Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default More news on Hercules and iceman's sexuality ?

Ok I found something interesting on http://www.therainbowhub.com/hercule...rvel-universe/
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 08-28-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Removed entire quoted article; the link itself is sufficient.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I still wish some random hero would bring up Herc's Many male lovers from his old myth's in the 616 and have him shrug it off like what's the big deal.

BANNED

What "old myth's in the 616"? Title(s) and issue(s) please.

I still consider him Bi. It was stated like this before with evidences and stuff and the writer of the new book won't be exploring his sexuality in the comics as far as I know, and even if he have a relationship with a woman, I doubt that he will call himself straight, bi, gay or anything else, so I don't think we should take totally in count what he said, it sounds very "Oh, I never saw him as bi, he's straight...right?" situation, so whatever.

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

Am I the only one uncomfortable with this recent re-appropriation of the word "queer" to define gay characters and gay people in general?

A man who identifies as queer can be gay, but all men who identify as gay are not queer. These terms are not synonymous to my knowledge, otherwise the Q in LGBTQ is redundant.

But on-topic, I consider Hercules bi. Lets just wait for the right writer who isn't afraid to take a stand and say so.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    Am I the only one uncomfortable with this recent re-appropriation of the word "queer" to define gay characters and gay people in general?

A man who identifies as queer can be gay, but all men who identify as gay are not queer. These terms are not synonymous to my knowledge, otherwise the Q in LGBTQ is redundant.

But on-topic, I consider Hercules bi. Lets just wait for the right writer who isn't afraid to take a stand and say so.
    Yeah I really don't care for that word either but, if there's others who want to reclaim it then they're free to do so. Personally I don't identify with that word at all.

I'm surprised someone wants to re-ignite the conversation on Herc. And I still can't believe Alonso tweeted out that offensive Herc and Jean image, did he really think having his own "hobo piss" moment would be a good idea?

Ultimately I don't think Alonso's opinion will matter if a future writer comes along and wants to portray Herc as bi.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    You're reading it wrong, I think. They mean they wish someone in the 616 would bring up the historical myths about Hercules. They wish someone would bring up the old myths...in the 616. Not, they wish someone would bring up...the old myths in the 616.

BANNED

So, despite the fact that that's precisely what, Darth Phoenix wrote -- I somehow read it wrong?!?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-29-2015 at 04:00 AM.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Sorry I ment his many male lovers from our universe (the real U) brought up in the 616

It would just be nice to not have that part of him straight washed out like they do movies and TV.

Yes, and even there it's just hinted and subject to interpretation.

Also, the original myth has nothing about Hercules being bi. Those were latter additions by greek poets but the myth or hercules itself is really old and it's basically about a huge man with a short temper killing people and monsters with his proportionally huge club.

Edit: btw the hercules myth is one of the oldest "pieces of fiction" known to mankind, it has changed several times through the ages to reflect the changing of times, so to speak.
    Last edited by Haquim; 08-29-2015 at 04:46 AM.

BANNED

Well, considering that open Homosexuality in ancient Rome and Greece was a socially accepted normality -- I'm truly not surprised that it would extend to their GOD(s) as well...
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-29-2015 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Well, considering that open Homosexuality in ancient Rome and Greece was a socially accepted norm -- I'm truly not surprised that it would extend to their GODS as well...
    But the fact is it wasn't really. First of all you can't talk about ancient Greece as a nation (they were warring city states with different laws and customs), then you have to consider the era, and basically when people here talk about ancient Greece they seem to refer to classical Greece (5th and 4th century BC), also Rome was an entirely different beast than Greece, they were heavily influenced by their culture later on but certain circles never truly accepted that and the polemic against greek customs run very strong through a lot of roman history (in the sense of "those debauched foreigners are corrupting the minds of our young!").

Let's just say during the era of classical Greece homosexuality was a thing mostly meant for the noble classes and it was mostly an expression of mysoginism (the rationale was, sex with women was meant for procreation so pure love could only be expressed through homosexuality). Then yes, during this era tastes changed and that was reflected through poetry.
    Last edited by Haquim; 08-29-2015 at 05:27 AM.

Hercules and North star had a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Hercules and North star had a thing.
    ... hinted on one panel of one story about the death of Hercules.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    But the fact is it wasn't really. First of all you can't talk about ancient Greece as a nation (they were warring city states with different laws and customs), then you have to consider the era, and basically when people here talk about ancient Greece they seem to refer to classical Greece (5th and 4th century BC), also Rome was an entirely different beast than Greece, they were heavily influenced by their culture later on but certain circles never truly accepted that and the polemic against greek customs run very strong through a lot of roman history (in the sense of "those debauched foreigners are corrupting the minds of our young!").

Let's just say during the era of classical Greece homosexuality was a thing mostly meant for the noble classes and it was mostly an expression of mysoginism (the rationale was, sex with women was meant for procreation so pure love could only be expressed through homosexuality). Then yes, during this era tastes changed and that was reflected through poetry.
    You'll get no argument from me there.