Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default What's your favorite Collected Edition comic book of 2015?

I'm going to list my top 5 and then pick my favorite out of those. Here's mine:

-Green Arrown Deluxe Edition by Lemire/Sorrentino--an outstanding new take on GA, with a whole new introduction of mythos and cast of characters. Sorrentino's art is amazing and Lemire's story is so fantastic and I'm not even a GA fan. It's one of the few books this past year that I absolutely HATED to put down. I just wanted to keep reading it and reading it all in one sitting, but I just couldn't. They totally knocked it out of the park. I also love how the actual cover is different than the dusk jacket too.
    -Lazarus Deluxe Edition--Beautifully drawn by Lark with a great concept and fresh story by Rucka. I was sucked in from the very first issue. Just a superb book.
    -East of West - The Apocalypse Year One Deluxe Edition--Hickman's writing is second to none. He's my current favorite writer and this book is like nothing I've ever read before. Part sci-fi, part spaghetti western, part apocalyptic. This one has it all and the artwork fits the book perfectly by Dragotta.
    -Five Ghosts--I felt like I was reading Indiana Jones with super powers. The art felt like a throwback to the John Buscema/Romita Sr. days and it's written quite well by Barbiere.
    -The Multiversity Deluxe Edition--What can you say about this book? It's written by Morrison with artwork by various top talent in today's comic book world, most notable Ivan Reis. It takes you everywhere and back again.

Basically, all of the above are all amazing and I could pick any one of them and be perfectly fine with it, however it comes down to THE best of collection of 2015:

It's very, VERY close but I have to go with East of West. It's a truly magnificent book. I absolutely love Hickman's writing and Dragotta's artwork fits the book so well, it's a perfect match. It has everything you want in a comic--a well crafted and woven story with sweet eye candy art and a cool cast of characters. I can't wait to get the next book in my hands.
    Last edited by The Whovian; 01-24-2016 at 02:46 PM.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Johnny Ryan's Angry Youth Comix. The cover design says it all!

Amazing Member

The Complete Eightball, for sure. I wanted it to be the Fantastic Four Omnibus V3 because of how long I'd been waiting, but I was disappointed Marvel didn't finish out the Kirby run (I know it's always been three Masterworks per omnibus, but Marvel fit Ditko's four MMs worth of Spider-Man into one.) I was on the verge of ordering FF Masterworks 7-10 before it was solicited; but now that it's out, I still may have to track down V10 with the last movie making a fourth volume questionable.

Amazing Member

Green Arrow Deluxe
    Batman Endgame
    Deadpool OHC vol.1-4
    were my favorite.

Without blinking, and because it is sumptuous, Frank Miller's Ronin Gallery Edition.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Without blinking, and because it is sumptuous, Frank Miller's Ronin Gallery Edition.
    I consider the AEs and GEs to be in a league of their own (they'd win every year if I considered them.) But I echo your nomination. Next level stuff.

copying my picks from the 100books in 2015 thread:
    My favourite story: Garth Ennis: the Boys

Honourable mentions: Preacher, Peter Pan by Loisel, Metabarons, Beauty by Kerascoet and Daredevil by Bendis, Squadron supreme, Dangerous Habits.

Least favourite story: New52 Dial H for hero.

Dishonourable mentions: Son of the Gun, Quest for the Time bird, Child of the storm, Marshal Law

My favourite publication: The Eternaut by Fantagraphics

Honourable mentions: The Goon LE, any Fantagraphics book I bought, Rip Kirby and Miss Fury by IDW

Least favourite publication: Dial H again

Dishonourable mentions: Spider Verse ohc, CoIE deluxe and The Complete Dick Tracy but I haven't read any of them yet, it's only based on first impressions. Also I really soured on regular ohc-s, even Image ones after reading a few Fantagraphics and IDW books.

Favourite writer this year: Garth Ennis
    Favourite artist: J. H. Williams III

Quote Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
    I consider the AEs and GEs to be in a league of their own (they'd win every year if I considered them.) But I echo your nomination. Next level stuff.
    I share your thoughts on the matter. But I can't think of a regular collected editions issued last year that has surprised me. Although I would like to pinpoint the good job done by Rebellion people to reprint 2000 AD back catalogue (The Mek Files comes to mind now).

Amazing Member

I think I'll go with Balakin's format for my voting.

Both my favourite collection and single book for the year are from Fantagraphics. They are doing some amazing work.

My favourite collected edition of the year is the Usagi Yojimbo Special Edition box set. Yeah, it might be softcover but I love the slip case, the connecting cover art for the two volumes and the color scheme for the collection. (It also helps that it is some of the best comics I've ever read).

As for the single book, it has to be The Eternaut. Amazingly designed and also a book I've been wanting to read for ages.

And it helps that both books are priced well and they are not asking for $100 for 500 pages, like a few other publishers are wont to do.

So, I'm going to be lame by saying that I only bought two collected editions in 2015 that also came out in 2015. Most of the collected editions I bought this past year were a few years old.

But the two I bought have been Contest of Champions (the reprinting of the three original issues, collected in one minitrade/oversized issue) and the book with an extra-long title and three colons, Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Shattered Empire TPB. It was pretty fun! I want more Journey to TFA books.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Marvel: Werewolf by Night and S.H.I.E.L.D. Omnibus
    DC: Golden Age Batman & Wonder Woman by Perez
    IDW: TMNT The Works vol.4
    Image: Lazarus vol.1
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Keeping it within 2015 -

Ill echo Lazarus Deluxe Edition

Ill also throw in the Scalped Deluxe Edition vol.1

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    -The Multiversity Deluxe Edition--What can you say about this book? It's written by Morrison with artwork by various top talent in today's comic book world, most notable Ivan Reis. It takes you everywhere and back again.
    I'm with you there, I love the multiverse map on the inside of the dust jacket.

I'd also like to add The Sandman Overture Deluxe Edition. One of the rare satisfying prequels with just about perfect artwork from JH Williams III, and great extras. (I love interview/process stuff more than random sketch pages.)
    Last edited by Lake Nowhere; 01-27-2016 at 10:44 AM.