Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    newyorklegend

Hi everybody, I'm new to the site and I am interested in learning as much as possible about Wonder Woman. At the same time I am a big fan and supporter of her course.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by newyorklegend View Post
    Hi everybody, I'm new to the site and I am interested in learning as much as possible about Wonder Woman. At the same time I am a big fan and supporter of her course.
    Welcome!

Are you a fan of Diana's comics at all or do you know her from animated series and her recent movie?

bisson

Default Hola!

HOLA!

I usually come to CBR for the articles. But the forum is something new to me. Not forums in general or Wonder Woman forums, but this one. And I'm happy to see so much conversation!

My name is Paul and I've been a lifelong Wonder Woman fan - starting with her appearance on the Superfriends. My first WW comic was v1-251. Actually, I have a lot of fandoms. WW is right at the top. I've been a nerd all my life but only recently have I tried to offer something of my own into the fandom world. To that end, I've created blogs and podcasts and wikis.

My latest contribution is a Wonder Woman podcast called Satin Tights, where I review the Lynda Carter TV show with my co-host and fellow nerd, Ray Caspio. I've posted a separate thread about it here in the forum - check it out.

I'm working on my profile so you can learn all about me. But I just wanted to chime in here and say, "Hi."

pkb

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueWWFan View Post
    Hi Hgzip! Thank you for your insights! I wouldn't know what the others of this message board have been saying about the Wonder Woman movie because I haven't seen the other threads yet. But I'd love to answer you point by point...

1. I HATE that they made Diana the daughter of Zeus, just like you, but that really wasn't the film's fault. It was DC, as you said. It happened in the comic books and in the cartoon way before the movie came out, and I was mad about it then too. Why did they take her goddesses away from her? Why did she have to have a father in the traditional sense? I even wrote a long letter to Patty Jenkins (who is writing the next film, even if she hasn't officially signed on to direct yet), begging her to give Diana back her goddesses in the future, maybe in spirit form at least. As George Perez once said, WW without her mythology is like Thor without Asgard. I sort of get what DC was trying to do when they made that decision - it makes her a legitimate demi-god, but I think it also robs her of some of her feminism, and I think it was a bad move. I also think it was a bad move of the film to have all the gods be dead but Ares. And it begs a huge question... at what point did Zeus impregnate Hippolyta if he died when he created Themyscira? I was trying to write some fan fiction about Wonder Woman's past based on movie cannon, and the question is driving me mad. If Hippolyta already had Diana inside of her when the island was first built, then Diana lived on the island for thousands of years before Steve arrived. Most of that time would have been spent being an adult, not a child (unless she took that long to mature from child to adult, which would be hard to fathom). But she is portrayed as being young and innocent in the film when she leaves the island. As if she had just grown up recently. So which is it? Did Zeus impregnate Hippolyta thousands of years ago and she took forever to mature? Did she mature at a normal rate and she's much older and wiser than she seems? Or is the children's story that Hippolyta read to Diana false, and Zeus is still alive, and he impregnated her not that long ago? I really need to know the answer to this question! Does anyone else on this forum know?

2. I feel that in our modern era, it would be a mistake to make a film based directly on Marston's version of Wonder Woman. It would be like keeping Wolverine in yellow spandex. It wouldn't be palpable to a modern day audience. Do you realize how often Marston had WW in chains saying how much she liked being subservient? How often she was shown to want to give up everything so she could just be Steve's wife? The Golden and Silver Age issues are filled with this kind of stuff. Also, whether she's using her fists or a sword, it's violence no matter what. She's always been a dichotomy of philosophies. Yes, she believes in peace over all and that is her highest mission, but she's not going to get there by being Gandhi. She's a warrior, trained by the Amazons, and her fighting skills are unsurpassed. What good is having god-like speed and strength if she doesn't use it to protect those who can't protect themselves? The sword has always been a symbol of honor and protection as well as a killing device. Either way, she's fighting bad guys and protecting the weak,and she's doing this the only way she knows how. I think the sword is incredibly cool, and I don't mind her using it at all. She still believes that every life is sacred, and she alluded to that at one point in the film too. However, she will kill if necessary. This has been portrayed in many of her comic series (depending on the writer), and again is not the film's fault. It is a tough area, though, that could be debated both ways.

3. Okay, I gave this one a lot of thought, and I decided that if Diana has been on this island for thousands of years (and even if she hasn't) the tournament wouldn't make any sense because she would be immediately recognized, no matter how well she disguised herself. All the Amazons know each other quiet well, I would imagine, and if she's the only one in a mask of some kind, and she's mysteriously missing from the spectators, they would know. Hippolyta isn't an idiot. Just the shape of her legs, or a stray curl of her hair would give her away. I call this another "yellow spandex" moment that wouldn't jive with a modern audience. Yellow spandex is when they have to break with comic book cannon in order to translate to the big screen. Like her outfit... I couldn't be more relieved to see her out of her patriotic American bathing suit! I've always loved my Wonder Woman, but I certainly haven't always loved her costume. She looks WAAAAAY better now! I'm also so thrilled to see her living somewhere else in the world besides America! Because so many super heroes were created by American writers, our country is over-saturated with them. Her movie wouldn't have had nearly the impact if it had been told from an American point of view. I'm so grateful America wasn't involved in the film at all! We barely experienced either of the wars compared to what other countries had to endure!

