Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Avengers World #7 - Thoughts and Spoilers

Hey all. Just thought I'd handle the spoilers and discussions for this month's edition of Avengers World. Suffice to say, I definitely think that Avenger's World has become a title that is pretty under the radar within the Avengers family of books. There haven't been many threads or discussions devoted to it over the past couple of months. Indeed, though I've been reading past issues, I haven't been that compelled to write about them. I picked up this issue as it appeared to be a continuation of Shang-Chi's story back in Avenger's World #3. Moreover, it also looked to be a spotlight on Falcon, who is a pretty cool Avenger. The issue did pick up on both of those threads, but it 's main intent was DEFINITELY something much different. For me, it's something I'm TOTALLY excited about. At the same time, I find the timing of this reveal to be ironic, considering the anniversary of today.

Egads, sorry for being cryptic! My thoughts follow below. Be warned! There are spoilers ahead!

- Though the cover of the issue was a little misleading, we did get to somewhat of a spotlight on Falcon. I was intrigued with the fact that he mentioned how inadequate he felt when compared to the other Avengers. I think it's a common complaint that a lot of fans have and something I've been guilty of as well. What does Falcon bring to the Avengers table? The guy flies and talk with birds. Still, I was getting this sense of the common man from Falcon. He brings this normal perspective to the world of the Avengers and, from the comments he gave at the end of the issue, a hopeful one.

- I remember a huge complaint that posters had with Avengers World #3 was why Shang went up against Gorgon alone. Why didn't he wait for Wolverine, Black Widow, and Falcon? I was glad to see that addressed in this issue, with Falcon explaining how Shang was a loner.

- Alright, let's discuss the main reveal of this issue: S.P.E.A.R. and the Ascendants. I can't tell you how awesome it is to see China's version of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers. Off the bat, I'm digging the fact that Marvel isn't going presenting this group as a shady, evil, self-interested, human rights hating, CCP loving organization. Too often, I think that in various media, especially in comics, China is presented in this way. I'm glad to read that S.P.E.A.R. addressed these suspicious concerns early on and that they are willing to work with and assist others. Falcon looking forward to team-up with the Acendants shows that this could be a positive thing.

AT THE SAME TIME, however, there's still that hint of suspicion, that maybe S.P.E.A.R. and the Ascendants are a shady, evil, self-interested, human rights hating, CCP loving organization or at the very least, have some of those elements present among their ranks. Reading Xian Zheng's description of how China was taking it's place and Maria Hill's comments about a few hundred new problems points to the fact that there could be.....conflicts in the future. Indeed, as I mentioned previously, the timing of this issue is pretty ironic, considering today is the 25th anniversary of the student massacre that occurred in Tiananmen Square.

- Very cool to see the heroes that make up the Ascendants. I like the fact that the majority of members of the Ascendants don't appear to be rooted in Chinese culture. I think that was the problem with DC's the Great Ten. All of the heroes were based on Chinese culture, legend, and mythology, which is alright. However, I'm glad that Marvel decided to present these Chinese characters in American superhero trappings. Modern Chinese audiences love American superheroes and the characteristics of American superheroes. If you want to make Chinese heroes that appeal to them, it would be better to have a Chinese character in an Iron Man suit or sporting a cape and cowl rather than wearing some traditional Chinese clothing and doing Kung Fu. That being said, however, I'm totally pumped to see Sun Wukong as a part of this team. Yeah, yeah, I know I ragged on him before, but I see how he's a good fit for this team. He brings just enough of the traditional Chinese mythology to the Ascedants.

- Final point......................................Shang-Chi........................................leader of the Ascendants? Nope, wouldn't mind that at all .

In any case, for those who aren't paying attention to Avengers World, I definitely say you should pick up this issue. Yeah, I'm biased, but still a great issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I really enjoy this book and good to see it is still focusing on the "lesser" avengers.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I loved this issue. The reveal of SPEAR and Ascendants was just fantastic. I loved that line the "The Shield in the west, The Spear in the east." I have to agree with you, I feel like this series doesn't get much attention and its a shame, I like this much more than the main Avengers title because how it's more character focused. The art is fantastic and I liked how Sam was the main focus in this issue and I also have to agree. I like how he ponders about his significance in the Avengers, kind of thinking what most people think about him. "He can fly and talk to birds." Now we're seeing he's more than that and he's in the front lines to protect Shanghai from being attacked by Gorgon and the dragon. Brilliant issue, definitely looking forward to the next one.

All-New Member

i only had the chance to skim this stuff before, but i cannot wait to sink into this issue. i've been a big fan of Hickman's greater Marvel work, and to see Nick Spencer pick up threads from SHIELD and Secret Warriors (with SW alum Casseli, too) has been a treat. i really enjoyed the Secret Avengers book he wrote until Ales Kot took over and made it something else, but at least Spencer is taking the things he developed over there, like the AIM High Council and the Cult of Entropy, and continuing to flesh them out.

The SPEAR stuff has been referenced before in the long-delayed SHIELD comic, Tien Long, so if you're more interested in China's premier defense agency you should check out that book too.

Spencer and Caselli are doing a great job on this book.
    I always like when we see more teams outside America, it makes sense for China and others countries to have their own heroes.
    I'm totally digging Weather Witch's design, not a fan of the name though, the rest seem a bit generic but I agree is better than a team of cliches.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBeetle View Post
    I always like when we see more teams outside America, it makes sense for China and others countries to have their own heroes.
    Agreed. The main thing I'd like from Marvel is one or two books that don't centre around America personally speaking, fingers crossed it happens.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Agreed. The main thing I'd like from Marvel is one or two books that don't centre around America personally speaking, fingers crossed it happens.
    it's taken this long to get books that don't focus on New York City, so there is hope.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmidt View Post
    it's taken this long to get books that don't focus on New York City, so there is hope.
    There is. I'm just going to wait patiently is all lol.

SHIELD, HAMMER, SPEAR I am detecting a theme.

I like the idea of teams in other part of the world I just hope they get used on a regular basis. I fear they will be in the dust bin like Alpha flight and M-13. I don't need to have a monthly book but maybe mention them in events and show up now and them.

Wonder why no Radioactive man last I recall he was on his way to China.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBeetle View Post
    I'm totally digging Weather Witch's design, not a fan of the name though, the rest seem a bit generic but I agree is better than a team of cliches.
    China has went through several teams China Force, the Eight Immortals, the People's Defense Force, the Dynasty which Weather Witch and Saber were members and now the Ascendant.
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 06-04-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    I loved this issue. The reveal of SPEAR and Ascendants was just fantastic. I loved that line the "The Shield in the west, The Spear in the east." I have to agree with you, I feel like this series doesn't get much attention and its a shame, I like this much more than the main Avengers title because how it's more character focused. The art is fantastic and I liked how Sam was the main focus in this issue and I also have to agree. I like how he ponders about his significance in the Avengers, kind of thinking what most people think about him. "He can fly and talk to birds." Now we're seeing he's more than that and he's in the front lines to protect Shanghai from being attacked by Gorgon and the dragon. Brilliant issue, definitely looking forward to the next one.
    Yeah that line really popped out at me and I loved it. I'm really enjoying this series but man oh man do I wish it were double shipping. So much is going on and I have to re-read issue so I don't forget anything.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

I thought this was a solid issue. It's just a bit slow in tying in all these divergent threads together. Like the introduction of Spear and the Ascendants. Is this a reference to the Shield series?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    SHIELD, HAMMER, SPEAR I am detecting a theme.
    Don't forget SWORD.

Regarding this issue itself, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't really get a continuation of Avengers World 3, nor did we get much development for Falcon aside from his internal monologue.

However, I do like the idea of SPEAR. What would have been better though, is if the organization was several degrees away from the government. Unlike SHIELD, which I believe operates with minimal government interference, a nationalistic organization like SPEAR does not seem like a good idea, especially when you consider rocky relations China has with its neighboring countries. If anything, it would have been more appropriate if SPEAR was a conglomeration of various nations in the East, independent from their individual governments.

It was nice to see them dig for underused, existing characters though (typical Hickman style). Usually you see the likes of Radioactive Man and Collective Man on teams representing China, as they constitute the ultra-nationalistic image. Although interestingly, almost all of the characters come from Iron Man books in origin, including Marvel's version of Sun Wukong. The Ascendants are essentially a less stereotypical version of DC's Great Ten, but let's see if they can actually stick around or if they'll fade into obscurity like their counterparts. If I were to be honest, I don't see them playing a very significant role in the future - if for no other reason than the fact that as far as reality is concerned, they're not going to push sales (unless Marvel marketed them to the Chinese audience - which I hope they don't, because the Chinese censors will have a field day).

As for Shang-Chi joining the team, I am heavily against that idea. Working with the Avengers is one thing, but since leaving MI6, he's not the type to trust government organizations. Even with SHIELD, he's only occasionally dropped in to help but refused to stick around. And aside from his nationality, Shang is also not particularly patriotic by any fashion, nor does he primarily operate within the Eastern hemisphere.

BANNED

I'm waiting to get this series for trade but I'm curious if a fan of the Falcon would find this issue worth picking up? Is his presence/involvement in this issue drawing enough to make a Falcon fan satisfied with the sticker price?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I'm waiting to get this series for trade but I'm curious if a fan of the Falcon would find this issue worth picking up? Is his presence/involvement in this issue drawing enough to make a Falcon fan satisfied with the sticker price?
    Not really, unfortunately. Falcon doesn't seem to do much here, although he "talks" a lot, if that counts. The book ends right about when the action would begin. It seems that while these books attempt to give the spotlight to their cover characters, they end up focusing instead on establishing the global environment of the current Marvel Universe. Which I suppose is in line with the title...