• Spider-Man (2003)

6 7.79%
  • Spectacular Spider-Man

1 1.30%
  • Ultimate Spider-Man

37 48.05%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Worst Spider-Man Animated Series

I've seen polls for the best Spider-Man animated series and over the last fifty years we have seen plenty of them. I was wondering which one people considered to be the worst. If you would like, comment on why you didn't like that particular series.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

I think it was Spectacular Spider-Man that I borrowed a DVD of from the library where he was in high school and had a cell phone, then always had to call Aunt May while he was in the middle of fighting a bad guy to tell her he would be home late?

That one was pretty moronic. (And I didn't like the art with miserable redesigns of classic villains.)

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I've seen polls for the best Spider-Man animated series and over the last fifty years we have seen plenty of them. I was wondering which one people considered to be the worst. If you would like, comment on why you didn't like that particular series.
    I think worst of lists are problematic. One would think that people watched every available episode of what they considered the best series. No one is going to watch too much of something they didn't like. So, it's really more a question of which series failed the worst when one saw what little of it they were willing to sit through.

That said, I completely forgot about Spider-Man Unlimited. God, that was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think it was Spectacular Spider-Man that I borrowed a DVD of from the library where he was in high school and had a cell phone, then always had to call Aunt May while he was in the middle of fighting a bad guy to tell her he would be home late?

That one was pretty moronic. (And I didn't like the art with miserable redesigns of classic villains.)
    I actually think Spectacular was the best animated adaptation of Spider-Man. In fact, I think it's the best adaptation of Spider-Man I've run across, period. (Probably doesn't hurt that they were pretty much doing a 21st century adaptation of the Lee/Ditko stories.)

Ah, well.

Spider-Man Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I respect your opinion dude. ^^

Here's hoping people aren't dogmatic enough to take it personal.
    Last edited by TheLemsterPju; 08-26-2015 at 03:40 PM.

From what I have seen, hands down Ultimate Spider-Man.

Spectacular is my all time favorite followed by the 90's series. I know it is most likely not well liked, but I actually really liked the New Animated series with Neil Patrick Harris as Peter.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm pretty sure I watched the one episode adapting the Wolverine body switch story, and Spidey broke the fourth wall. Didn't love it, but Unlimited is pretty easily the most unsatisfying of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    From what I have seen, hands down Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Agreed, Spider-Man should be funny and talkative, but in this show he's just downright annoying and unlikable. I feel bad for his guest stars. It's easy to see why Hawkeye or Wolverine are resistant to the idea of working alongside him. (The only character more obnoxious on the show is Nova.)

Spectacular is my all time favorite followed by the 90's series. I know it is most likely not well liked, but I actually really liked the New Animated series with Neil Patrick Harris as Peter.
    The writing and direction on Spectacular was great, they did an incredible job adapting "The Master Planner Saga," I honestly got misty eyed when he's buried under the rubble as the room floods with water. I also thought tying the Black Cat's origin to the burglar who shot Uncle Ben was a stroke of brilliance. (I wouldn't even mind if that eventually was retconned into the comic book mythos.)

I love the really old series as well, sure they were silly and reused animation, but the various voice actors for Peter Parker really sold the smart ass remarks to his adversaries.

I would have to say Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man Unlimited.

I know it is most likely not well liked, but I actually really liked the New Animated series with Neil Patrick Harris as Peter.
    I liked that one too. The special guest voices they had were pretty big names too. Kathy Griffin, Michael Clarke Duncan, and Eve are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Which one's the one where he's voiced by Drake Bell? I liked it at first but the inclusion of other heroes so early on took away from the Spider-Man aspect of the story and devolved into "Spider-Man and friends (Heroes for Hire)".

Hands down Ultimate Spider-Man. While the comics showed that Spider-Man could have some form of connection to SHIELD, I can't help but find them making the series about him being trained by SHIELD to take away from the fact that it's Spider-Man who is practically the poster child for teen hero who learned by experience rather than training. A lot of the drama in Peter's life is completely missing and, while I like him being an Avenger in the comics, him being on a team 24/7 and never really doing his solo hero thing takes away from the experience. Also really not a fan of how the show in recent points has increasingly made Spider-Man the focus while Peter Parker actually has entire stretches when he never appears in spite of the duel identity aspect of his life being a major point. The show just doesn't feel like it gets Spider-Man and instead just wanted to sell toys.

BANNED

Spider-Man Unlimited, hands down. Probably the 2003 series behind that. And, despite its historical importance and classic theme song, the '67 series doesn't hold up at all and is damn near impossible to watch today. And while I would never call it "bad", add me to the list of fans unimpressed by Spectacular Spider-Man. Good writing but awful, awful character designs.

While I'm sure it'll get plenty of votes in this poll, I love Ultimate Spider-Man. I'd actually rank that as one of the best Spidey animated shows, along with the '90s Fox series. I might have not given it a shot but having a kid who's a fan of it has made me appreciate its appeal.

iMan 42s

While the 90's series definitely has shown its age I personally dislike Ultimate Spider-man. Ultimate in it's early life sucked. I started to really like it when Iron Patriot showed up though I'm not sure if I enjoyed it because I enjoyed the new portrayal of Norman rather than the comics unapologetically villainess version. To be honest, I can't stand Drake Bell in his standard spidey shtick but he is allright when he takes the role seriously but his is far from my favorite portrayal. Ultimate is kind of hit and miss for me and mostly miss.

I remember trying to follow the show when it first came on and as soon as I finished the part when he first got the Iron Spider I kind of gave up on the series. The newer stuff is indeed better but I wish it would have been good when it first came out and not a couple years later.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Objectively, I'd say the 60's cartoon.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

The way I see it is that there was bound to be a new interpretation of the character at some point. I compare how Ultimate Spider-Man is to Spider-Man as the 80s and current TMNT shows are to the Mirage comics. Only with TMNT the drastic change in tone between incarnations came so early and were more mainstream that it became more cemented in most people's minds than the original comics. Spider-Man has had pretty much the same personality for a little over 50 years in all media....until the Ultimate cartoon when it began to pander to the "new" younger audience.

I would say that since he's been the same guy for half a century with very little change, most fans would take that as his 'definite' characterization. But I still can't get mad at Ultimate for taking a chance and wanting to be different. Personally, I think that's were a lot of the hatred for it comes from. It's so unfamiliar that it created whiplash immediately when the first episode aired, and the impression is still kept in many fan's minds.

So no. I can't say "It's not Spider-Man", because something like Ultimate was bound to happen eventually. Just like with TMNT, only much much later.

That and coming after Spectacular Spider-Man was unfortunate timing. Still, I can't selfishly fault the show for that.