Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I constantly see the "post its" comments, and I just can't help but think, "why isn't everyone doing what I'm doing?"
    I use strips of cardboard from various boxes I have lying around. They're about the perfect height to fit between the shelf and the bottom of the pages. They're WAY cheaper and easier to deal with then cutting up and wasting post-it notes. And you can make it the entire length of the book, and then I write on the cardboard in magic marker what the book is, so when I inevitably rearrange my bookshelves, I know which cardboard piece goes with which omnibus.
    This is also my preferred method of combating "shelf sag" for my Omnibus Editions / Oversized Editions. As for the cardboard strips not being acid free, I'm going to "upgrade" my system by wrapping each strip with an acid free comic board.

Also, I've become "that guy" who leaves his Omnibus Editions in shrink wrap until I'm ready to crack it open and start to read it, unless it's a book that I've never seen before or one that I've been dying to see oversized.

What about rotating the books? So after so many months, turn them upside down on the shelf?

I took a look at my bigger omnibus' yesterday and did notice a bit of sagging. Nothing major, but thought maybe flipping them upside down for a few months might help?

Or would this just loosen the binding even more?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    What about rotating the books? So after so many months, turn them upside down on the shelf?

I took a look at my bigger omnibus' yesterday and did notice a bit of sagging. Nothing major, but thought maybe flipping them upside down for a few months might help?

Or would this just loosen the binding even more?
    I don't think that would help. If you have the space, storing the bigger books horizontally would stop the sagging.

I store my omni's horizontally but am running out of room. A few pictures would be great to see what these cut outs look like if those of you who have setup the cardboard/acid free board book supports. Seeing what they visually look like will help when I set it up.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    Detrimental shearing motion- pulling a book from a tight shelf (or from storing several books flat) is bad. Any motion which the books were not designed to handle should be avoided.
    Bumping a long-forgotten thread

Is stacking several omnis horizontally, on top of each other, a bad idea? Having 30+ omnis I can't imagine taking the time to cut out pieces of cardboard / backing board to safely store them vertically.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Bumping a long-forgotten thread

Is stacking several omnis horizontally, on top of each other, a bad idea? Having 30+ omnis I can't imagine taking the time to cut out pieces of cardboard / backing board to safely store them vertically.
    My wife, who is a librarian, told me to stack my larger omni's horizontally, probably not more than 5 or so should be stacked like that. If I stacked something like the 4th world or the recent He-Man omni vertically, it could over time, harm the spine. It's already happening to my 52 omnibus. I need to put Final Crisis and the Exmachina omnis horizontally, and probably Green Lantern. Check out the shelf pic for example.

2 shelf.jpg