Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    SHIELD, HAMMER, SPEAR I am detecting a theme.

I like the idea of teams in other part of the world I just hope they get used on a regular basis. I fear they will be in the dust bin like Alpha flight and M-13. I don't need to have a monthly book but maybe mention them in events and show up now and them.

Wonder why no Radioactive man last I recall he was on his way to China.
    At the start of the heroic age when Steve became top cop, I had hoped that Steve would be in charge of SHIELD, Stark would be in charge of ARMOR, and Thor (even though it doesn't entirely make sense) would be in charge of HAMMER.

Maybe Stick Black Knight on SWORD to round things out.

But all that would probably be taking the play on names a bit too strongly.

As far as this team getting play... I suspect they'll have about as much a shot of sticking around as the People's Defense Force we saw in Slott's Mighty Avengers. Even Alpha Flight struggles to remain relavent, and their first run went over 100 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Don't forget SWORD.
    And ARMOR.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I wonder why Spencer doesn't use the Protectors of the Gates of Hell, that Iron Fists team was in Fear itself? And that idea of the 3 Avengers heading Shield, Armor and Hammer did sound good.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I wonder why Spencer doesn't use the Protectors of the Gates of Hell, that Iron Fists team was in Fear itself? And that idea of the 3 Avengers heading Shield, Armor and Hammer did sound good.
    The Immortal Weapons? I don't even know what the status on them is anymore. Fat Cobra seems to be the only one still popping up from time to time. The rest of the team kind of vanished after the Defenders...

Regardless, they are more for dealing with mystical threats, and their first and foremost loyalty is to the heavenly cities that they hail from (the same rings true with Iron Fist).

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Don't forget SWORD.

Regarding this issue itself, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't really get a continuation of Avengers World 3, nor did we get much development for Falcon aside from his internal monologue.

However, I do like the idea of SPEAR. What would have been better though, is if the organization was several degrees away from the government. Unlike SHIELD, which I believe operates with minimal government interference, a nationalistic organization like SPEAR does not seem like a good idea, especially when you consider rocky relations China has with its neighboring countries. If anything, it would have been more appropriate if SPEAR was a conglomeration of various nations in the East, independent from their individual governments.

It was nice to see them dig for underused, existing characters though (typical Hickman style). Usually you see the likes of Radioactive Man and Collective Man on teams representing China, as they constitute the ultra-nationalistic image. Although interestingly, almost all of the characters come from Iron Man books in origin, including Marvel's version of Sun Wukong. The Ascendants are essentially a less stereotypical version of DC's Great Ten, but let's see if they can actually stick around or if they'll fade into obscurity like their counterparts. If I were to be honest, I don't see them playing a very significant role in the future - if for no other reason than the fact that as far as reality is concerned, they're not going to push sales (unless Marvel marketed them to the Chinese audience - which I hope they don't, because the Chinese censors will have a field day).

As for Shang-Chi joining the team, I am heavily against that idea. Working with the Avengers is one thing, but since leaving MI6, he's not the type to trust government organizations. Even with SHIELD, he's only occasionally dropped in to help but refused to stick around. And aside from his nationality, Shang is also not particularly patriotic by any fashion, nor does he primarily operate within the Eastern hemisphere.
    Yes how could I omit SWORD.

You have WAND too but that is also pretty new.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    At the start of the heroic age when Steve became top cop, I had hoped that Steve would be in charge of SHIELD, Stark would be in charge of ARMOR, and Thor (even though it doesn't entirely make sense) would be in charge of HAMMER.

But all that would probably be taking the play on names a bit too strongly.

As far as this team getting play... I suspect they'll have about as much a shot of sticking around as the People's Defense Force we saw in Slott's Mighty Avengers. Even Alpha Flight struggles to remain relavent, and their first run went over 100 issues.
    yeah I forgot, what was it GRAMPA? Something like that. Although that seemed to be a little Slott tongue in cheek I never really expected that to get used except maybe by Slott some day.

I don't have high hopes but I am always looking for Marvel to look beyond NY. Although since they brought the Inhumans to the Hudson I guess they are looking more inward.

It is nice to see some of the SHIELD and Secret Warriors threads getting sewn together.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It is nice to see some of the SHIELD and Secret Warriors threads getting sewn together.
    Yep.

The SPEAR is nothing new people, as it is the SHIELD. And please mr Hickman... finish that Shield miniseries...

Edit:

And of course... I wonder who this guy "Devastator" could really be... his face seems somewhat familiar...
    Last edited by Haquim; 06-04-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmidt View Post

The SPEAR stuff has been referenced before in the long-delayed SHIELD comic, Tien Long, so if you're more interested in China's premier defense agency you should check out that book too.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    I loved this issue. The reveal of SPEAR and Ascendants was just fantastic. I loved that line the "The Shield in the west, The Spear in the east." I have to agree with you, I feel like this series doesn't get much attention and its a shame, I like this much more than the main Avengers title because how it's more character focused. The art is fantastic and I liked how Sam was the main focus in this issue and I also have to agree. I like how he ponders about his significance in the Avengers, kind of thinking what most people think about him. "He can fly and talk to birds." Now we're seeing he's more than that and he's in the front lines to protect Shanghai from being attacked by Gorgon and the dragon. Brilliant issue, definitely looking forward to the next one.
    Yeah I liked that line as well. Not only is it very poetic but it captures the idea of Chinese centrality in East Asia which was the case for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    SHIELD, HAMMER, SPEAR I am detecting a theme.

