Default Wonder Woman and the Legion of Super-heroes

Back in 1943 Wonder Woman's creator wrote Wonder Woman #7 in which Diana sees the future year 3000, an utopia where women are the leaders of the world and follow the ideals of the Golden Age amazons of loving submission. In Wonder Woman Earth One Vol 3 Grant Morrison revamped this concept while also adapting a more modern queer aesthetic.

Despite this Diana and the immortal amazons have never had a role in the future of the Legion of Superheroes which is set in the exact same century. I've been told that Phil Jiminez had some ideas that he never divulged. Thematically there are a lot of things that Diana and the Legion have in common.

What do you envision for the amazons and Diana in the world of the Legion of Superheroes?

Extraordinary Member

Well it's LOSH so I envision something that makes Donna's continuity look simple and straightforward by comparison.

In the year 3000 probably mostly dead where some God or Demon or New God killed most of them to spite Diane. The few who survive try to pass on their culture in other places.

Planet Themyscira.

I like the idea of exploring Diana's impact into the far reaching future but I'm not sure if you want to set it in the Legion's future exactly especially since the Legion is DC's least stable franchise and is ultimately Superman's thing to boot. Probably best to have it be Diana's own thing while still allowing the occasional crossover with other heroes.

Retired

I think most would say that a 1943 story happened on Earth-Two. Although, I don't equate original era Wonder Woman with Earth-Two Wonder Woman, they are two different things. There supposedly was no Legion of Super-Heroes on Earth-Two. But maybe there was an equivalent. You could probably create a future team based on all the 1940s stories that were set in the future.

I am a long-time fan of the Legion, and I never understood why her lineage/legacy/story never continued in the future(s) depicted in any of the LSH books. Superman and Batman (duh) have both had future versions/iterations/legacy characters take part in the Legion, and as usual, Diana has not (despite DC's continued claims that she is one of the most important members of the DC stable of heroes).

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I am a long-time fan of the Legion, and I never understood why her lineage/legacy/story never continued in the future(s) depicted in any of the LSH books. Superman and Batman (duh) have both had future versions/iterations/legacy characters take part in the Legion, and as usual, Diana has not (despite DC's continued claims that she is one of the most important members of the DC stable of heroes).
    What Batman character is in the Legion?

Nobody. That was a specific plot point in Bendis's run.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Although, Batman has Batman Beyond, The Dark Knight Returns and other stories which portrays a possible future for him.

Superman has LoSH.

Wonder Woman has ?????

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Although, Batman has Batman Beyond, The Dark Knight Returns and other stories which portrays a possible future for him.

Superman has LoSH.

Wonder Woman has ?????
    Wonder Woman had Dead Earth....Future State....hm..yeah, we need some work done here.
    I always wondered why the Amazons didn't have some impact in the Legion's time. I thought it was a glaring omission on DC's part and quite telling about how they saw her character and story.

Retired

Well, there was the One Million Wonder Woman. Of course, that was in the 853rd century and the Justice Legion. But I think that was Grant Morrison's way of doing his own Legion without stepping on any toes--since it was so far in the future it couldn't hurt any of the current continuity in other books.

Brane Taylor is the Batman of the 31st century--but he's not due to appear on the scene until 3051--see "The Lost Legion of Space," BATMAN 67 (October 1951) and others.

There are multiple stories of Superman in the future. "There'll Always Be a Superman," ACTION COMICS 62 (July 1943), shows that the Man of Tomorrow is still in fighting form in the year 2143.

Wonder Woman and the Amazons are heavily based on the male/female dynamic in current earth terms. Now, there has always (moreso recently) been a queer aspect to the Paradise Island crowd. With the discovery of gender fluidity, more details to the Amazonian way can be added and examined. But that's all Earth based ideas and homo sapiens. The Legion is interplanetary with numerous species and worlds, not all of whom share the Earth classifications. How would the Amazonian Themysciran way work when faced with different gender setups? And those where a dominant gender may actually be the way?

Truthfully, I don't see a real role for the Amazons in a world where gender equality exists, even with minor exceptions, and male privilege no longer exists. I can see some Amazon settlements where their old ways are still practiced, but as long as the mission Diana first undertook into "Man's world" has succeeded, for the most part the inhabitants of Paradise Island would have rejoined the world at large. My opinion, anyway.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

I have always thought there should be a wonder in LOSH, but it is a property born out of Superboy comics at a time when the big 3s universes were fairly separate, and WW was really only big 3 in name. Still, ample opportunity has existed to have a wonder-inspired character, and the closest DC has come has been having Dr. Psycho be a foil for Imra and JLA 3000. But I'd love for DC to do future legacy for Diana a bit harder.