Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Doom is less of a racist bigot and more of a narcissist that sees himself as being above all others regardless of race, religion, or station.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Doom having racist tendencies was in the books long before Hudlin.

Wow, good find

I don't think he's going to be found as a racist consistently enough to really count it as a trait, but I think the idea here and there is that he's not far from it. Which is a fair assumption as far as comics go.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Wow, good find

I don't think he's going to be found as a racist consistently enough to really count it as a trait, but I think the idea here and there is that he's not far from it. Which is a fair assumption as far as comics go.
    Doom strikes me not so much as a traditional racist, but as an old school non-egalitarian who believes that all people beneath his status are inferiors. This definitely leaves room for racism, but it also means that he sees just about everybody not on his level as savages. Also, he might be a believer in an ideology similar to what we see in North Korea; that everybody outside of his tiny country are racial inferiors, and that it's his duty to protect them from supposed degrading foreign influence.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Fantastic Member

Doom would reign supreme over the world, but he would probably allow Magneto to have Genosha. But if they did come into conflict it would be more akin to a chess match. Each attempting to derail the other's plans.

Isn't there a Luke Cage scene with Doom that's pretty racist? Doombots attraction to Storm could be seen as defective seeing how Doom said that Doombot was defective. Additionally there's a thing about racists fetishising ethnic women...

http://io9.com/5899111/10-times-doct...own-the-toilet
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 08-30-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I've never seen him express hatred of mutants. Doom seems to consider everyone equally inferior to himself. Being born with the ability to shoot lasers out of your eyes or punch really hard is just another way to be inferior to his towering intellect. He seems to view powers the way humans view the abilities of animals: situationally dangerous, but ultimately a joke compared to the ability to invent and prepare.
    He did it in Secret Wars by calling mutants a blight. And this is apparently a lead on from his HoM f*ck up.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 08-30-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

When it comes to Doom it seems there has been a belief held among some fans that Doom is bigoted against mutants, but it appears that Doom being racist towards anyone has been a rather inconsistent trait.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Doom's racism is much like any other trait for a villain - it'll appear depending upon whose book he's the villain in and whether the writer wants to play the race card (or simply can't think of another reason for Doom to be there).

It hasn't been seen consistently enough for me to believe he is meant to be a racist, and certainly, racism wouldn't really tie with his own back story. For my money, any implied racism comes from his extreme arrogance rather than from an actual race hate place.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I don't see Fisk getting along with many other villains that aren't assassins for hire.
    Last edited by Captain Zolalnadia; 08-31-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    He did it in Secret Wars by calling mutants a blight. And this is apparently a lead on from his HoM f*ck up.
    he also did it way back in ff during the 80s. he is trying to find someone to fill with the power cosmic and someone suggest magneto. and doom flies off the handle and calls magneto a "freak"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Doom strikes me not so much as a traditional racist, but as an old school non-egalitarian who believes that all people beneath his status are inferiors. This definitely leaves room for racism, but it also means that he sees just about everybody not on his level as savages. Also, he might be a believer in an ideology similar to what we see in North Korea; that everybody outside of his tiny country are racial inferiors, and that it's his duty to protect them from supposed degrading foreign influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Isn't there a Luke Cage scene with Doom that's pretty racist? Doombots attraction to Storm could be seen as defective seeing how Doom said that Doombot was defective. Additionally there's a thing about racists fetishising ethnic women...

http://io9.com/5899111/10-times-doct...own-the-toilet
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    It hasn't been seen consistently enough for me to believe he is meant to be a racist, and certainly, racism wouldn't really tie with his own back story.
    But that's not to say having a particular background couldn't foster racial bias.

Not that anyone is likely to tie him in with Red Skull. Oddly enough, Red Skull himself isn't exactly a Nazi. His right hand Crossbones has never explicitly been racist either, to my knowledge. He's a mercenary who would work for a good boss hands down, though he's really only worked for the Skull.

here is doom referring to magneto as a 'freak.'

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zolalnadia View Post
    I don't see Fisk getting along with many other villains that aren't assassins for hire.
    Yeah, but he can generally live-and-let-live unless somebody threatens his turf.

Count Nefaria? No problem.

Hammerhead or Silvermane? Dig a hole.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Indeed. After all, Doom did save Kitty's life when he really didn't need to. If he was prejudiced in any way against mutants, he wouldn't have done this.
    Yes he did do this, but insomuch as to prey on Reed's insecurities at the time in an attempt to break the FF up. And oh by the way, at the end it was Reed who saved Kitty not Doom. The only reason they went to Doom was because Richards turned them down thinking he couldn't do it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    here is doom referring to magneto as a 'freak.'

Some writers have also portrayed Magneto as a monstrous genocidal psychopath, most of the big villains are going to have inconsistent portrayals, they have been written several different ways by different writers over a period of several decades.

Heck of all the major villains, Red Skull is easily the most consistent, he is written as pure evil all the time.