Super Moderator

Default SPOILERS: Lois Lane's "Truth" Comes Out in Yang & Romita Jr's "Superman" #43

In today's "Superman" #43 by Gene Luen Yang and John Romita Jr., we learn the circumstances behind the world learning the "Truth" about Clark Kent.

Full article here.

I had a feeling it would go down like this. Bleeding Cool hinted at it a few months ago and it does make sense. Lois would have to be pushed into a corner to do something like this and Hordor was extorting Superman already. There's no question it would've gotten worse the longer it went on. That said, I feel like the overall impact was...flat. It was kind of rushed and a bit forced, like neither Lois nor Superman exhausted all options. They just went straight for the worst option available and that's just now what Superman does. At the very least, it catches this series up with the events of the rest of the books. I just hope this means we come closer to Superman getting his powers back. The whole de-powered story is starting to get boring.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

All-New Member

Stupid. Pointless. Desperate sales generating ploy. Just proves the lack of faith that DC has in the inspirational aspects of Superman and Lois Lane. Like any other cheap play the Big Two use, this will come back to haunt the overall DC Universe and the writers...until another reboot, retcon, or other story trickery.

It made lots of sense and was justified, but for the wait we had to endure to get the answer, the actual scenes were a bit of a letdown. That's the thing when you do a set up like this, in which you know something is going to happen but just don't know how: when you finally see the how, its gotta be pretty big. This was, on its own, good, but combined with all the build-up and hype behind it, not as satisfying as it could have and should have been.

But again, on the plus side it makes perfect sense, it gave us insight into Lois's ultimate motivation, and doesn't hurt her character in the least which was the main worry here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It made lots of sense and was justified, but for the wait we had to endure to get the answer, the actual scenes were a bit of a letdown. That's the thing when you do a set up like this, in which you know something is going to happen but just don't know how: when you finally see the how, its gotta be pretty big. This was, on its own, good, but combined with all the build-up and hype behind it, not as satisfying as it could have and should have been.

But again, on the plus side it makes perfect sense, it gave us insight into Lois's ultimate motivation, and doesn't hurt her character in the least which was the main worry here.
    This will probably sound strange but I am not a Superman fan, I gave this a shot because I have always and will always have a soft spot for Lois Lane and wanted to see if she was thrown under the bus or not. Well in the last few issues Superman has used his "new" power what feels like a million times, and I just want Lois to get her own book as i think this story was actually a pretty good thing for her. Other than that it did nothing to endear Superman to me and i'm sure I'm dropping it after I find out what happens with Lois next issue.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

For a better Superman experience I would check out Action Comics by Pak and Kuder. That is by far the best representation of him in a long time. If you don't feel that, then indeed Superman just might not be your thing.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PatColeman View Post
    Stupid. Pointless. Desperate sales generating ploy. Just proves the lack of faith that DC has in the inspirational aspects of Superman and Lois Lane. Like any other cheap play the Big Two use, this will come back to haunt the overall DC Universe and the writers...until another reboot, retcon, or other story trickery.
    agree. DC sold this as Lois betraying Superman, it wasn't what happened. so DC was marketing this for people who hate Lois, good luck with numbers going down.
    why so hard see the best of superman and lois? why can't them be great together instead of cheap drama

All-New Member

I agree with those who said the marketing for this was a problem.
    Last edited by Maya; 08-27-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: wrong place

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PatColeman View Post
    Seconded. Hopefully the reboot, retcon, or whatever the hell, will come sooner than later.

Fantastic Member

I'm a Lois fan and did not find the marketing upsetting.

Are people so insistent that their favorite characters be paragons of virtue that they won't except marketing that plays up inter-character tension? Superman feels (initially) betrayed by something Lois did. That holds true. Can we all lighten up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    I'm a Lois fan and did not find the marketing upsetting.

Are people so insistent that their favorite characters be paragons of virtue that they won't except marketing that plays up inter-character tension? Superman feels (initially) betrayed by something Lois did. That holds true. Can we all lighten up?
    It's more that DC put a definite spin on Lois as an outright traitor and put out a godawful faux article she supposedly wrote for the reveal that made her look far worse than what was the truth. Also, without a fairly immediate answer to the question, people were able to speculate and hate on Lois for months calling her everything from a whore to a bitch who deserved be killed for what she did. With months for this hatred to simmer, some were predisposed and continue to want to bash Lois even though her motives have been revealed to be, in my opinion, sympathetic. Now, I don't want to make unfair generalizations. There have been some patient, optimistic, and moderate fans who were considerate and thoughtful throughout all of this. Even though they definitely made this easier to deal with, it still stung to see headlines, posts, and tweets that sometimes used violent and sexist language to attack Lois, before we knew all of the facts, just because DC and the media played up her betrayal the way they did.