Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    We have a thread about forum changes, Rules & Regulations, but let's see one for what makes the forum experience--the members! Please take a moment and introduce yourselves. Share about yourself and your love for Wonder Woman!

My name is Andrew. I live in Savannah, GA, and I work in our local Tourism industry. I'm gay, a proud uncle of a beautiful niece and two adorable nephews, and the papa of the cutest cat!

My first experience with Wonder Woman happened in a used bookstore in a sleepy GA college town owned by my Mom's best friend. At age 3, I saw a comic book cover with a colorful, powerful, black-haired beauty and I was hooked for life! The Lynda Carter series debuted around this time and intensified my love for Wonder Woman! Over the next 3 years, I spent Friday nights watching Wonder Woman (the notable exception was opening night of Star Wars), Saturday mornings watching Superfriends (and The Shazam/Isis Hour), and many hours in between reading multitudes of comic books.

The cancellation of the show broke my heart, and John Schneider was a comely, but not quite as satisfying, replacement! I saw Wonder Woman trade her Eagle bustier for the Double W. Shortly thereafter, I traded Diana for the X-Men. As I neared adolescence, I identified with Claremont's outcasts, since I often felt that way myself. Shy, awkward, liked reading instead of sports or fishing, four-eyed, and eventually horrified that the kids in the playground probably meant me when they uttered the word "Faggot".

Yeah, the X-Men were my speed then, since I FELT like a mutant...and at least I wasn't called a "sissy" for liking them!

Eventually came the Crisis, though, with an intelligent reimagining of Diana by the wondrous George Perez. The new story brought a mature depth, rich mythology, and gorgeous art! Diana showed strength, innocence, wisdom, and power! After high school, I reclaimed Wonder Woman as a queer icon, even as I claimed my own sexual identity. Since then, I've stuck by Wonder Woman, loving or questioning many different interpretations.

Admittedly, not the biggest fan of Azzarello, but that's more about what he did to her mythos. Hey, still love Wonder Woman herself, though! I'm glad that others here do, too! I

I can't wait to hear from everyone else!
    Interesting, we have been leading the same life! Gay, Lynda Carter, switched to Xmen, rediscovered WW after COIE ... Did you used to envy your big sisters WW underoos? I remember them fighting over have the same WW underoos (I had Spider-Man). My eldest sister insisting that my middle sister had to be Wonder Girl ... Who had just made her appearance as Drusila on the show played by Debrah Winger!

Hey Wonder Woman fans it the former Terrifan2 back on the boards. I have been a Wonder Woman fan for quite a while. I like the different incarnations that the comics and do. I also catch the old Wonder Woman series in syndication once a while. Still on the fence about Gal Gadot being Wonder Woman but as the movie gets closer I am sure we will see more pictures come out I'll leave my final judgment until the movie is released. I am glad to be back as for the new name it is representative for the current Supergirl storyline going on right now.
    former Terrifan2

I have been a Wonder Woman fan for a while. My name is Angela, and I'm working on being a animator. I hope to one day do a Wonder Woman Series

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I have been a Wonder Woman fan for a while. My name is Angela, and I'm working on being a animator. I hope to one day do a Wonder Woman Series
    That's a very nice goal; I hope you become an animator and get a chance to do a Wonder Woman series one day.

All-New Member

Hi my name is Ray Gootz and i'm a stand-up comic, web show producer and writer for salon.com.

For the past year I have been reading every issue of Wonder Woman and reviewing each issue on my facebook page. I've also kept a running tally on how many times a woman has been tied up in her book (I've also put issues of JLA she is in as part of that count) right now as of vol.2 issue 98 we are at 1077.

I was a Wonder Woman fan for years and it's been fascinating reading every issue of Wonder Woman. The early issues have a ton in common with fetish videos. Then the book got super bland and terrible for years and years. It got better when they did the Diana Prince flower shop owner reboot got bad again when they went back to the costume and stayed a lousy book for the rest of vol.1.

Vol.2 when George Perez took over is when the book got really good. As a Kid I started collecting when John Byrne took over in issue 101 but having done a full read through the book is the best it's ever been under William Loebs and Mike Deadado. The story line of the mob wars of Boston is a lot of fun and Wonder Woman has been given so many great moments. I really think she is a great character but so many writers have done a terrible job writing her. Loebs really got her.

Anyway if you want to follow my reviews friend me on facebook. A lot of comics are following them and when Howard Porter came to a show I was on I was introduced as "the guy who reviews Wonder Woman on facebook." Ha!

All-New Member

I'm Dangerman-1973 (Dangerman before the forums reset) and I'm a big fan of WW.

I'm a fan of the Lynda Carter series and I like comics containing the spin transformation.

