View Poll Results: How would you grade the issue?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 stars

10 29.41%
  • 4 stars

6 17.65%
  • 3 stars

5 14.71%
  • 2 stars

9 26.47%
  • 1 star

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Amazing X-Men Annual #1 Review and Heavy Spoilers

Gather forth, a heartwarming story unfolds!

In this done-in-one tale we get to see Storm at the front and center once more. Her cousin gets abducted by some nasty Nuhuman, you know those nasty newcomers that pretend to replace mutantkind. This Inhuman has a cross to bear with Storm and kidnaps her cousin. Yes Storm has cousins, deal with it. The Amazing X-Men cast is quickly decided while the rabble stay at the school to look after the children and off they go back to Africa.

As they arrive they are quickly welcomed by Storm's Fan Club who want to sacrifice goats in her name but she tells them it's not necessary. Wolverine tracks the inhuman filth (due to their stench) to a Volcano and the X-Men go there to bring mighty justice to them. This Meruda then performs a nasty ritual using the soul of Storm's cousin to summon a god of death called Gawa in what seems to be a scene heavily influenced by Temple of Doom. The plan was for this god to feast on Storm's flesh, it was all a trap! While the X-Men battle this god, Storm goes after Meruda, because stopping him will release her cousin's soul and stop the God.

Battle of elements unfold and Meruda tells his story. Apparently when Storm rescued a certain boy whose name needs not be named she created a massive sandstorm and this sandstorm destroyed the village where Meruda lived, leaving him the sole survivor. This little retelling is wondrous not because of what it tells, but because it completely retcons that awful Storm v2 limited series we were subjected to during the Stormbot years. Thank you kind goddess for giving us that. Mightly battle ensues and Storm emerges victorious obviously

Storm then feels guilty and asks for a time to herself, returning to her Goddess persona and helping the villages in the area. She is then approached by a ghost from Meruda's village that tells her it wasn't her fault, that sandstorms were something that happened there all the time and she had nothing to do with it. But something clearly has resonated in Storm. She can do more. She can help more people. And by the Goddess she will!

This is a perfect setup for her series. Storm has seen she can do more for the entire planet and she certainly will. The story wasn't groundbreaking, it wasn't the best story ever, it was a simple story where the heroes go fight the villain and save the day. The sort of simple story we haven't seen in a while. If that story happens to retcon horrible moments and have Storm cutting loose it's just more added flavor. Loved every second of it.

Oh yes, there is some Firestar thing after but I didn't bother reading that.
    Last edited by Valeficent; 06-04-2014 at 08:54 AM.

This sounds so good. I can't wait to get my hands on it later this evening. I'll return to vote on the poll.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

BANNED

I love Storm's lines.

So is this just all about Storm then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yea, sounds like it's more of a lead in to her series than it is an installment of Amazing X-Men. Passable.

a work in progress LycheeLoving's Avatar

Just read it. I agree - it's a fairly simple and straightforward story that serves as a perfect set-up for her solo. I enjoyed it, it was a fun read (with Ororo getting some fun lines that were totally reminiscent of her 90s cartoon days whew)

But more importantly! That retcon! Made my entire day!!! Thank goodness. Thank goodness.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LycheeLoving View Post
    Just read it. I agree - it's a fairly simple and straightforward story that serves as a perfect set-up for her solo. I enjoyed it, it was a fun read (with Ororo getting some fun lines that were totally reminiscent of her 90s cartoon days whew)

But more importantly! That retcon! Made my entire day!!! Thank goodness. Thank goodness.
    The Stormbot Years are over. Let the STORM rage on.

Retcon?

'Splain si vouz please?

a work in progress LycheeLoving's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Retcon?

'Splain si vouz please?
    More of a retcon of a retcon, actually! (does that make it reverting back to the original canon? something?)

Basically Ororo mentions in a flashback how the Big Bad of this annual first encountered her when she first saved T'Challa all those years ago. Which retcons the retcon that T'Challa saved her. (does that make sense? I used retcon so many times in the same sentences the word looks funny now guh)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Retcon?

'Splain si vouz please?
    Storm v2, that horrible limited series that made Storm sleeping with you know who when she was twelve and having him save her instead of the other way around. All that horrible series by that Jerome Dickey or something like that was retconned, the story is back to the original, Marvel Team Up 100. Storm saved him and they just met and both parted ways with no more between. The way it should be. Claremontian History should not be touched and it has now been restored!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LycheeLoving View Post
    More of a retcon of a retcon, actually! (does that make it reverting back to the original canon? something?)

Basically Ororo mentions in a flashback how the Big Bad of this annual first encountered her when she first saved T'Challa all those years ago. Which retcons the retcon that T'Challa saved her. (does that make sense? I used retcon so many times in the same sentences the word looks funny now guh)
    So BP was in this issue? scan please so that I can clearly create a vivid patter of the retcon.

More scans please!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    More scans please!
    there is a limit to the scans we can post. So, in the words of the almighty Wanda: No More Scans.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    So BP was in this issue? scan please so that I can clearly create a vivid patter of the retcon.

More scans please!
    Buy the book.

I thought this was a good read but it went by too fast like many of the current single issue stories do. I didnt get a chance to understand much about meruda beyond his misguided revenge plot and his powers which seem to mix magic and inhuman mutant powers to make him an elemental in the same way as storm? at times it was hard to figure out if he was controling the weather or the sand or what.

Its amazing that storm has been with them so long and no one has thought to ask her about her family? you guys suck hahaha.

I liked that she got a story though and it is a good peek into her mental state and motivation which hopefully feeds into her solo book.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    The other X-men get some side action to try an take down a death monster, but Storm ultimately takes care of that as well.