Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Last edited by dianafan1985; 03-03-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    Wow, I didn't even know this thread existed.

Hello, I have been a member of this board for awhile now (on and off). I used to lurk here for years before I created an account. I post here for fun when I am off because I LOVE discussing my favourite character, Wonder Woman. Who doesn't? She is the best superhero ever created.

Where do I call home? I live in the mountains of Canada! It just snowed here last week, so I envy those from Australia and warmer climates. I work the graveyard shift so I am typically up when everybody else is asleep. I chose those hours because I am a night owl. I am obviously in my early 30s given the year in my handle; I love to cook, travel, and watch political programs like AM Joy on MSNBC. I also love animals even though I don't have one at the moment. :P

My favourite runs of the Amazon Princess are of Rucka, Byrne, and Perez in that order. I have nothing against the other runs except for Azzarello

I love to laugh a lot, so don't take me that seriously when you see an lol, or a hahaha beside a remark. I don't even take myself that seriously; life is too short, and I come here to discuss fiction and to occasionally take a vacation from the trials of reality.

My favourite superheroes are:

Wonder Woman (of course)
    Icon
    Vixen
    Supergirl
    Superman
    Storm

I don't know what else to place here so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Welcome Diana fan!! How did you like the Wonder Woman film seems like its a great time to be a fan of Diana!

Amazing Member

First, let me say that I'm a German, so please forgive me if my English is not perfect, and especially if I'm not always using the grammatically or politically correct words.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but now decided to register. I have been a fan of WW for many years, and prefer to read the TPBs in the original language, because the German translations are not good. Also, the individual issues are not translated and reprinted in Germany - only the TPBs. (Whereas Superman and Batman individual issues _are_ reprinted in German. WW gets the short end of the stick, as always.) I've seen the movie twice, also in the original version (because I was afraid of what the translation would do to it). That was much harder for me because I'm not so fluent in English conversation...

Hello! This is the first Intro thread I have ever been on so I just wanted to list myself as a Wonder Woman fan here as well.

I am currently getting into the Wonder Woman books and I'm starting with Rebirth. I will also check out Perez's work.

TrueWWFan

Hi Everyone! I really loved reading all of your posts and introductions! I've been looking for other people to talk to about Wonder Woman for decades, but there seemed to be little interest before the movie came out. The movie has my head spinning! I've seen it 9 times now and will probably see it a 10th time before it leaves theaters. I've been waiting 44 years for my favorite character in the world to be portrayed on the big screen in a way that was serious, not campy, and that really brought out her best sides. I can't believe it's here, and it's REAL!

I started collecting WW comic books when I was 9 years old and have never missed an issue since then in 44 years. And I worked on collecting all of the back issues that I had missed from the Golden and Silver Age as well. My first job at age 16 was working at a comic book store for trade credit. They didn't pay me money. They paid me in comic books. When I graduated high school, my parents offered me a choice. They would buy me a cheap car for $200.00 or the Wonder Woman #1 at the comic book store for $200.00. This was back in 1983 when $200.00 was worth a lot more than it is now. I, of course, chose the comic book. And boy was I right to make that choice! LOL! The car would have lasted a year at best. My comic book is timeless and priceless.

There is so much I have to say about the movie and the comic book series, and I would love to find others who want to talk about both. Is anyone still active in this thread? I really hope so!

Thanks!

Oh, I also love Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and anything else by Joss Whedon), X-Men, and all manner of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books and movies!
    Last edited by TrueWWFan; 08-02-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrueWWFan View Post
    ...When I graduated high school, my parents offered me a choice. They would buy me a cheap car for $200.00 or the Wonder Woman #1 at the comic book store for $200.00. This was back in 1983 when $200.00 was worth a lot more than it is now. I, of course, chose the comic book. And boy was I right to make that choice! LOL! The car would have lasted a year at best. My comic book is timeless and priceless
    I love this story.

