Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default when was the last time a marvel team book had a roster where every character on the roster had a solo series?

all new all different avengers brings this up quite a bit when people think about it just because....there's no really unique cast members on the book and everyone of them will have their own solo titles(which i can only imagine makes things extra difficult and frustrating for Mark Waid)

but how often has this happened for marvel and when was the last time a team book had a stacked roster of solo titles to its characters?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Interesting, right? I'm willing to say this is the first, if the Heroic Age included Cage and Storm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Interesting, right? I'm willing to say this is the first, if the Heroic Age included Cage and Storm.
    yeah i guess it's interesting but there's no real exclusive characters to make you read the book if you were a big fan of them i mean if you were a miles morales or ms.marvel fan you could just read their solo book without having to touch the all new all different avengers same goes for vision female thor Cap.Falcon Nova And Iron-Man

to some it might even feel like a corporate ordered team with no real surprises

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    if you were a big fan of them i mean if you were a miles morales or ms.marvel fan you could just read their solo book without having to touch the all new all different avengers same goes for vision female thor Cap.Falcon Nova And Iron-Man
    Or you could buy both books?

Like people have for years when a solo star was also in a team book. Like how Spider-Man has often had two titles all for himself. I don't understand this either/or dichotomy you are insistent on pushing.

BANNED

I'm guessing someone's favorite didn't make the team.

Extraordinary Member

The first few issues of the original Defenders? Sort of? Then again, let's see if there are not any other characters on the roster who don't get any promotion.

As for the discussion of the lack of exclusive characters, I do think there is some merit to it. How much? I am not sure, but I imagine some number of people would be picking up ANADA if it had some exclusive character(s) that have no intention of picking it up now. That said, I don't think the Marvel is losing any sales by having this cast also all have solos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The first few issues of the original Defenders? Sort of? Then again, let's see if there are not any other characters on the roster who don't get any promotion.

As for the discussion of the lack of exclusive characters, I do think there is some merit to it. How much? I am not sure, but I imagine some number of people would be picking up ANADA if it had some exclusive character(s) that have no intention of picking it up now. That said, I don't think the Marvel is losing any sales by having this cast also all have solos.
    i just think team books that have a few characters not appearing anywhere else can be interesting because that's where all their development will be

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i just think team books that have a few characters not appearing anywhere else can be interesting because that's where all their development will be
    I completely agree, somewhere in thinking about how it might affect which readers bought the book I forgot to mention that aspect. While I think some characters such as Batman and Spider-Man are big enough to read well in multiple titles I do think when a book is the sole place to read about a character than that story seems to mean more and the character is better served.

BANNED

I completely agree, somewhere in thinking about how it might affect which readers bought the book I forgot to mention that aspect. While I think some characters such as Batman and Spider-Man are big enough to read well in multiple titles I do think when a book is the sole place to read about a character than that story seems to mean more and the character is better served.
    exactly! and i fear that because every character in the book has a solo title that the stories won't matter as much development wise and that everything regarding the characters will just be dealt with in their own solo books exclusively

making the book seem kinda pointless if there's no big draw or hook to lure you in knowing that more likely than not Waid Will have to play it safe with these characters

Would Guardians of the Galaxy count? I mean Star-lord, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Drax, Gamora, Iron Man, Captain Marvel and Venom all have or will eventually soon have an ongoing series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Would Guardians of the Galaxy count? I mean Star-lord, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Drax, Gamora, Iron Man, Captain Marvel and Venom all have or will eventually soon have an ongoing series.
    POST SW Gamora Iron Man Star-Lord(Peter Quill)And Captain Marvel Aren't on the team

Boisterously Confused

I think the honest answer is "never". Even the original Avengers were printing as features in other titles when Avengers 1.1 came out (Ant-Man in Tales to Astonish, Thor in Journey Into Mystery, and Iron Man Tales of Suspense), and I think Hulk was without a title at the time.

The first few issues of the original Defenders? Sort of?
    I think Dr. Strange's title was already cancelled, which is why Defenders 1.1 wrapped up a story that had been running in his comic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I think the honest answer is "never". Even the original Avengers were printing as features in other titles when Avengers 1.1 came out (Ant-Man in Tales to Astonish, Thor in Journey Into Mystery, and Iron Man Tales of Suspense), and I think Hulk was without a title at the time.

I think Dr. Strange's title was already cancelled, which is why Defenders 1.1 wrapped up a story that had been running in his comic.
    The 'sort of' was because I think there was a book at the time that was effectively Dr. Strange's solo but cannot remember what the name was, and while you are not counting books not titled after the character, I think in the spirit of this topic that if a book was mostly if not completely telling solo stories about a hero then that would count because that would probably be where most development would occur for that character, plus it seemed more common back then for a character to take over the focus of an ongoing book rather than get a solo.

BANNED

this team just reeks of corporate ordered this and just slapped together a team with all the characters they wanna promote

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Or it's just as it sounds. The point of the Avengers, originally, was to have a JLA equivalent, a superhero team comprised of the big characters. Strange that it has actually taken this long, when you think about it.

I also don't see what's weird about wanting to promote characters and being thorough about it.