• Spider-Man (2003)

6 7.79%
  • Spectacular Spider-Man

1 1.30%
  • Ultimate Spider-Man

37 48.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

MTV Spider-Man by far....what was the point of that series anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    MTV Spider-Man by far....what was the point of that series anyways?
    Cashing in on the insane pop-cultural phenomenon that was the movie? It was inevitable that a new Spidey animated series would be launched. Even the less successful X-Men movie triggered X-Men: Evolution.

The series was alright. MTV could have done so much worse. Like Unlimited and Ultimate.

Fantastic Member

I thought the MTV series was okay. However I felt it wrote itself into a corner trying to have it in the same continuity as the Raimi films. Plus there was the lack of important characters such as Aunt May. And it had too many original villains. Some of them being knock-offs of villains from the comics.

And in the regards to the 90s show, I liked the first season the most. Good strong episodes, good use of the villains who get to shine in their own episodes solo without being tied to Kingpin(who is also used only when necessary in this season and didn't seem forced in any of the episodes). We rarely got that afterwards. Season 2 was good, but the decline started here with Kingpin being over used and it's animation quality also started to drop and got worse each season.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Cashing in on the insane pop-cultural phenomenon that was the movie? It was inevitable that a new Spidey animated series would be launched. Even the less successful X-Men movie triggered X-Men: Evolution.

The series was alright. MTV could have done so much worse. Like Unlimited and Ultimate.
    at least Spider-Man Actually fought villains in those shows instead of generic thugs and new guys for The MTV Show.....he didn't even get to fight any really iconic spider-man villains aside from Kraven And Electro(also depends on if you want to count kingpin but i forgot if he did much at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    at least Spider-Man Actually fought villains in those shows instead of generic thugs and new guys for The MTV Show.....he didn't even get to fight any really iconic spider-man villains aside from Kraven And Electro(also depends on if you want to count kingpin but i forgot if he did much at all)
    You forgot about Lizard (that they killed in the same episode) and Silver Sable (the one who most resembles to the comics version).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Saga View Post
    You forgot about Lizard (that they killed in the same episode) and Silver Sable (the one who most resembles to the comics version).
    the lizard was such a waste....wasn't even worth mentioning

and the series ended on such a depressing note that i can't think highly of it

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    Ultimate Spider-man. I don't hate the show, but it portrays the characters like morons. Probably the most irresponsible portrayal of Peter. The show constantly does 4th wall breaking jokes(which for the most part aren't even funny). Out of all the main characters, the only one that's actually likeable is Iron Fist.

Now I've heard that the recent seasons are better, but now it's a case of too little too late.

I think judging something just by the art is even dumber. Which at least 90% of the people that dislike Spectacular do. I mean it's one thing to be turned off by the art(it is pretty much an acquired taste), but to determine the overall quality of the show just because you don't like it's visuals is rather shallow and also show's that person's validity as a critic. That's pretty much the equivalent of saying a bad game with good graphics is better than a good game with inferior graphics.
    You mean like how people reacted to windwaker. Also what do you have against USSM version of white tiger?

Incredible Member

I strongly suspect people who dislike Ultimate Spider-Man tend to be those who followed Spider-Man for a very long time, as opposed to people who only have a casual interest.

Nothing right or wrong in it, but there is a reason why Disney keeps renewing it season after season.

NOTE: Resurrecting a thread from 2015.
    This thread / poll was created in August 2015 and the last response was posted in early November of that same year.

Due to the fact this poll was created in 2015, the 2017 series Marvel's Spider-Man was not included.

At last check, poll results seemed to show that the Ultimate Spider-Man series from 2012 was the least popular of the poll choices.
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2012) = 34 votes
    Spider-Man Unlimited (1999) = 17 votes
    Spider-Man (1967) = 6 votes
    Spider-Man (2003) = 6 votes
    All other choices had only one vote each.

Any new thoughts on this subject? Any thoughts on how the 2017 series compared to the other previous ones?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Any new thoughts on this subject? Any thoughts on how the 2017 series compared to the other previous ones?
    My thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man are...mixed.

I think, on the level of being a Spider-Man cartoon, it is much better then Ultimate. And, on it's own terms, a fairly fun and solid show.

On the other hand, I think it is also the worst looking of all the modern Spider-Man cartoons.

It also has a bad habit of introducing a lot of interesting ideas or concepts and just not doing anything with them, on-top of having a severely underdeveloped supporting cast and characters who the show introduces but never really does anything with.

The voice cast is pretty solid even if the cast often either don't get the best material or aren't given much to work with. I feel like Robbie Daymond has grown into a pretty solid Spider-Man VA but I feel bad that he's probably not going to be well-remembered in the role once this show is over.

This has been pointed out in other threads but I think the most truest statement about the show is that it was completely eclipsed by basically everything else Spider-Man related that came out around it.

By the way, in the short time since I bumped up this poll from last night, we've gone to:
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2012) = 35 votes (+1)
    Spider-Man Unlimited (1999) = 18 votes (+1)
    Spider-Man (1967) = 7 votes (+1)
    Spider-Man (2003) = 6 votes
    Spider-Man (1981) = 2 votes (+1)
    All other choices still had only one vote each.