Welcome welcome TrueWWFan! This thread isn't the most active, but many of the other threads are. Hope you enjoy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hgzip View Post
    First, let me say that I'm a German, so please forgive me if my English is not perfect, and especially if I'm not always using the grammatically or politically correct words.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but now decided to register. I have been a fan of WW for many years, and prefer to read the TPBs in the original language, because the German translations are not good. Also, the individual issues are not translated and reprinted in Germany - only the TPBs. (Whereas Superman and Batman individual issues _are_ reprinted in German. WW gets the short end of the stick, as always.) I've seen the movie twice, also in the original version (because I was afraid of what the translation would do to it). That was much harder for me because I'm not so fluent in English conversation...
    Hi hgzip. That is a very interesting name. And your English is fine, you type better than many native English speakers (which doesn't speak to well to our education system). Have you seen the movie? If so, what did you think? I'm curious as to how it is perceived in other countries.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Hi hgzip. That is a very interesting name. And your English is fine, you type better than many native English speakers (which doesn't speak to well to our education system). Have you seen the movie? If so, what did you think? I'm curious as to how it is perceived in other countries.
    Well, my user name is kind of abbreviated from my real name...

As for the movie, I'm somewhat torn. As an action/superhero movie it was OK. I won't discuss all the plot holes / logical holes - others have done so already. As a Wonder Woman movie, I am not so happy. This was not the heroine that I know and love. (If that sounds weird - let's say "that I'm a fan of".) Without going into too much detail here, if I compare Diana in the movie to WW in Marston's comics, I am disappointed in the following points:

- Diana is a daughter of Zeus, and she was created as a weapon. She's an object with a purpose. That is a sad origin. Marston's WW was created by Aphrodite and Athena, and she's a child of love (because Hippolyta desired a daughter so much).

- Diana carries a sword and kills deliberately. Marston's WW did not carry lethal weapons and says "Every life is sacred, by Aphrodite's law."

- Diana steals weapons and armor, and sneaks away like a thief in the night. Marston's WW earned the right to the costume and the lasso by winning the tournament, and she left Paradise Island with the blessings of her mother.

- Diana mostly tags along with Steve Trevor, and all her sidekicks are male. Marston's WW sets the pace from the beginning, and when she gets in difficulties, she mostly relies on the Holliday Girls (and sometimes Steve) to bail her out.

To be fair, most of those points do not fall on the head of the movie team or the script writers, but on the head of DC. They have changed Wonder Woman's origin and her character so much from what she originally was (and especially during the timeframe when the movie was made), that Diana seems to be an evil version of WW, from a parallel universe.

Please note that this is my personal opinion, and I can't speak for the German public in general. I am fully aware that I'm a nerd...

TrueWWFan

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I love this story.

Welcome welcome TrueWWFan! This thread isn't the most active, but many of the other threads are. Hope you enjoy.
    Thank you soooooo much! LOL! My mother loves to tell everyone that anecdote about me. At least now that I'm 53 and a business owner, she has finally stopped asking when I will be outgrowing my comic books! Can you please tell me which thread is the most active Wonder Woman one? Thanks again!

TrueWWFan

Hi Hgzip! Thank you for your insights! I wouldn't know what the others of this message board have been saying about the Wonder Woman movie because I haven't seen the other threads yet. But I'd love to answer you point by point...

1. I HATE that they made Diana the daughter of Zeus, just like you, but that really wasn't the film's fault. It was DC, as you said. It happened in the comic books and in the cartoon way before the movie came out, and I was mad about it then too. Why did they take her goddesses away from her? Why did she have to have a father in the traditional sense? I even wrote a long letter to Patty Jenkins (who is writing the next film, even if she hasn't officially signed on to direct yet), begging her to give Diana back her goddesses in the future, maybe in spirit form at least. As George Perez once said, WW without her mythology is like Thor without Asgard. I sort of get what DC was trying to do when they made that decision - it makes her a legitimate demi-god, but I think it also robs her of some of her feminism, and I think it was a bad move. I also think it was a bad move of the film to have all the gods be dead but Ares. And it begs a huge question... at what point did Zeus impregnate Hippolyta if he died when he created Themyscira? I was trying to write some fan fiction about Wonder Woman's past based on movie cannon, and the question is driving me mad. If Hippolyta already had Diana inside of her when the island was first built, then Diana lived on the island for thousands of years before Steve arrived. Most of that time would have been spent being an adult, not a child (unless she took that long to mature from child to adult, which would be hard to fathom). But she is portrayed as being young and innocent in the film when she leaves the island. As if she had just grown up recently. So which is it? Did Zeus impregnate Hippolyta thousands of years ago and she took forever to mature? Did she mature at a normal rate and she's much older and wiser than she seems? Or is the children's story that Hippolyta read to Diana false, and Zeus is still alive, and he impregnated her not that long ago? I really need to know the answer to this question! Does anyone else on this forum know?

