View Poll Results: How would you rate ANXF #9?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Gambit and Angela sitting in a tree

10 27.78%
  • 4 - Quicksilver's Mags rant was beautiful

18 50.00%
  • 3 - Memento Mori just went beast mode

1 2.78%
  • 2 - Gambit needs to get nekkid more

3 8.33%
  • 1 - This needed more Danger & Warlock

4 11.11%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Looks like Doug added Yiddish to the many languages he knows.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spasticat View Post
    I need to make sure I'm not around anyone when I'm reading new issues, because I straight up blurted out, "Remy, you dumbass!" pretty loudly...much to my co-worker's amusement :x Love the direction this story is going in, although Angela came across as 'easy' to me. Gambit barely had to try at all, and I don't believe for even one minute that he didn't expect things to end up exactly the way they did. Angela's "hope you had a good time" comment was hilarious; if you have to wonder out loud whether your partner had a good time, you're not doing something right.
    I saw that as a ploy on her part. Confirming his good time to be used when she decides to throw it in Harrison's face. Just a messy mind game between the Snow's, etc. LOL
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

To be fair, if you decided to get some revenge on your husband and Gambit was around...it's not really a difficult choice to make. I wonder how many employees know, since she knew exactly where to find him.

On the upside, Gambit just got two reasons to stick around and find out what the eff is going on. Getting him personally involved works out well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I saw that as a ploy on her part. Confirming his good time to be used when she decides to throw it in Harrison's face. Just a messy mind game between the Snow's, etc. LOL
    Yeah I thought it was foreshadowing like "Hope you had a good time because things are about to get really awkward between you and Harrison."
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Spectacular Member Living Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Living Silver View Post
    Doug has always been into ladies on the mature end of the spectrum.
    Wait, what am I talking about? He dated Rahne, who was the youngest of the team (14/15?)
    Then again, she's the one who pursued him, so I dunno.
    Quicksilver.tk

Fantastic Member

Doug came back in Necrosha right? like back in X-force V2? I remember him being on the X-force team at the end of Second Coming. That would be probably about 2 years marvel time. Not sure how old he was when he died.

This series is consistently good. Not quite enough Danger or Quicksilver for my tastes though, although just about the right amount of Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Yes, he is. He threw a tantrum when Magneto wouldn't let him train. He slapped Roulette for helping him with his gambling. He drank underage at a party. He assumed Tarot wasn't really interested because his self-loathing wouldn't allow him to think she liked him.
    You remember him well!

I really liked #9. It read so smoothly. I agree with most of the comments. One question I have is, why was Lorna so helpless at the end? She seemed to forget she had powers, or did I read that wrong? What were M. Mori's powers? Electrical based? Shouldn't magnetism be able to handle that? For that matter, everyone seemed stunned and paralyzed; did M. Mori freeze them all?

Also, I kept waiting for Lorna to make the instant connection with Georgia's family history, on her own, but instead Pietro (in that goofy cat shirt) was the one to remind her of their family backgrounds, and experiences. And he seemed to miss the point, too; the real comparison isn't DADDY, but that they both spent time as adoptees who didn't know they were adopted. Although M. Mori's reappearance to grab his daughter should irk both Lorna and her brother, since despite all their "bad Magneto" angst, both have deep-down issues with abandonment. That is, Magnus never came back for Lorna, and only found Pietro and Wanda by accident.

In any case, Georgia is a wonderful character and I hope she stays long-term in the X-Books.

I also want to give special praise to the pace and readability of this book. So smooth and elegant, the art and words really work so well together. Carmine di Giandomenico is one of my favorite artists. PAD is one of my favorite writers.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    I really liked #9. It read so smoothly. I agree with most of the comments. One question I have is, why was Lorna so helpless at the end? She seemed to forget she had powers, or did I read that wrong? What were M. Mori's powers? Electrical based? Shouldn't magnetism be able to handle that? For that matter, everyone seemed stunned and paralyzed; did M. Mori freeze them all?
    I think M.Mori came too fast for Lorna to react, Pietro could have done something But I guess we will only see that next issue.

Also, I kept waiting for Lorna to make the instant connection with Georgia's family history, on her own, but instead Pietro (in that goofy cat shirt) was the one to remind her of their family backgrounds, and experiences. And he seemed to miss the point, too; the real comparison isn't DADDY, but that they both spent time as adoptees who didn't know they were adopted. Although M. Mori's reappearance to grab his daughter should irk both Lorna and her brother, since despite all their "bad Magneto" angst, both have deep-down issues with abandonment. That is, Magnus never came back for Lorna, and only found Pietro and Wanda by accident.
    indeed, maybe they kind of wish Magneto had come for them, but also think it was better that he didn`t do it . Lorna must feel this very strongly because Magneto did come for her but leave her with her aunt because he thought it was better for her.

I also want to give special praise to the pace and readability of this book. So smooth and elegant, the art and words really work so well together. Carmine di Giandomenico is one of my favorite artists. PAD is one of my favorite writers.
    Along with Carmine di Giandomenico great talent, I personally enjoy that he also did art for Magneto Testament, so I can see Max or his uncle on Pietro`s facial expressions sometimes.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 06-05-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Incredible Member

I chalk up the team's inaction to surprise. I mean, the dude showed up in the last two pages of the comic....doesn't leave X-Factor with a lot of time to launch an assault. Besides, we need Georgia kidnapped to move the plot forward

Also, I kept waiting for Lorna to make the instant connection with Georgia's family history, on her own, but instead Pietro (in that goofy cat shirt) was the one to remind her of their family backgrounds, and experiences. And he seemed to miss the point, too; the real comparison isn't DADDY, but that they both spent time as adoptees who didn't know they were adopted.
    From what I read, Pietro clearly states that they both know what it's like to be orphans and they should give Georgia a chance to connect with her family. All he says about Magneto is "And our farther...well the less said, the better"

Incredible Member

About the comments on Doug's behavior, and bear in mind I know nothing about the character save some stuff I read about him in Wikipedia BUT....wouldn't Doug's "jealousy" of Gambit and Quicksilver be a continuation of the insecurity he felt in the "New Mutants"? From what I understand, his power is useless in fights, and Doug is very aware of that, so much so that it affects his self-esteem. Quicksilver and Gambit have "useful" powers, they get to be big shot heroes, case in point, they get Georgia's praise and adoration. Whereas Doug, with his language power, doesn't get a second glance. It's like he's reliving his "New Mutant" days, and maybe he's frustrated that he's still as "lame" as he ever was.

As for Gambit and Angela, it's pretty obvious Angela was after Gambit. If a guy told me his superpower was to being irresistible to women, I'd laugh in his face and leave. But Angela decides to stroke his ego instead, even though he hasn't done anything particularly charming up to that point...My guess is, Linda won't tell her boss about the wife's indiscretion and Gambit will have that secret gnaw at his conscience for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    About the comments on Doug's behavior, and bear in mind I know nothing about the character save some stuff I read about him in Wikipedia BUT....wouldn't Doug's "jealousy" of Gambit and Quicksilver be a continuation of the insecurity he felt in the "New Mutants"? From what I understand, his power is useless in fights, and Doug is very aware of that, so much so that it affects his self-esteem. Quicksilver and Gambit have "useful" powers, they get to be big shot heroes, case in point, they get Georgia's praise and adoration. Whereas Doug, with his language power, doesn't get a second glance. It's like he's reliving his "New Mutant" days, and maybe he's frustrated that he's still as "lame" as he ever was.
    I had not thought of that, but that could be. Both Gambit and Quicksilver did something to help Georgia, Gambit coaching her, and QS offering to bring her Mother to her. All Doug did was talk, and Georgia still blames Doug for turning her life upside down. She hasn't forgiven him yet. So, she's ignoring him and it bothers him because it was his idea to save her.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    As for Gambit and Angela, it's pretty obvious Angela was after Gambit. If a guy told me his superpower was to being irresistible to women, I'd laugh in his face and leave. But Angela decides to stroke his ego instead, even though he hasn't done anything particularly charming up to that point...My guess is, Linda won't tell her boss about the wife's indiscretion and Gambit will have that secret gnaw at his conscience for a bit.
    I thought Angela targeted Gambit as well. It was too easy of a hook up. Gambit's indiscretion is found out next issue. Question becomes how far the information travels. This does give Linda some leverage with Angela. Though, I see Angela as a bit more manipulative than Linda.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Wrong thread! Sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 06-06-2014 at 05:19 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I thought Angela targeted Gambit as well. It was too easy of a hook up. Gambit's indiscretion is found out next issue. Question becomes how far the information travels. This does give Linda some leverage with Angela. Though, I see Angela as a bit more manipulative than Linda.
    I am not sure it gives Linda any leverage because I don't think Angela is afraid of Harry finding out and more than likely wants him to find out. This is the proverbial pissing contest between Harry and Angela with Linda and Gambit simply the measuring sticks. I am just waiting for Linda and Gambit to connect over their mutual indiscretions and hook up, lol.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.