Wonder why no Radioactive man last I recall he was on his way to China.
    I think as was mentioned previously, Radioactive Man is rooted in hyper Chinese nationalism. Moreover he's rooted in that Cold War, communist, Cultural Revolution era of Chinese history which China and many Chinese have mixed, complicated, and negative feelings about. Thus I could see why the Chinese government wouldn't want him on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    China has went through several teams China Force, the Eight Immortals, the People's Defense Force, the Dynasty which Weather Witch and Saber were members and now the Ascendant.
    That's why I like the name of the ascendants. As compared to previous teams, there isn't anything overtly Chinese or Chinese communist about it. I can see the team wanting to present itself as being global in nature (at least on the surface anyway).

[QUOTE=Geno;161160]Don't forget SWORD.

Regarding this issue itself, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't really get a continuation of Avengers World 3, nor did we get much development for Falcon aside from his internal monologue.

However, I do like the idea of SPEAR. What would have been better though, is if the organization was several degrees away from the government. Unlike SHIELD, which I believe operates with minimal government interference, a nationalistic organization like SPEAR does not seem like a good idea, especially when you consider rocky relations China has with its neighboring countries. If anything, it would have been more appropriate if SPEAR was a conglomeration of various nations in the East, independent from their individual governments.

It was nice to see them dig for underused, existing characters though (typical Hickman style). Usually you see the likes of Radioactive Man and Collective Man on teams representing China, as they constitute the ultra-nationalistic image. Although interestingly, almost all of the characters come from Iron Man books in origin, including Marvel's version of Sun Wukong. The Ascendants are essentially a less stereotypical version of DC's Great Ten, but let's see if they can actually stick around or if they'll fade into obscurity like their counterparts. If I were to be honest, I don't see them playing a very significant role in the future - if for no other reason than the fact that as far as reality is concerned, they're not going to push sales (unless Marvel marketed them to the Chinese audience - which I hope they don't, because the Chinese censors will have a field day).

As for Shang-Chi joining the team, I am heavily against that idea. Working with the Avengers is one thing, but since leaving MI6, he's not the type to trust government organizations. Even with SHIELD, he's only occasionally dropped in to help but refused to stick around. And aside from his nationality, Shang is also not particularly patriotic by any fashion, nor does he primarily operate within the Eastern hemisphere.[/QUOTE)

As for SPEAR being a conglomeration of nations in East Asia, that would NEVER happen. China, Japan, Korea, and the other nations here each have their own agendas and are ultimately looking out for themselves. Every other week here these nations are fight g over territorial rights, business claims, or past aggressions. Hence in story wise I could see SPear coming into conflict with Japanese heroes like Sunfire or Big Hero Six.

As for Shang not joining the team, you make valid points that he snt really patriotic or nationalist. Still I think SPEAR would try to convince him mainly because of his deep roots in China. Maybe Shang could see them as being useful in taking out the last remnants of his father's empire or in helping him get his father's followers in the CCP. Plus there could be cool clashes between Shang and Sun Wukong.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Ha, very clever.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Spectacular Member

I read issue 6 because I was curious about Hyperion and it was all right, but this issue has certainly delivered. That being said, I'm completely oblivious to what this is all about, but the issues seem to do fine for cherry picking which ones you want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeron View Post
    I read issue 6 because I was curious about Hyperion and it was all right, but this issue has certainly delivered. That being said, I'm completely oblivious to what this is all about, but the issues seem to do fine for cherry picking which ones you want to read.
    Well the series is showing that a series of trouble points has opened up on the same day and the current main team gets split up in squads to address it. The issues jump between spots and POV characters that flesh them out a bit more

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As for SPEAR being a conglomeration of nations in East Asia, that would NEVER happen. China, Japan, Korea, and the other nations here each have their own agendas and are ultimately looking out for themselves. Every other week here these nations are fight g over territorial rights, business claims, or past aggressions. Hence in story wise I could see SPear coming into conflict with Japanese heroes like Sunfire or Big Hero Six.
    Sorry, I didn't mean an officially sanctioned conglomeration, but something more under the radar - a task-force dedicated to defending the Eastern hemisphere from dire threats like extraterrestrial invasions, with no political ties. After all, there really aren't that many super heroes active in that region of the world (as comic logic dictates), so it would make more sense for them to pool their resources together. It's also inevitable that SPEAR will need to help neighboring nations regardless, and without any jurisdiction from said nations, they would be infringing on their sovereignty.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Well the series is showing that a series of trouble points has opened up on the same day and the current main team gets split up in squads to address it. The issues jump between spots and POV characters that flesh them out a bit more
    Oke, so it probably has tie-ins for multiple on-goings. If so, I might pick it up after all, I'll definitely give the next one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

I think as was mentioned previously, Radioactive Man is rooted in hyper Chinese nationalism. Moreover he's rooted in that Cold War, communist, Cultural Revolution era of Chinese history which China and many Chinese have mixed, complicated, and negative feelings about. Thus I could see why the Chinese government wouldn't want him on the team.

That's why I like the name of the ascendants. As compared to previous teams, there isn't anything overtly Chinese or Chinese communist about it. I can see the team wanting to present itself as being global in nature (at least on the surface anyway).
    Ha, very clever.
    I am looking at as more of a point of the readership. There are few well know Supers from China and Radioactive man is one of them. That is why I could see them using him.

The social or political ramifications of the real world don't factor into it at all. This is a fictional China and they will act however a writer picks. I am all for new characters though you never know when one might click.

All this SPEAR, SHIELD, etc talk is reminding me of the Outsider Clans from Green Arrow.

Extraordinary Member

I really liked the Acendants here but, I wouldn't have minded seeing old faves like Radioactive Man, Jade Dragon and Collective Man on the team.

At least SOMEBODY finally gave Monkey King something to do.