Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I didn't see the pre-Convergence lineup as "just going through the motions". If that's all they're going back to, then that's exactly why I don't care and would probably prefer it. I don't really get what's so hard to understand about that. Its just differing tastes is all. In terms of sales, it just seems happenstance that the format I liked best is the one that was working best overall. The "Didio format" was selling better. I know that really sticks in the craw of some internet circles, but what can I say, the numbers don't lie.
    The gist of is that DC's telling their creators "Do what we want you do, not what you want do".

My issue is not that people prefer the kinds of stories that we were getting before, but that they are celebrating news that DC is reigning in creative freedom.

If creative teams wanted to tell Pre-Convergence style stories, then things would be different, but that's not what we're been told.

The "Batgirling" initiative was them telling the creators what to do too. It wasn't about just being creative. Remember, the initial mandate was essentially to give in some particularly "out there" ideas. So the reality is we really have no idea how much if at all the possibility of going back on that initiative could stifle creativity.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

The "Batgirling" initiative was them telling the creators what to do too. It wasn't about just being creative. Remember, the initial mandate was essentially to give in some particularly "out there" ideas. So the reality is we really have no idea how much if at all the possibility of going back on that initiative could stifle creativity.
    The Batgirl initiative was still DC asking their creators to pitch them ideas. The ideas were still a result of what the creators wanted to do, as creators weren't going to pitch DC ideas that they didn't want to do.

We don't know all the specifics, but judging by what we've been told, this is most definitely DC stifling creativity. Telling creators to go back to the way things were before, to cut short the ideas they pitched when they had the freedom to pitch whatever they wanted, is stifling creativity. Batgirling was DC telling their creators they could go outside the box, and now they're been told they have go back inside the box.

We're even hearing that DC has rescinded the 12 issue deal they had with the new titles, and they won't be approving as many new titles.

There's no for me to see this as anything but stifling creativity.

Out of the box and creativity aren't mutually exclusive ideas You can be creative with these properties without having to reinvent the wheel. That's not to say I outright reject out of the box thinking. But that simply is not the only way to tell creative stories with Superman and these other characters. I understand where you guys are coming from, I just don't think we're necessarily there yet. Its a leap from what we're hearing now to going to the idea of creators being upset because they can't be creative anymore. That hasn't been alluded to yet as any sort of consequence.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-26-2015 at 05:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I have been enjoying Truth because of the identity aspect but having him without powers has been the weakest aspect and is not needed to explore the other part, the main part of the story.
    If we're speaking strictly about the Truth story line then I'd argue that taking his powers and suit away are very much instrumental to making this story work. The story isn't simply about Superman having his secret out there. No. It's about Superman being stripped down naked of all the trapping that are we assume make him him. It becomes even more of a powerful idea when we realize that Superman bought into his own hype so to speak. He's self identity was shaken because some part of him thought that he was just the power, cape, suit, and alien touchstones.

Truth works so well because it throws Superman out into the world without all of his safety and says "go on and still be Superman somehow". The identity being exposed is but a small part of the ideas at work in Truth.

Shame to know that it may be wrapping before it's allowed to really fly as high as it's able.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I would find it hard to imagine anyone would want to leave just for having Superman go to his normal look and power set. I mean, that's what Pak and Kuder were doing (and excelling at), well before this anyway. And Superman's the one title that's set a bit in the past anyway so Yang's been working with just that set up to this point as well. There's really nothing to indicate anymore that this idea was the baby of any one guy or creative team set that might upset them to see it end to the point of wanting to leave. It probably would have never came about if DC hadn't mandated changing stuff up for the DCYou initiative in the first place. Thus its hard to see anyone being particularly married to the idea now.
    There's a difference between knowing you can't do something from the start, and being given the opportunity only to have your boss arrive at the last minute and change the boundaries once more, most likely derailling what you spent hours planning, writing, and drawing. Many teams have left books for just that.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

DC actually issued a specific rebuttal to this article today via Didio and Jim Lee. Now, once again, I think at the end of the day the truth of the matter (no pun intended) really was never going to have much of an effect on Superman as I firmly believe the t-shirt and jeans and lack of powers stint is coming to a close anyway, but still, felt it worth mentioning that DC denies this movement as a whole is coming to an end.