View Poll Results: How would you rate ANXF #9?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Gambit and Angela sitting in a tree

10 27.78%
  • 4 - Quicksilver's Mags rant was beautiful

18 50.00%
  • 3 - Memento Mori just went beast mode

1 2.78%
  • 2 - Gambit needs to get nekkid more

3 8.33%
  • 1 - This needed more Danger & Warlock

4 11.11%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I watched an anime a few years back that had an episode titled "Memento Mori." Yeah, that particular episode didn't end well for a few characters.
    Was it Eureka 7 or Gundam. I have seen it in those animes.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Well hey, I just finished reading the issue. I'm never completely sure if I should post my thoughts here or on the ANXF thread. This was another good issue.

• I like the hint at the use of tech at the start of the issue. To be honest, I've been expecting that Snow or at the very least someone at Serval is seeing those moments with Lorna through her eye nanocam, and probably all the other humans on the team.
    • I liked Gambit thinking that he would suggest, not tell, Lorna about the idea of taking Georgia back to Dakei. It's one word, but that one word is an important distinction.
    • As well, I liked Gambit thinking about how Doug's attitude toward him when getting off the plane was atypical of Doug. Without that, I think a casual reader could have easily assumed Doug was a jerk.
    • Gambit looks very charming when he calls for another drink. I've never thought that of him before, but that moment did it well, and I'd say it's a bright spot where both artist and writer really nailed that for him.
    • The guys in the masks and robes add more fuel to the perception of Serval as an evil company. The masks and robes are very ominous, and you have to wonder why they're wearing that stuff at all. Unless those are supposed to be robots, but I didn't get that impression. They looked to me like men in masks and robes.
    • The argument between Lorna and Pietro was a good one overall. I think Pietro's attitude here is perfectly valid; this is a matter of personal business for Georgia and in many ways one between Lorna and Pietro as half-brother and half-sister, not one of leadership and missions. Also, I'm glad we got to see a big scene like this for Pietro. As I've said before, I felt that he wasn't getting enough panel time before ANXF #8.
    • It's kind of cool to see Lorna in a skirt. She's wearing more realistic clothing in this issue. I also just want to say that when I said in the past that Lorna's clothing looked like 90s RPG attire, that was me poking fun, not a criticism, just like "Oliver's drunk" is poking fun. Honestly, Lorna wearing bizarre and terrible everyday clothing, at least in my opinion, would make sense for her. She was out in space for a long time, I can see it as something of Lorna having to readjust to Earth culture again.

I have something to say about Memento Mori, but I'm going to save it for the ANXF thread. I think it's more relevant there, whereas this is a review thread.
    Last edited by salarta; 06-04-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Incredible Member

I'm very confused with Georgia: why did she hug Gambit specifically when she got off the plane? What the heck did Gambit do to get the special treatment? I understand why she hugged Quicksilver: because he had just said he would bring her to her mother like she wanted to. But Gambit?
    Also, about the name "Memento Mori"...Georgia's tear drop tattoo reminds me of the eye tattoo Death (from the Sandman comics) has and the eye of Horus. I guess what I'm trying to say is that father and daughter seem to have a "death motif" happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Oh Gambit, you dun screwed up big time. Although to be fair, he didn't know who she was. So I cannot blame him too much.
    It reminds me of the movie Major League when Suzanne Dorn sought out and seduced Rick Vaugn to piss off Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    I'm very confused with Georgia: why did she hug Gambit specifically when she got off the plane? What the heck did Gambit do to get the special treatment? I understand why she hugged Quicksilver: because he had just said he would bring her to her mother like she wanted to. But Gambit?
    Also, about the name "Memento Mori"...Georgia's tear drop tattoo reminds me of the eye tattoo Death (from the Sandman comics) has and the eye of Horus. I guess what I'm trying to say is that father and daughter seem to have a "death motif" happening.
    It was Gambit in the last issue who coached Georgia through using her her powers to restore Cypher. He said, "You can do this Georgia. Okay. I know you can. Just reverse it. Concentrate on undoing what you did." Then when she says, "I'll try," he responds, "Don't try. Do it." So probably the first time anyone valued or believed in her I am guessing.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    I assumed Georgia thanked Gambit because of the bullet shot their way. It was meant for Gambit, we know that, but it's conceivable that Georgia thought it was for her. But, I could be reading way too deeply into that. Other than that possibility, I can't think of any reason why Georgia would thank Gambit.

