Default What would you think of Ryan Gosling as Ghost Rider?

Marvel recently got the right to this back, but we haven't heard anything regarding his future. At least I don't think there has been any news. I still think he's one of those characters that hasn't gotten his due, and could really be a player in the Marvel Universe. I'd like to see him done right. Ryan Gosling was in Drive, and for some reason I think he'd make a good Johnny Blaze.

BANNED

Actually, I always thought that Matt Long, the actor that played the young Johnny Blaze in the first Ghost Rider film with Cage would have made an excellent lead for the whole film. If Marvel did do a reboot of Ghost Rider, they should cast him. He looked the part and seemed to be a decent actor. Ryan Gosling just doesn't look the part to me.

BANNED

Much like Punisher, Ghost Rider has proven to be a character with very limited big screen appeal. If Marvel does use him, it'll likely be in some kind of supporting and/or TV role, as with Punisher on Daredevil, which would pretty much take Gosling out of the running. Plus, I don't imagine he'd have much interest in it anyway.

I take it you've seen The Place Beneath the Pines?

I think he'd do well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Much like Punisher, Ghost Rider has proven to be a character with very limited big screen appeal. If Marvel does use him, it'll likely be in some kind of supporting and/or TV role, as with Punisher on Daredevil, which would pretty much take Gosling out of the running. Plus, I don't imagine he'd have much interest in it anyway.
    Well, the character has yet to be in a good movie. Ghost Rider would be a bit more of a problem for tv than those other two, given that's he's a guy with a flaming skull head.

Gosling seems to have an affinity for genre movies, don't know about Ghost Rider, but he seems to like genre stuff.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 08-29-2015 at 01:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Well, the character has yet to be in a good movie. Ghost Rider would be a bit more of a problem for tv than those other two, given that's he's a guy with a flaming skull head.

Gosling seems to have an affinity for genre movies, don't know about Ghost Rider, but he seems to like genre stuff.
    The Punisher's never been in a good movie either. That doesn't change the fact that he's now a supporting character on an internet-based TV show. It has nothing to do with "good" or "bad." It has to do with commercial viability. Ghost Rider doesn't have the commercial pull to justify spending what it would cost to make a feature starring Ryan Gosling. It'd be different if he was a totally unknown quantity, a la Guardians. But he's already had two bites at the apple. There's little chance Marvel would sink feature money into another Ghost Rider movie before making some effort to "rehabilitate" the character under their brand, in a less expensive form, first.

And Gosling has actually done very little genre stuff in his career. He's done mostly straight drama with some comedy and romance mixed in. Drive was the closest thing to a straight up action movie he's ever done, and that came more than a decade into his career. Gangster Squad and The Place Beyond the Pines were more crime dramas/thrillers than action movies. Really, the only thing he's been involved in that hews anywhere near comic book/superhero territory is the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, which hasn't even begun production yet.
    Last edited by kalorama; 08-29-2015 at 03:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    The Punisher's never been in a good movie either. That doesn't change the fact that he's now a supporting character on an internet-based TV show. It has nothing to do with "good" or "bad." It has to do with commercial viability. Ghost Rider doesn't have the commercial pull to justify spending what it would cost to make a feature starring Ryan Gosling. It'd be different if he was a totally unknown quantity, a la Guardians. But he's already had two bites at the apple. There's little chance Marvel would sink feature money into another Ghost Rider movie before making some effort to "rehabilitate" the character under their brand, in a less expensive form, first.

And Gosling has actually done very little genre stuff in his career. He's done mostly straight drama with some comedy and romance mixed in. Drive was the closest thing to a straight up action movie he's ever done, and that came more than a decade into his career. Gangster Squad and The Place Beyond the Pines were more crime dramas/thrillers than action movies. Really, the only thing he's been involved in that hews anywhere near comic book/superhero territory is the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, which hasn't even begun production yet.
    I don't even know why you're talking about with the Punisher, because nothing I said had anything to do with what you're saying there. I wasn't saying they'll never use the character again because he's been in bad movies. You know, just that he would be more of a problem to pull off on tv than the Punisher...because one is a normal (at least that's pretty much how he's always played now) guy that shoots guns, and the other is a guy with a flaming skull head who rides around on a flaming motorcycle.

I don't think Ghost Rider has proven to have limited appeal in movies. Maybe that could be said if the character had been in a good movie that didn't do well, and didn't look bad from the get go, but he hasn't. The only thing the Ghost Rider movies show is that crappy looking movies that aren't any good turned out to not do well.