4. An interesting point. I think all the side kicks had to be male in order to avoid alienating the male audience, since most of the comic book movie audience has always been male (up until WW, YAY!), so they had to balance things out a bit. But on a positive note, you'll notice she never listened to any of Steve's directions, and she never needed support or rescuing from anyone else. She stood alone and did the rescuing herself. Steve didn't save her from Ares. He didn't save her from the bad guys in the alley. He never saved her from anything except a bit of clothing embarrassment. And his friends didn't help her with anything either. Steve's friends helped Steve. They didn't help HER, and I think that's an important distinction.

Thank you so much for your insights! This is just the kind of debating I wanted to do! And of course, these are just my personal opinions. :-)
    If I recall Diana did listen to Steve in the movie especially when she tried to go after Ludendorff when it would be more advantageous to get him later and she followed his lead when he made plans to try get Diana to the front. That being said I am humble lover of literature from the east who just joined and is merely here to pass his greeting my surname is Woo.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    If I recall Diana did listen to Steve in the movie especially when she tried to go after Ludendorff when it would be more advantageous to get him later and she followed his lead when he made plans to try get Diana to the front. That being said I am humble lover of literature from the east who just joined and is merely here to pass his greeting my surname is Woo.
    Let's take the discussion to the appropriate thread(s) and leave this one for introductions, please.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Let's take the discussion to the appropriate thread(s) and leave this one for introductions, please.
    Sorry couldn't resist.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Hola Wonder fans!

Todd from California here. New to these boards, but had been a longtime member of the recently closed Comicbloc boards.
    Glad to find another community where I can geek out about all things Wonder and DC. I work in corporate retail as a financial planner and spend my nights in the theatre as a choreographer and sometimes-director. Happily partnered for 20+ years with a foster son and 2 dogs and a basement full of comics. I've been collecting Diana since shortly after COIE (although I followed her in JLA for several years before that). I've been there for all of the runs since (some good, some bad). I love all the classic WW stuff like Diana (duh), Donna, Hippolyta, Steve Trevor, and Etta (in her many incarnations). Looking forward to reading all your thoughts about Wonder Woman & Co.
    Last edited by astro@work; 02-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.

All-New Member

Hey guys, I am a new member here. The name's Richard. I have not really been a Wonder Woman fan until I saw the latest Wonder Woman starring Gal Gadot in the cinemas. I must say, the latest movie that came out is the best version yet!! And the costume is just really fitting to how she is as a warrior.

Hey guys, welcome to the WW forum!!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Ah, I suppose I should probably introduce myself.

I was introduced to Wonder Woman through reruns of the Superfriends, though I didn't really get into the comics until a few years ago, when I was first hearing news about the Wonder Woman movie coming out. Wanting to get an idea of what to expect and not really being that familiar with how comics worked at the time, I started reading from the first issue of Sensation comics. Between comixology, trades, and single issues up for sale, ive been working my way through reading everything Wonder Woman.

Ive so far finished Sensation comics, got my hands on the complete Comic Cavalcade which was a bit costly. Read the Wonder Woman newspaper strips, and im still working my way through the depowered period. At this point determined to read through the entirety of Wonder Woman for the bragging rights.

Hello, I became a fan of hers because the new 52 movie. I began with Son of Batman and I had to see the others, this was early 2016. Then the lego movie's that I found her cute. Her movie that was great, i pick up her new 52 run but then I stop got busy with family and my brother wife having a baby. This year 2018 my 2 year old niece was dress as Wonder Woman it was so cute. I have began to pick up her book again but I am so lost on what is going on.

I like to read hers and Superman fan fictions.
    Last edited by DianaWw; 11-15-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Hola Amazonians! My name is B, and I’m in my 30’s. I’ve been a fan of Wonder Woman since I was 3, watching reruns of Super Friends and the Linda Carter Wonder Woman television show. I got into comics right around the same time, mostly from my older cousins who were “too cool” for comics anymore. It started my love of the X-Men, Avengers, FF, Superman, Batman, and so on. But the only place I could get my fix was from issues of Gerry Conway’s run on JLoA, because my cousins never collected her title. I was around 5 when I found my first issue on a spinner rack, and I saw Wonder Woman 327, a Crisis crossover issue. I convinced my mom to buy it for me, because it was tied into the Crisis storyline, and I loved it. I’ve since got every issue of Gerry Conway’s Bronze Age run up to the current run.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Hi, my name is Leze Casey. I am a part-time nurse and a feminist. I am a big fan of Marvel and after watching the Wonder Woman movie, I love her as well. She has a kick-ass character which all women can look up to and encapsulate. And Gal Gadot looks so like the character!

BANNED

Greetings everybody. I have checked this forum for a while and finally decided to join. I hope everybody is doing fine. I have been a Wondy fan since i was 5, when i first saw the character in The Super Friends cartoon show. She is my fav hero. The combination of magic, mythology, warrior, diplomat and scientist is very interesting to me. I find her character to have many flavors to offer. I am very excited for the upcoming film WW84!!!. I hope i can make new friends in this community!

Welcome to the Wonder Forum!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!