Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Hola, Wonder Fans! Introduce yourselves!

We have a thread about forum changes, Rules & Regulations, but let's see one for what makes the forum experience--the members! Please take a moment and introduce yourselves. Share about yourself and your love for Wonder Woman!

My name is Andrew. I live in Savannah, GA, and I work in our local Tourism industry. I'm gay, a proud uncle of a beautiful niece and two adorable nephews, and the papa of the cutest cat!

My first experience with Wonder Woman happened in a used bookstore in a sleepy GA college town owned by my Mom's best friend. At age 3, I saw a comic book cover with a colorful, powerful, black-haired beauty and I was hooked for life! The Lynda Carter series debuted around this time and intensified my love for Wonder Woman! Over the next 3 years, I spent Friday nights watching Wonder Woman (the notable exception was opening night of Star Wars), Saturday mornings watching Superfriends (and The Shazam/Isis Hour), and many hours in between reading multitudes of comic books.

The cancellation of the show broke my heart, and John Schneider was a comely, but not quite as satisfying, replacement! I saw Wonder Woman trade her Eagle bustier for the Double W. Shortly thereafter, I traded Diana for the X-Men. As I neared adolescence, I identified with Claremont's outcasts, since I often felt that way myself. Shy, awkward, liked reading instead of sports or fishing, four-eyed, and eventually horrified that the kids in the playground probably meant me when they uttered the word "Faggot".

Yeah, the X-Men were my speed then, since I FELT like a mutant...and at least I wasn't called a "sissy" for liking them!

Eventually came the Crisis, though, with an intelligent reimagining of Diana by the wondrous George Perez. The new story brought a mature depth, rich mythology, and gorgeous art! Diana showed strength, innocence, wisdom, and power! After high school, I reclaimed Wonder Woman as a queer icon, even as I claimed my own sexual identity. Since then, I've stuck by Wonder Woman, loving or questioning many different interpretations.

Admittedly, not the biggest fan of Azzarello, but that's more about what he did to her mythos. Hey, still love Wonder Woman herself, though! I'm glad that others here do, too! I

I can't wait to hear from everyone else!
    Last edited by Tangent Man; 04-30-2014 at 10:31 PM.