2. I feel that in our modern era, it would be a mistake to make a film based directly on Marston's version of Wonder Woman. It would be like keeping Wolverine in yellow spandex. It wouldn't be palpable to a modern day audience. Do you realize how often Marston had WW in chains saying how much she liked being subservient? How often she was shown to want to give up everything so she could just be Steve's wife? The Golden and Silver Age issues are filled with this kind of stuff. Also, whether she's using her fists or a sword, it's violence no matter what. She's always been a dichotomy of philosophies. Yes, she believes in peace over all and that is her highest mission, but she's not going to get there by being Gandhi. She's a warrior, trained by the Amazons, and her fighting skills are unsurpassed. What good is having god-like speed and strength if she doesn't use it to protect those who can't protect themselves? The sword has always been a symbol of honor and protection as well as a killing device. Either way, she's fighting bad guys and protecting the weak,and she's doing this the only way she knows how. I think the sword is incredibly cool, and I don't mind her using it at all. She still believes that every life is sacred, and she alluded to that at one point in the film too. However, she will kill if necessary. This has been portrayed in many of her comic series (depending on the writer), and again is not the film's fault. It is a tough area, though, that could be debated both ways.

3. Okay, I gave this one a lot of thought, and I decided that if Diana has been on this island for thousands of years (and even if she hasn't) the tournament wouldn't make any sense because she would be immediately recognized, no matter how well she disguised herself. All the Amazons know each other quiet well, I would imagine, and if she's the only one in a mask of some kind, and she's mysteriously missing from the spectators, they would know. Hippolyta isn't an idiot. Just the shape of her legs, or a stray curl of her hair would give her away. I call this another "yellow spandex" moment that wouldn't jive with a modern audience. Yellow spandex is when they have to break with comic book cannon in order to translate to the big screen. Like her outfit... I couldn't be more relieved to see her out of her patriotic American bathing suit! I've always loved my Wonder Woman, but I certainly haven't always loved her costume. She looks WAAAAAY better now! I'm also so thrilled to see her living somewhere else in the world besides America! Because so many super heroes were created by American writers, our country is over-saturated with them. Her movie wouldn't have had nearly the impact if it had been told from an American point of view. I'm so grateful America wasn't involved in the film at all! We barely experienced either of the wars compared to what other countries had to endure!

4. An interesting point. I think all the side kicks had to be male in order to avoid alienating the male audience, since most of the comic book movie audience has always been male (up until WW, YAY!), so they had to balance things out a bit. But on a positive note, you'll notice she never listened to any of Steve's directions, and she never needed support or rescuing from anyone else. She stood alone and did the rescuing herself. Steve didn't save her from Ares. He didn't save her from the bad guys in the alley. He never saved her from anything except a bit of clothing embarrassment. And his friends didn't help her with anything either. Steve's friends helped Steve. They didn't help HER, and I think that's an important distinction.

Thank you so much for your insights! This is just the kind of debating I wanted to do! And of course, these are just my personal opinions. :-)

Astonishing Member

Hi HGZIP and TrueWWFan - I enjoy reading your thoughts on the WW movie, and there is a thread dedicated to discussing the movie. So, hope you don't mind, I'm going to copy your comments and reply there.

Page 1 of the movie thread:
    http://community.comicbookresources....n-amp-SPOILERS

The current page with your comments and my replies:
    http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post2989713

Please, feel free to explore the various topics in the forum and add your thoughts.
    Last edited by Awonder; 08-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Hi and welcome!

What AWonder said

Please keep discussion of various aspects of the character (movie, comic issues, etc.) to the appropriate threads.

Thanks!

GF
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

TrueWWFan

Sorry about that! I'm so new to this! Should I erase my post now that it's been reposed elsewhere? I'm happy to do so! Thanks!

TrueWWFan

Thank you so much for reposting my long post, Awonder! I'm sorry I posted in the wrong area! I'm just so excited to talk to others who share my fandom! :-)
    Last edited by TrueWWFan; 08-03-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Y'all are good, but thanks for offering!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!