Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Despite Rumors, DC Comics Stands Behind "DC You" Initiative Moving Forward

Even with some soft sales, the creative shakeup at the now Burbank-based publisher is here to stay.

Full article here.

It is definitely more profitable to publish more titles about batman chasing his tail. Altho many of the dc properties need reboots and revamps to be ready for the movies and tv.

This doesn't necessarily contradict the rumours. It could mean they actually are going to diversify the books more rather than having more things try to replicate the current Batgirl run. And then they can cancel books like Dr Fate which try to force that style where it doesn't work. DCYou being diverse in styles instead of "batgirling" as BleedingCool puts it.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Rebooting the whole line again this soon just makes them look really clueless. Ride it out, people.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    Rebooting the whole line again this soon just makes them look really clueless. Ride it out, people.
    DC You wan't another reboot, it's still the same universe and continuity started in 2011, DC You is just a new marketing term like Marvel Now! All New Marvel Now! and All New All Different Marvel! Just a marketing slogan.

Amazing Member

And here I am buying more DC series than I ever had. I personally love the the diversity in tone the new books lunched back in June brought. Now I'm reading Black Canary, Constantine The Hellblazer, Cyborg, Midnighter, Omega Men, and Prez on top of the usual stuff I get from DC (Batman, Justice League, Grayson, Catwoman, Gotham Academy, and of course Batgirl). Seriously my wallet hates them but I'm digging the DCYou.
    "So we stole a painting. So we turned a policeman into a toilet. Worse things happen every day in El Salvador." - Mr. Nobody, Doom Patrol Vol 2 #29

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

So it sounds like they saw what did and did not work and are now going to push more stuff that worked, drop what didn't and try more new things.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Hey whatever works for them. I'm happy because I'm saving a lot of money not buying these new titles, and dropping some of the ones I was reading.

I'm glad to hear this for two reasons, one being that it's only been about 3 months since this started so it seems crazy to drop it this soon but also I've really enjoyed the new series and changes that they've made to the DC Universe with the DC You. I'm reading a lot more DC titles and characters then I did before. Hopefully they can continue to make it work while also telling good stories.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Been reading comics since 1982 and I've seen lots of changes in those years. As with all changes I will drop some titles and pick up new ones, but with the drastic changes by DC and Marvel over the past few years my pull list for them has been getting smaller. So for me as an old buyer of their books it has backfired (really DC? a Robotic Bat Bunny?)....sorry, can't let that one go. As for Marvel, will not read Spider-Man until he's married to Mary Jane. I know, I know....let it go.

My current pull list consists of the following:
    DC - 5
    Vertigo - 2
    Marvel - 8 (Mostly Star Wars titles)
    Image - 22
    Dark Horse - 2
    Independent - 4

“Our goal is to constantly reinvent and constantly introduce new ideas and new concepts,” DiDio said. “If not, we’re just chasing our own tail. We’ve always got to be pushing the envelope.”
    Did not know I would ever hear something like this from DC. It's still no real information but better than the huge shake up that BC tried to reveal. They are saying what everyone already knew. It was completely clear that some comics would fail. It's still different than saying DC would return to the basics and stop what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    It could mean they actually are going to diversify the books more rather than having more things try to replicate the current Batgirl run. And then they can cancel books like Dr Fate which try to force that style where it doesn't work. DCYou being diverse in styles instead of "batgirling" as BleedingCool puts it.
    But did they "batgirl" that many? I really would like to hear which titles you and others would pick under the term because for me it were only Dr. Fate and Black Canary who were send into a similar direction. Starfire could count under it too but for me it has more similarities to Harley Quinn and the other on-goings have completely other genres.
    Or do you mean the overall new directions with "replicate"?

All-New Member

Default DC Fanfic

I think it would be awesome if DC launched a FanFic line outside of continuity. There are a thousand great story ideas being developed for FREE that they could draw from. Give the original authors credit or a shot at a script and put it together as a limited series. They have an entire fan community at their disposal.

Astonishing Member

Good to hear, whatever it might turn out to mean. Hopefully it's meaning that titles like "Midnighter" and "Omega Men" - which are meeting with great critical praise for their unusual qualities - will continue to be supported, or their strengths built on in other titles after they've run out their twelve issues. Similarly, would anyone blame them for not continueing to push the new Dr Fate or Doomed - titles that seem to have launched without making any impact whatsoever?

Oddly, Black Canary too doesn't seem to have had the "grab" I expected.

More horror-style books? Hellblazer and Gotham by Midnight are the only horror books right now (looks like they've given up on Dark Universe and Mystic U). That aside the DC You launch has been a vast improvement compared to the New 52 launch (at least in terms of content, if sales weren't a problem this thread wouldn't likely exist).

I really like that they don't change like Marvel does. Launching new #1 with a cheesy slogan every 6 months. People end up with "super duper newest than anything Marvel", but it ain't really friendly for new readers. DC You was a great move, and I'm glad to hear DiDio and Lee stand behind the decision with their feet on the ground.

These last 2 months i've read really good books. Diversification worked great. Hopefully it'll stay like that.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE