View Poll Results: Do you accept this teen Jean Grey?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 45.86%
  • No

85 54.14%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I think "I don't really care." should be an option. Maybe i'm just simple but she's jean to me. Whether it is this version of Jean or they bring back the original incarnation of Jean the character still sort of seems like Jean. Maybe it's because there has been so many stories about young Jean that it just doesn't feel like there is some sort of gap or alternate reality swap going on here. It literally feels to me like what it was intended to be, we saw Jean's life from a teen and how it ended tragically, instead of erasing history they just yanked her from the past and gave her a second chance. It doesn't erase the complete story Jean had. Now that hope B.S would have been trash.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think "I don't really care." should be an option. Maybe i'm just simple but she's jean to me. Whether it is this version of Jean or they bring back the original incarnation of Jean the character still sort of seems like Jean. Maybe it's because there has been so many stories about young Jean that it just doesn't feel like there is some sort of gap or alternate reality swap going on here. It literally feels to me like what it was intended to be, we saw Jean's life from a teen and how it ended tragically, instead of erasing history they just yanked her from the past and gave her a second chance. It doesn't erase the complete story Jean had. Now that hope B.S would have been trash.
    If you don't care then you don't have to vote. Same goes for presidential races. But judging by your second comment it sounds like you accept her a Jean.

For me it's not so much a matter of that I dislike her as much as how she's been written since she arrived. I hate how she's constantly been invading people's minds and the only time there was any repercussions was when the Cuckoos psychically smacked her down when she tried controlling Warren. She abuses her powers and nobody does anything about it and they treat her like a Purity Sue who can do no wrong. So while I accept her being around, I don't really like her character and wish they would either bring back her adult self or let her meet her adult self to learn a little humility.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    For me it's not so much a matter of that I dislike her as much as how she's been written since she arrived. I hate how she's constantly been invading people's minds and the only time there was any repercussions was when the Cuckoos psychically smacked her down when she tried controlling Warren. She abuses her powers and nobody does anything about it and they treat her like a Purity Sue who can do no wrong. So while I accept her being around, I don't really like her character and wish they would either bring back her adult self or let her meet her adult self to learn a little humility.

If I remember correctly before the Cuckoos delivered to Jeen a well deserved smackdown, weren't they causally invading her mind without permission? Not to attack you personally but this is often the reason cited as for some readers not liking the character and yet I can't think of a time when a X-telepath DIDN'T casually read minds without permission and no one ever comments on that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If you don't care then you don't have to vote. Same goes for presidential races. But judging by your second comment it sounds like you accept her a Jean.
    I should have said It doesn't matter to me instead. If Teen Jean disappeared tomorrow and regular Jean showed up it simply would not change my outlook on the character. In this case, for the reasons i previously posted Jean just feels like Jean. I would be just as satisfied with resurrected Jean continuing her life as I am with the idea of Jean getting to do it all over again and her original ending being just that, a tragic end to an amazing life. While the execution was terrible I do believe the intent for what this young Jean is suppose to represent was a good idea and contains a lot of potential for the character and others. Also, for the record I didn't vote.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Also the poll asks if you accept "this" teen Jean. That implies that it is a different Jean which is why i specifically stated she is just Jean to me. Hope that clarifies.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Important word there being Bendis. We all know by now that he often follows his own continuity so any claims characters make in his stories are to be held suspect until they are confirmed by at least one or two other writers in their own stories.
    Well, not quite. Gillen did it first, and it seems like that's what's editorially accepted at present.

Anyway: Yes, I do accept her. She is very much Jean Grey-- there's really no denying that. Do I have a problem with how she's been portrayed up until now? At certain points, yes, I do. But Bendis is gone now and Lemire seems to very much get Jean. She will likely be turning into the woman that we know and that we love in EXM.

Would I prefer the adult Jean back? Hell yeah, but being realistic, that isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    If I remember correctly before the Cuckoos delivered to Jeen a well deserved smackdown, weren't they causally invading her mind without permission? Not to attack you personally but this is often the reason cited as for some readers not liking the character and yet I can't think of a time when a X-telepath DIDN'T casually read minds without permission and no one ever comments on that!!!
    Most likely the fact that with other telepaths, it's more of a background thing that they've done it but with Jeen, it's probably the combination of that it's Jean so she's held to a higher standard than, say Emma on telepathy abuse, and that they feel the need to make these scenes out of it with her (off the top of my head her manipulating Warren twice, the Bobby thing & causing a scene when they met the Uncanny Avengers. While there's more, those are the ones that stand out for me considering she shows no regard for other people's privacy and just does it). It was one thing when she couldn't control her powers, but that ship set sail a long time ago and she still does it.

I cannot believe Jean fans have stooped so low to Marvel's level!!!!! The REAL, adult Jean Grey SHOULD come back, not this teenager AU.

Amazing Member

prefer her to old jean, she seems to have more layers...

I accept her as a 21st century version of the character. I haven't read too many books from the classic era, but she's definitely been modernised by Bendis. I don't hate her, but I don't think they've really done her character enough justice.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Fantastic Member

I take it as being better than having no Jean Grey at all, plus it's hard for me to really dislike that she's been an important character in the X-verse since Bendis brought her around, and is apparently continuing as such with Lemire. Plus I'm nostalgic for different "eras" of Jean Grey such as the X-Factor days and teen years, only with the latter the initial material featuring her is somewhat lacking, so a time traveled teen Jean works decently well for me. And thus far I think I'm liking it better than I would a hypothetical Hope not being tossed by the wayside situation - as imo she was pretty transparently a stand-in character, and at least with Jeen there's no need to claim otherwise.
    Last edited by Rising7; 08-27-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Nope. I have no problem with the character, but it was just like Ultimate Anything or any other alternate version or out of continuity story, at the end of the day it still feels like Jean Grey is dead (like everyone else who did not make it to Battleworld, I guess.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Most likely the fact that with other telepaths, it's more of a background thing that they've done it but with Jeen, it's probably the combination of that it's Jean so she's held to a higher standard than, say Emma on telepathy abuse, and that they feel the need to make these scenes out of it with her (off the top of my head her manipulating Warren twice, the Bobby thing & causing a scene when they met the Uncanny Avengers. While there's more, those are the ones that stand out for me considering she shows no regard for other people's privacy and just does it). It was one thing when she couldn't control her powers, but that ship set sail a long time ago and she still does it.
    Funny because that is really the only thing that I don't like about her character too. I mean Im not a hardcore fan like some others but I generally like her but I really hope she stops abusing her power.
    Violence against women is frowned upon but really if you constantly disrespect the privacy even of people that you call friends then you deserve to get smacked by someone for it.
    Honestly the biggest problem with how it was portrayed was that people were unhappy that she did it but never did they say that she should stop it or anything like that.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    I cannot believe Jean fans have stooped so low to Marvel's level!!!!! The REAL, adult Jean Grey SHOULD come back, not this teenager AU.
    After the "Siege Perilous", Ororo was a child again. Then she was just in a child body. And suddenly she was her adult-self again. Things can change at an author's whim over the length of a single issue. So who can tell what will happen with Jeen?

For whatever reason, Marvel kept Jean dead for more than 8 years. Maybe there is a reason. Maybe there isn't. Maybe Bendis was sneaky enough to find the only acceptable way, for Marvel, to bring Jean back in the books even if that mean using the back door. What count is that she is now in the books: at any time a new author may take the next step and, more or less subtely, change her to the adult version. Such status quo/character changes keep happening, with the flimsiest justifications, so there is no reasons it can't happen in the case of Jeen.