Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Review: Old Man Logan #4

So another short issue very little dialogue and story. Although Sorrentino's art fits perfectly for the Battleworld's Deadlands, just wish these issues were a bit longer, the original Old Man Logan storyline felt like you were getting a lot of information on the world before moving on.

*Spoiler*

So this version of Logan had a weak healing factor due to age but somehow is able to expel the Zombie virus wtf. In the original Marvel Zombies a young Wolverine became infected.

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcross View Post
    So another short issue very little dialogue and story. Although Sorrentino's art fits perfectly for the Battleworld's Deadlands, just wish these issues were a bit longer, the original Old Man Logan storyline felt like you were getting a lot of information on the world before moving on.

*Spoiler*

So this version of Logan had a weak healing factor due to age but somehow is able to expel the Zombie virus wtf. In the original Marvel Zombies a young Wolverine became infected.
    Yeah this is just bad writing, I said the same thing when I saw wolverine get bit.

I don't think it's bad writing, but it's definitely Bendis at his most decompressed. Logan slashes stuff, gets knocked somewhere, slashes more stuff. Repeat.

Not that I agree with John Byrne a lot, but I see what he's talking about when he complains that this kind of story used to be told in one issue.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed View Post
    Yeah this is just bad writing, I said the same thing when I saw wolverine get bit.
    Well, he has plot armor as we know he survives SW to come to 616.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed the mini as a whole. At very least, it proved Bendis has a good understanding of the Battleworld framework, which opposes a lot of the attacks of harsh Ultimate End critics. Of course, we knew that this last issue of OML had to explain how he got where he got, because the previous issue of UE saw him show up there.

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    I enjoyed the mini as a whole. At very least, it proved Bendis has a good understanding of the Battleworld framework, which opposes a lot of the attacks of harsh Ultimate End critics. Of course, we knew that this last issue of OML had to explain how he got where he got, because the previous issue of UE saw him show up there.
    No. It doesn't. All of Bendis' flaws have not been more apparent than during Secret War. OML is as decompressed as a story can possibly be, Ultimate End as as continuity screwed up as can possibly be. He has lost his touch.

She-Hulk doesn't know that the Hulk Clan got SMASHED? Is she really THE she-hulk?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcross View Post
    I'm wondering if this is just a mistake on Bendis' part or there's something about OML that makes him special (aside from plot armor because they want him to survive and join the new Marvel U, that is). Probably the former, but would be cool if they followed up on this and there was some reason why he was able to heal from the zombie virus while other versions of Logan could not.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBatmanSuparmanParker View Post
    She-Hulk doesn't know that the Hulk Clan got SMASHED? Is she really THE she-hulk?
    She's clearly not the She-Hulk from the OML timeline.

A very quick read, but had good emotion behind it. Logan In Hell deserved more focus on the art than the writing, anyways. I can't wait for the conclusion and for the moody Lemire to take over OML duties.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    She's clearly not the She-Hulk from the OML timeline.
    Yeah, wasn't she wearing a Fantastic 4 costume? I think that would land her as an 80s She-Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    A very quick read, but had good emotion behind it. Logan In Hell deserved more focus on the art than the writing, anyways. I can't wait for the conclusion and for the moody Lemire to take over OML duties.

Yeah, wasn't she wearing a Fantastic 4 costume? I think that would land her as an 80s She-Hulk.
    Yeah, it's unclear what realm she was from, especially since some domains have a clear She-Hulk. I get the sense there are a lot of "strays" out there who are not from a specific domain but just showed up on Battleworld. I'm just going to assume she's from the Regency, since that was a pretty old-school Marvel U before the Regent's takeover, until somebody says otherwise.

While I really really liked those first few pages of Logan's inner and outer turmoil, it really feels like this series has completely lost its focus.

Logan is barely an active participant in the goings-on of his own mini, and there isn't enough introspection or character moments to showcase the things that set him apart from the ol' 616 Canucklehead. His goal for leaving his realm and climbing the Wall has never been made clear, and though his road trip through Battleworld could provide interesting moments to see how he'd react to different worlds and alternate versions of the people he once knew, Bendis always went the other way and showed how those alternate versions react to seeing him, which feels somewhat hollow due to the fact that a) those aren't the characters one buys a Wolverine comic to know about, and b) all of those characters are already featured in other series, to which them meeting Old Man Logan isn't important.

Also, when you combine Sorrentino's art - which, don't get me wrong, is excellent, but also very expansive and requires a lot of "real estate" to showcase the smallest moments - with Bendis' decompressed writing style (which has reached new levels in this mini: there are literally four pages between a throw and a landing), that leaves you with a very pretty comic but without a lot of substance. This fourth issue happens to be better than the previous two (mainly because of Logan's introspective moments and his quiet interactions with She-Hulk), but that's not saying a lot. For a 5-part mini, coming to the end of the penultimate issue with so little personal progression (sure, Logan started off in his realm and now he's in another place. But since he just so happened to get there and was such a passive part in his own adventures, it doesn't really feel like an achievement or a worthwhile progression to the story) feels very hollow. I don't know what Bendis wanted to say with Old Man Logan, but if all he wanted was to take Logan on a guided tour through Battleworld, then that's kinda too little when there was so much potential in the concept he sold us on.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Yeah, it's unclear what realm she was from, especially since some domains have a clear She-Hulk. I get the sense there are a lot of "strays" out there who are not from a specific domain but just showed up on Battleworld. I'm just going to assume she's from the Regency, since that was a pretty old-school Marvel U before the Regent's takeover, until somebody says otherwise.
    Didn't she have a 4 on her uniform? Wouldn't that mean she was from a time when she was part of the Fantastic Four?

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

I really like the story but that's because I wasn't expecting too many revelations to come out of a tie-in book. It's fun to see an alternate alibi older Wolverine venture around the different Battleworld domains; wasn't that the basic gist of the original OML story? Traveling around like a Clint Eastwood character kicking butt. It's just fun and the art is a treat. Yes it is decompressed, but the whole event has been decompressed. If you're looking for stories that aren't decompressed these days then I think there's a limited amount of books out there that do that. Decompression is the standard these days, whether that be good or bad.

this whole "story" could have been summarized in one decent double splash panel so far...

seriously... how much do they pay Bendis for a "story" like this?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html