You do know that crime films and thrillers are genre films? Who really cares if he's been in anything that's like a superhero film? Ghost Rider really shouldn't be played like a superhero film anyways. And he's also been in Only God Forgives, Fracture, and Murder by Numbers; he was going to be in The Lovely Bones, he's going to be in that The Haunted Mansion movie, and when Gosling directed his own movie, this is what he did:

Gosling was also the star of Young Hercules. Remember Young Hercules? That came out at the start of his career. Probably the first place most people in the mid-to-late 20s and early 30s (in the US) without The Disney Channel ever saw him, even if they didn't watch the show.

Personally if they do make another Ghost Rider movie I would rather they adapted the first story from the 2nd Ghost Rider series with Dan ketch. That story would make an EXCELLENT movie if they kept to its tones and story telling style. It could be done with a "Netflix Daredevil" vibe very easily.

BANNED

The bigger problem with Ghost Rider has to do with the degree to which Marvel is planning to acknowledge the existence of the actual supernatural in its cinematic universe. With Dr. Strange they could try to finesse it by going the "magic is really just a form of science so advanced we don't understand it" route, with technobabble allusions to "quantum energy manipulation." But that won't really work with Ghost Rider, a man who sold his soul to the devil and ended up as the host to a demon from hell. Unless they're willing to dive head first into that side of the equation, I don't see where G.R. really has a place in the MCU.

However you cut it, Ghost Rider is most likely way down at the bottom of Marvel Studio's priority list.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

He can't be any worse than Nic Cage.

BANNED

I don't even know why you're talking about with the Punisher, because nothing I said had anything to do with what you're saying there. I wasn't saying they'll never use the character again because he's been in bad movies. You know, just that he would be more of a problem to pull off on tv than the Punisher...because one is a normal (at least that's pretty much how he's always played now) guy that shoots guns, and the other is a guy with a flaming skull head who rides around on a flaming motorcycle.
    A flaming head and a flaming motorcycle would be relatively simple FX for a TV show, certainly not significantly more complex or expensive than some of the effects we see every week on Flash (or will see on Supergirl).

I don't think Ghost Rider has proven to have limited appeal in movies. Maybe that could be said if the character had been in a good movie that didn't do well, and didn't look bad from the get go, but he hasn't. The only thing the Ghost Rider movies show is that crappy looking movies that aren't any good turned out to not do well.
    As far as Hollywood is concerned, box office appeal is measured in ticket sales. Which was exactly my point regarding Punisher. Both characters were in multiple bad movies that did poorly at the box office. As a result, Punisher has been consigned to a supporting role in TV in his Marvel Studios' return. So to expect Ghost Rider, a considerably less popular character, to get a big budget feature film treatment with a major star in the lead is wishful thinking, pure and simple. If they didn't dive straight into another big budget feature for Punisher, there's no way they'd do it for Ghost Rider.

You do know that crime films and thrillers are genre films? Who really cares if he's been in anything that's like a superhero film? Ghost Rider really shouldn't be played like a superhero film anyways. And he's also been in Only God Forgives, Fracture, and Murder by Numbers; he was going to be in The Lovely Bones, he's going to be in that The Haunted Mansion movie, and when Gosling directed his own movie, this is what he did:
    Strictly speaking, every movie is a genre movie of some kind, so that's a pretty empty argument. The topic under address here is whether there's anything in his previous resume that suggests he has a particular affinity for films that would make starring in Ghost Rider attractive to him. The clear, simple answer is "no." He's never done a feature film of the kind that would indicate any real interest in starring in a movie about a motorcycle riding demon from hell with a flaming skull head. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be interested it. But your attempt to use his previous work as indication of an existing interest has no merit

Gosling was also the star of Young Hercules. Remember Young Hercules? That came out at the start of his career. Probably the first place most people in the mid-to-late 20s and early 30s (in the US) without The Disney Channel ever saw him, even if they didn't watch the show.
    He was a teenager when he did Young Hercules, at a time when he certainly didn't have the luxury to pick and choose roles the way he does now. If you're a 17- 18 year-old-actor with a sparse resume and someone offers you the lead in a spinoff from a successful TV series you take it. Personal preferences don't have much to do with it. That's a chance you can't afford to pass up. Clearly, that's no longer the case, as he now has the status to pick and choose roles that really interest him.
    Last edited by kalorama; 08-30-2015 at 12:14 PM.