I am the mighty Thor! I became interested in women at an early age, so Wonder Woman being the prominent female super-hero in media naturally appealed to me. I had the Wonder Woman audio book from the early 80s with the audio tape. She fought the Debbie Doumain Cheetah. The first Wondy issue I had was one of those cover-less deals at the supermarket, it was the issue that had the Huntress being strapped to a gurney in the back-up feature. Picked up a comic off the rack years later, was surprised that it had such a low issue number. Even more surprised of the dark nature of the story. Diana was identifying some murdered Amazons. This was not the Amazon I knew from Superfriends or the 70s show. Didn't like how she wasn't an original member of the league, hat Donna Troy Wonder Girl predated her, and that the Steve-Diana relationship was gone and that he was made significantly older. I like fun adventure stories, as opposed to philosophical, heavy-handed moral tales. The Martson Wonder Woman stories are such a joy to read, never too heavy handed. Wonder Woman is a hero with connections to Greek myth, but she shouldn't be drowned in the mythos. I find Azzarello's storytelling solid but WW should be more prominent in her solo book. Haven't read Superman/Wonder Woman yet, but it sounds good. I would love to see a reinventing of old Wonder Woman foes.

I like Paradise Island, Steve Trevor as an important companion, Etta Candy as a bff, Diana Prince, working in the military and blonde Hippolyta. Favorite villain is Cheetah probably followed by the Doctors Psycho, Cyber and Poison. Would love to see Eviless and Queen Clea revived. Circe was way overused and became a clutch for many writers. Was glad that Wonder Woman was able to start over with the New 52 and that Steve is young again and is an important player in the DC Universe, that Hippolyta is blonde and that Themyscira is Paradise Island once again. HATED how John Byrne made Diana into a legacy hero, demoting her status of importance imo. So glad that the New 52 made that all go away!

Favorite WW artists are Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Mike Deodato Jr, Terry Dodson, Aaron Lopresti, Nicola Scott, and Cliff Chiang.

Favorite WW writers are William Moulton Martson, Gerry Conway, Dan Mishkin, William Messner-Loebs and Brian Azzarello.

IMO, certain elements from Rucka and Simone's run were really good too.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 07-14-2014 at 05:10 PM.

ronz here from the far east! happy to be part of this group.

always a child at heart and a fierce lover of beauty, i've been a wondy fan since the '70s. 'practically grew up with the series and the superfriends show. 'was a lurker in the warzone that was the old dc ww forum since '06 and here at cbr since '08 or '09 (when gail simone transplanted herself here) until i decided to become a(n inactive) member a few years back. 'forgot my password and just re-joined recently.

My name is Candice, I am a long time Wonder Woman fan. I grew up reading her comics throughout tht the 70's into the early 80's. After her marriage I wondered off, life had me moving to Sao Paulo and forsaken comics for Graphic Novels and my first love Star Trek. Read a few Perez Titles, but upon introduction of radical costume changes, and the increasing retconning of her character I pretty much given up on any childhood relations to the Heroine I grew up on. If anything I done a few novels and based an Original Character off of her. Do quite a bit of artwork in 3D Based on her as well as other DC Super Heroine.

I started reading Wonder Woman recently. For at least a year, I did not like Wonder Woman because I tried an issue (issue #2 in the New 52). I didn't like it because I had NO idea what the heck was going on. The comic shop I go to didn't have #1, and I don't like to get graphic novels just to try out a series because it cost too much. Then, one day, I tried the comic because I really loved the cover of the issue. Since then, I have been getting the series and I am also trying to get older material.

Welcome to all the new folks!

If all else fails, Usagi, you can always get digital comics to fill in the blanks. I'm a hardcopy person myself, but sometimes I go to digital if I can't find a book at a reasonable price
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Welcome to all the new folks!

If all else fails, Usagi, you can always get digital comics to fill in the blanks. I'm a hardcopy person myself, but sometimes I go to digital if I can't find a book at a reasonable price
    Thanks! I have gotten only a few of the older comics, but they have been the really old Showcase presents Wonder Woman (I'm a big fan of old comics like Superman Family and Supergirl.)

I read the first 6 issue of the New 52 Wonder Woman. Never picked it up again.

Hello, I guess I first noticed WW in the super-friends cartoon but really it was the Linda Carter WW series that hooked me. Well mostly Ms. Carter! I first picked up the Deodato issues back in the day, good stuff! I like her origin, very different from most other superhero origins. There's a lot to like about WW, and I must say she has the best female comic book costume of all. Classic & iconic.
    el_caifan

All-New Member

Hello I'm Sam an idiot from the Uk and often bored and sleepless , I claim to have no encyclopaedic knowledge of comics ( except love and rockets ), but have always been fascinated by the creation of Wonder Woman and the ideology behind it .
    Superhero comics are often a strangely conservative and closed medium and she shines out as something different ( although that power seems to be dwindling sadly).

Plus Linda Carter was ace.