Interesting observation about the tattoo. You might want to check my latest post in the ANXF appreciation thread. It matches up perfectly with what you just pointed out.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    The shmuck thing was funny, Cypher is definitely crushing on Georgia, no other explanation required.
    I hope not. She is 15. I think he is just jealous of her thanks. Gambit can't even decide if he wants to be a hero, and Quicksilver is a jackass 100% of the time and Georgia hugs and thanks them, but ignored Cyper, the man who is trying to be a hero and whos idea the whole rescue was in the first place.

I thought Cypher is only suppose to be 16 or 17 or is he in his 20s now?

I thought he was in his 20's. He is working full time at a big corporation. I think he would have to be at least 18 for that to happen. But grated this is the first time I've ever read anything with him in it, so I could have the wrong assumption about his age.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    It was Gambit in the last issue who coached Georgia through using her her powers to restore Cypher. He said, "You can do this Georgia. Okay. I know you can. Just reverse it. Concentrate on undoing what you did." Then when she says, "I'll try," he responds, "Don't try. Do it." So probably the first time anyone valued or believed in her I am guessing.
    I also think its because he believed in her and her abilities. He coached her and she was glad to see her powers were not a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I assumed Georgia thanked Gambit because of the bullet shot their way. It was meant for Gambit, we know that, but it's conceivable that Georgia thought it was for her. But, I could be reading way too deeply into that. Other than that possibility, I can't think of any reason why Georgia would thank Gambit.
    I also think there is some appreciation on her part for saving her life in regards to the bullet.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli View Post
    I hope not. She is 15. I think he is just jealous of her thanks. Gambit can't even decide if he wants to be a hero, and Quicksilver is a jackass 100% of the time and Georgia hugs and thanks them, but ignored Cyper, the man who is trying to be a hero and whos idea the whole rescue was in the first place.
    The whole time I thought she was older, I completely missed when they gave her age. The youngest I'd have Cyper is maybe 19 so no it doesn't look lke the romance will be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli View Post
    I thought he was in his 20's. He is working full time at a big corporation. I think he would have to be at least 18 for that to happen. But grated this is the first time I've ever read anything with him in it, so I could have the wrong assumption about his age.
    You can work full time in Virigina (where Serval HQ is) and most states at the age of 16 as long as it's not in a hazardous occupation. I suppose super hero would qualify as hazardous though, lol. If he is younger than 18 then maybe they put him down as "Data Analyst" and not as a superhero.

Dandesun

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    It reminds me of the movie Major League when Suzanne Dorn sought out and seduced Rick Vaugn to piss off Roger.
    I thought the exact same thing when I read it. She very clearly had an agenda in going after Remy, the question is, how will it play out?

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Cypher died when he was about 17, and stayed dead for 30 years our time. He's been back about 6 months Marvel time, I reckon. So he's probably 17 and a half or so now. He was written as though he were a bit older when he returned, (magical death ageing?) so it's not totally clear. I think David could chose to write him as anywhere between 17 and 22. In which case crushing on a 16 year old ranges from completely fine to kinda creepy.

I found this issue a bit disjointed, and a bit of an inbetweeny one to be honest. Not a filler, but setting up future plots.

It's funny: Spurrier's X-Force is doing an arc called Memento Mori at the moment based on an obscure comic Marvel put out in the eighties. I don't think it's connected in anyway, just coincidence.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Cypher died when he was about 17, and stayed dead for 30 years our time. He's been back about 6 months Marvel time, I reckon. So he's probably 17 and a half or so now. He was written as though he were a bit older when he returned, (magical death ageing?) so it's not totally clear. I think David could chose to write him as anywhere between 17 and 22. In which case crushing on a 16 year old ranges from completely fine to kinda creepy.

I found this issue a bit disjointed, and a bit of an inbetweeny one to be honest. Not a filler, but setting up future plots.

It's funny: Spurrier's X-Force is doing an arc called Memento Mori at the moment based on an obscure comic Marvel put out in the eighties. I don't think it's connected in anyway, just coincidence.
    It sounds like Memento Mori is a term on everyone's minds at Marvel for one reason or another. I'd like to say it's just a lot of people coming up with the same idea because they're part of the same culture, but honestly, a company as corporate as Marvel has become is one that makes me think it's more likely something that's been engineered across the Marvel books. I'm starting to think it can't be just coincidence.

I agree that the issue felt like it's in-between things. All of the first issues for each arc have felt that way.