Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: "Gargoyles" Co-Creator & "Archer" Artist Launch Marvel's "Starbrand & Nightmask"

Greg Weisman and artist Dominike Stanton introduce two of the Avengers' heaviest hitters to college life in a new ongoing series.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

I think i'm going to skip it, I have never found those characters in the Hickman's Avengers, interesting in any way.

It's awesome to see Marvel making real use of Greg Weisman while he's working in comics, especially considering his talent. I'm not even that much of a fan of Nightmask or Starbrand, but just having Weisman attached to it is enough to make it highly likely I'll check this out .

And it looks like Kong is finally going to make his 616 debut, and Sha Shan being back is cool .

BANNED

Now this is more like it! New concepts plus revinenting old ones is the marvel I want. So glad these two got a series in a world of spinoffs. Hope we see a few more "newer" characters get books in 2016.

Mighty Member

Unless these guys pick up a huge children's audience with this, beyond the speculators grabbing all the number ones, this won't last long. It has to have A or X in the title to sell. Is this tied in with some CN project?

I'm not quite feeling the art here... the stylization isn't my thing - the kind of Humberto Ramos -thing he's got going here.

The story sounds fun and intriguing tho' - I'm going to give the first issue a go, and see what Weisman can do.

I was a bit surprised seeing these two get their own series, but after reading the interview I am actually interested. I'm not sure if I'll get the monthly issues, though. I might just trade-wait.
    XMenGold XMenBlue GenX Cable Iceman AstonishingXMen UncannyAvengers SpectacularSpiderMan SecretWarriors DoctorStrange
    TheFlash Nightwing Supersons TeenTitans Aquaman Deathstroke WildStorm Saga Wicked+Divine Low Descender KillorbeKilled SeventoEternity

Sounds interesting will give the first issue a try.

Mighty Member

There's a lot of interesting things I like about this book. One of the things I like about the Eternals is the whole mythology around them. Starbrand and Nightmask have that, plus the added bonus of the ends and outs of it still being a mystery. In a lot of ways they're kind of like Eternals 2.0, on a way bigger scale and far more powerful, but not immortal.

The other thing I like about this book is that this is another set of characters that are more or less blank slates. There's no real status quo for them, so everything in this book is going to inform their character and development in a major way, and there's very little they can do to get a complaint that what they're doing is out of character because even if they find someway to do it, a lot can happen to change a character in 8 months, especially when you don't know them that well to begin with.

But mostly, I love Gargoyles. I love Gargoyles SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much.

BANNED

It's Greg Weisman so I'm in

All-New Member

Some pretty deep pulls in that list of supporting characters. That's pretty cool.

Fantastic Member

I like the idea. I also like that they acknowledge that both characters are pretty unformed at this point. They both had extremely interesting origins, then became wallpaper pretty quick until the beyonder fight. And I guess somehow everyone who died in the beyonder fight is coming back.

They had me at Greg Weisman. How are people not more excited about the creator of animated shows like Gargoyles, Young Justice, and Spectacular Spider-Man writing a Marvel book?

BANNED

It's nice that they're making use of characters that Hickman never really gave enough attention to. No room in my pull list for this book, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Unless these guys pick up a huge children's audience with this, beyond the speculators grabbing all the number ones, this won't last long. It has to have A or X in the title to sell. Is this tied in with some CN project?
    There is 3 A's in the title and a Sk, that's almost an X.
    Prepare the money stations because the cash trains are cooooming !