Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wolverine Fatigue?

So it seems that Wolverine is not as popular as he used to be and I am genuinely curious. Is it because he is over exposed and is featured in a lot of titles? Is it because his current characterization is not well received? What are your thoughts?

Amazing Member

My thoughts ? He's been tampered with too much. Deprived of his healing power, basically making him useless in fights, made into a whining leader of a team. making him take a stance on Mutant future hat goes contrary to what the character has always been.
    Making him take the side of the Avengers in A vs X. Putting this loner in charge of a team

In other terms , bad scripting.

He should come back to death :

- With his FULL healing power
    - As a team member, not as a leader
    - Not part of an official Avengers team: If you make him an Avenger, make it an unsanctioned team, one that Cap and Ironman will help but never admit is part of the Avengers
    - With better writers and writers taht understand ANd love the character

He's getting shelved for awhile with this whole death thing, so I think anyone with Wolverine fatigue can chill out for now.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WOLVIE16 View Post
    My thoughts ? He's been tampered with too much. Deprived of his healing power, basically making him useless in fights, made into a whining leader of a team. making him take a stance on Mutant future hat goes contrary to what the character has always been.
    Making him take the side of the Avengers in A vs X. Putting this loner in charge of a team

In other terms , bad scripting.

He should come back to death :

- With his FULL healing power
    - As a team member, not as a leader
    - Not part of an official Avengers team: If you make him an Avenger, make it an unsanctioned team, one that Cap and Ironman will help but never admit is part of the Avengers
    - With better writers and writers taht understand ANd love the character
    Pretty much my thoughts. I was getting a little tired of the character being over exposed but the tipping point was his stance in AvX. Pitting him against his fellow X-men was not a good move.

BANNED

i wouldn't be bothered if he never appeared in another X-Book ever again

Amazing Member

I think it's because it's basically impossible to write a good story with him because essentially he has to return to the status quo all the time. There's no growth in the character. He's been the same for as long as I can remember.

And also because he's basically been strip-mined for stories and it's virtually impossible to write anything original. A combination of the 2.

Dare I say because there aren't many good writers at Marvel atm as another factor?

And btw, Origin was complete crap. One of the most stupid and boring stories I've ever read.

Just kill him I guess, but honestly, I don't care. I've been deliberately avoiding anything Wolverine for quite a few years now. I think the Claremont days were the only time I had any real enthusiasm for him.

Also, probably too much editorial mandate holding sway over him once he got his own series.
    Last edited by mikef; 06-04-2014 at 09:14 AM.

BANNED

He's still popular, but it's a different time. The masses are now all over Deadpool the way the masses once focused on Wolverine.

Logan's fandom has become a cooler, quieter, more discerning bunch.

BANNED

I am a fan of Wolverine.
    And I do not want him dead.
    Burn in hell, Marvel.

His loss in popularity largely stems from our societies tendency to find things uncool when they hit main stream popularity.

Also the revealing of his history really hurt his popularity especially how lame it was. The fact that Logan isn't his real name mis-step. Having an early love be Jean Grey light, mis-step. Having him not be Canadian mis-step. Having him come from wealth, well you get the idea.

Also just saying abracadabra he remembers his past was a HUGE mistake. That should have been the result of an epic story arc not the scarlet witch muttering three words.

And finally over amping his healing factor to the point there is zero suspense to him fighting anyone. Add to that the fact it came at the price of his fighting ability or any thought of dodging attacks.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I think it's because it's basically impossible to write a good story with him because essentially he has to return to the status quo all the time. There's no growth in the character. He's been the same for as long as I can remember.

And also because he's basically been strip-mined for stories and it's virtually impossible to write anything original. A combination of the 2.

Dare I say because there aren't many good writers at Marvel atm as another factor?

And btw, Origin was complete crap. One of the most stupid and boring stories I've ever read.

Just kill him I guess, but honestly, I don't care. I've been deliberately avoiding anything Wolverine for quite a few years now. I think the Claremont days were the only time I had any real enthusiasm for him.

Also, probably too much editorial mandate holding sway over him once he got his own series.
    The same ? This is a charcater taht started out as a complete savage, a weapon of mass destruction that was little more tah an animal. If a chracter has known significant development over the years, he is it.
    Origin was a great story
    Nothing left to write about ? Maybe, because the writers are either not creative or aren't allowed to be by Marvel.

Orgin got too involved in things you never wanted to know the orgin of anyway. Why does he smoke Cigars oh he thought another guy looked cool doing it. Why does he have a thing for redheads? Should have been well who doesn't. Not because a long lost love he doesn't even remember had red hair. Where did he get the name Logan oh he ripped it off from someone else.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    His loss in popularity largely stems from our societies tendency to find things uncool when they hit main stream popularity.

Also the revealing of his history really hurt his popularity especially how lame it was. The fact that Logan isn't his real name mis-step. Having an early love be Jean Grey light, mis-step. Having him not be Canadian mis-step. Having him come from wealth, well you get the idea.

Also just saying abracadabra he remembers his past was a HUGE mistake. That should have been the result of an epic story arc not the scarlet witch muttering three words.

And finally over amping his healing factor to the point there is zero suspense to him fighting anyone. Add to that the fact it came at the price of his fighting ability or any thought of dodging attacks.
    - There should have been some mystery left about him
    - He was born in Alberta : Last time i checked ( BTW, i am Canadian ) , Alberta was part of Canada
    - Having Jean as a love interest was a great idea. It made him the tragic hero who can never get the woman he loves.
    - Coming from wealth, a mistep ? Why ?
    - Amping his healing factor to the point he could be incinerated to the bone by Pyro and still surviving was stupid. But, depriving him of his healing factor to the point he can no longer fight was stupid as well. At teh time of Fatal Attractions, he had the right balance. If not for Jean Grey, he would have died

I think people are getting sick of him taking over the movies too.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    I think people are getting sick of him taking over the movies too.
    In the USA maybe. In spite of great reviews, DOFP will likely do less box-office than Variety projected ( $260 million domestic, $490 million foreign. Foreign already has passed $360 million while Domestic is $165 . Looks like the foreign take will be right on the money while the domestic take will fall short. And it is already THE most popular X-Men movie so far. The Wolverine comes third , and like DOFP, 2/3 of it's box office comes from abroad. So, yes, it looks like there is Wolverine fatigue in the USA, but not in the rest of the World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WOLVIE16 View Post
    In the USA maybe. In spite of great reviews, DOFP will likely do less box-office than Variety projected ( $260 million domestic, $490 million foreign. Foreign already has passed $360 million while Domestic is $165 . Looks like the foreign take will be right on the money while the domestic take will fall short. And it is already THE most popular X-Men movie so far. The Wolverine comes third , and like DOFP, 2/3 of it's box office comes from abroad. So, yes, it looks like there is Wolverine fatigue in the USA, but not in the rest of the World.
    X-Men: First Class - US - $146 408
    Wolverine 15 seconds