Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It's more like the latter Johns run than I expected, which I liked. The twist I kind of saw coming, but still liked a lot because I've been waiting around for her to come back since Brightest Day, and "evil twin" type stuff has been going on with Mera since the sixties. (Though Hila was more just flaky and "not Mera" than evil.)

I actually think it's the art that's been bugging me the most. I like McCarthy a lot, but I'm not really digging him as the Aquaman artist. But this was a solid issue, I can get behind (temporarily!) Aquaman's new outfit and trident being Poseidon things. I like the Lovecraftian bit tying back to King Atlan and some of that Johns-reworked-David ancient history that was well done back then. And I even like the notion of a team of enemies and how Garth has turned up. And Garth's costume a lot obviously. The story is growing stronger issue by issue, which is a relief. It's not up to Parker's "Maelstrom" levels yet. And I miss Pelletier.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

#43 won me over! Halfway through I was thinking 'This isn't turning out well!' -- but after the Poseidon scene after the big reveal with Siren, I didn't want it to end. The art style isn't necessarily to my liking, but the panel layouts and designs are beautiful and bombastic.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Well, I had dropped this because I wasn't crazy about the art, and I hated what seemed to be a nasty turn around for Mera. I may have to eat crow and hop back on.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Amazing Member

This was a great issue, the best of the arc so far and I think the story will continue to improve now that the flashback story seems to have concluded. I am so glad about the twist with Mera, I thought Bunn was destroying one of the best female heroes in the DC universe.

My only complaint is the artwork still doesn't work for me, it have improved but some of just doesn't look right.

My only problem with this issue is ... Garth's mullet.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    My only problem with this issue is ... Garth's mullet.
    That isn't a mullet. He just had long hair that he tied back into a pony tail.

Mmm, check again ... I can see the ponytail, but there are short strands of hair at his forehead. (Unless it's a bad rendering by the artist). That doesn't happen when the ponytail is that loose unless he has short hair as well.

Check this image http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...6-aqm_43_4.jpg that's business at the front and a party at the back.
    My fan fiction:

I find the flashbacks are a bit breaking in the flow of the book but otherwise I love it. Lots of cool stuff and like the introduction of Thule here.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Mmm, check again ... I can see the ponytail, but there are short strands of hair at his forehead. (Unless it's a bad rendering by the artist). That doesn't happen when the ponytail is that loose unless he has short hair as well.

Check this image http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...6-aqm_43_4.jpg that's business at the front and a party at the back.
    It's a ponytail. Trust me I have seen people like that. And he still has bangs on the side of each of his head.
    They designed like popular hair styles that are popular right now.

I know, I've got it haha

All the same, it could just be the artist's version of it. Like Aquaman's outfit, it may look better when I see someone else draw it. (Could be in Titans Hunt!!!)

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...jpg?1436563252
    Last edited by xMatt; 08-27-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    My fan fiction:

I know, I've got it haha

All the same, it could just be the artist's version of it. Like Aquaman's outfit, it may look better when I see someone else draw it. (Could be in Titans Hunt!!!)

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...jpg?1436563252
    But we can both agree. It's good that he's back.

And that ending probably brought a lot of people back to the book

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    And that ending probably brought a lot of people back to the book
    It feels like I've been waiting forever to see her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    I find the flashbacks are a bit breaking in the flow of the book but otherwise I love it. Lots of cool stuff and like the introduction of Thule here.
    Yeah, two different stories behind the main story makes just made it seem like the action couldn't have been less important. The opening flashback was a little too heavy handed with the foreshadowing. I would've hoped that Siren could be a little more subtle.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This isn't doing it for me at all. Maybe I was just spoiled by those super cool Parker issues, but big 'meh' from me. Maybe with a better suited artist?

I really enjoyed McCarthy's work on Batwoman a few years ago. On this comic however, while he has some great panel designs and layouts, I'm not particularly liking his art. I love the Lovecraftian influences and the plot and, with the recent reveals, am enjoying the pacing a lot more, too. But I did consider dropping it if I didn't like this issue.

Have you checked out solicits for the next few months? McCarthy is still on, but the plot sounds ... interesting. (Alien worlds! Orm!)
    My fan fiction: