Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1848

Don't you mean "rest in peace"?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

The final issue of Spectacular Spider-Man takes place directly after the third issue of Ghost Spider
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-12-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Fantastic Member

More mocking for Spider-Gwen's name:

At this point I'm convinced Gwen switches names to Ghost Spider for no other reason than she really doesn't like being called Spider-Gwen. Don't see the point considering everyone already knows who she is, though.

Wasn't sure where I was going to place this seeing I'm going to comment about a MJ and a Gwen but I figure I'll just copy and paste to both MJ and Gwen threads.

I like to give a new writer a few issues to get a understanding of the writer's style and mindset to the characters and tone and what possibilities to expect. Now I'm a Multiverse Gwen and MJ fan and after a few issues (though I feel I'll really will get a better sense AFTER Spider-Geddon though) I'm going to write a few pros and cons I have.

PROS:
    As a MJ fan I liked this MJ. Strong, super caring for her friends, possible her and Gwen Goblin might have a relationship of some kind seeing hints of such of how both care about each other and in the end that helped save the day.

Many wrote they loved this version of MJ and wish it was Earth-65 version as well. While the writer might have to start of Earth-65 MJ based on the former writer's version that doesn't mean this writer will keep them static to one way and possible this mind set to MJ might be how she herself might head towards. This MJ version was written by current Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider writer thus the same element and importantly character developments might be heading her way. Thus a pro for the possibilities for this writer and 'MJ/Em Jay'.

I also enjoyed the Earth and it's characters this writer made all featured in just two issues yet immediately we are given a strong sense of who they are and charazations and backstory. Lactour was a slow burn yet possible due to the limited number (2-3 issues) to hold Earth-65 Gwen off from the Spider-Geddon event (allowing other Spider's to shine or such in that event) while showcasing her storytelling abilities this writer made a world I want to head back to someday.
    A world with a likable MJ, Gwen (who agian might have a forming relationship and I want to follow that seeing how much each cared about the other) and Peter (he might of been 'desperate' due to worried about Gwen and grief for Harry yet not unreasonable and I feel in the logical right). A world where Gwen was once a superhero and villain with now psychological issues/scars but also a world that we seen now doesn't have a Spider hero yet being like Sandman (or woman as the facial details to who killed 'Spider-man' of that Earth and caused Gwen Goblin to go nuts was hard to tell) and other rouges exist thus possible that this world Gwen might be called back to action yet mentally not sure if she can do so causing a hard choice (help save people's lives from super villains but risk fallen to madness agian or let people die but prevent a bigger 'monster' from coming possibly). Double so if involving the sand villain.

CONSs:
    I hate to write this but the writer made the other characters so well yet Earth-65 Gwen to be a jerk. Too much 'attitude' and lack of empathy. I get she just saw two of her friends being murdered and the feeling of helplessness while knowing other friends are possibly dying and rushing in desperation that leads to annoyance for a answer. All the time she comment 'where the really battle is' was wrong. Taking tips for original SPider-man being the friendly NEIGHBORHOOD Spider-man and a quote from the movie 'you can't focus on saving the world. Just one person at a time.' To the people of the world she is on that Gwen version is a universe to them. Her attitude and harsh emotions should of cooled and been more sympathetic.

I really got worried/upset when after being told 'Gwen Goblin's story by that world's Peter and Peter said 'you can help' INSTEAD of saying "why would I do that." response by Gwen she should of said 'how so? or "I would love too but I'm also worried for my friends in immediate dangers so maybe if I find a way to get to them first very quickly then come right back here to help with your problem and troubles..." Doing so would show she cares or react as a hero who sees a problem/hurt people should do. Instead the writer had her respond "why would I do that?" Why...HELLO GWEN you're meant to be a hero right? If that was Doc Ock or some villain who general has a super ego or not a hero that response would be common as villains lack care for others but themselves with a nasty attitude but not a hero response. Especially not a Spider hero response who cares for the 'common man/woman' vs just the big events.

The way Gwen reacted has me worried to how she will be presented in the coming issues of her own series by the writer. Strange as for this writer only her Earth-65 Gwen characterization I had a problem/worries with while every other character and storytelling I liked by her writings (including the Gwen Goblin/Gwen Stacy version she made when 'I got Better').

Possible like Miles just had it might of been better for this writer and Gwen to have her debut #1 outside of the event vs opening with and being forced to dance around this event with Earth-65 Gwen till issue 5 where the writer can do her own thing on Earth-65 (though agian I did love and grew fansatied by this Earth and it's characters she made so that was a big plus).

Thus love the new world/Earth presented and possibilities of that world and characters of it by the writer, hopeful to Em Jay possibilities in character development if the tone/vibe/charazations by this writer passes onto Earth-65 Em Jay of the recent MJ (and Gwen) version we gotten to know a bit from two issues alone, and yet worried for how Earth-65 Gwen might be showcased as a character in her own series down the road with hopes that she to will rise up or the writer with experience and going though the learning curves and self generating ideas might move in more positive directions (I don't think the writer wrote for a comic before so experience yet flesh blood/ideas is always a good thing to grow).

Also based on what I read that new world's Betty and Glory are young or mid age adults while it's Peter, Gwen, and MJ (and formally Harry) are teens (young teens or mid or close to adulthood I'm not sure).

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I really liked reading that analysis, AngelJD, thanks!

There is a lot of potential in this world. And I like the way the two issues fleshed things out - I read the Peni Parker issues of Edge of Spider-Verse and Geddon recently, and that world was just so truncated because they're not even full issues, so the length here felt really good. And I'd love to see Spider-Gwen coming back to this world, too.

I don't know if I thought Spider-Gwen was a jerk, but I did feel like something was "off" between her and Peter. The level of hostility just didn't feel earned by either of them. Maybe it was because the artist drew Peter looking so sympathetic, and not dark and mean at all. So Gwen's hostility felt weird.

I'm curious why you think the Gwen Goblin universe's Peter, MJ, Gwen, and Harry are late teens - they seem to have professional-type careers, so I was thinking they're in their mid 20s.

But then, I don't actually know how old Spider-Gwen is.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Marvel Rising gets a new five issue mini-series in March from Nilah Magruder and Roberto Di Salvo

https://www.newsarama.com/43121-marv...his-march.html
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-13-2018 at 01:42 PM.

I wonder if Gwen will actually show up in this series. The previous one was basically just a Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl crossover with a couple of the other Marvel Rising characters appearing in it. I really wanna see Gwen interact with them all, it would be really fun. Plus, Gwen has met Ms. Marvel already before, though whether that would get referenced is up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really liked reading that analysis, AngelJD, thanks!

There is a lot of potential in this world. And I like the way the two issues fleshed things out - I read the Peni Parker issues of Edge of Spider-Verse and Geddon recently, and that world was just so truncated because they're not even full issues, so the length here felt really good. And I'd love to see Spider-Gwen coming back to this world, too.

I don't know if I thought Spider-Gwen was a jerk, but I did feel like something was "off" between her and Peter. The level of hostility just didn't feel earned by either of them. Maybe it was because the artist drew Peter looking so sympathetic, and not dark and mean at all. So Gwen's hostility felt weird.

I'm curious why you think the Gwen Goblin universe's Peter, MJ, Gwen, and Harry are late teens - they seem to have professional-type careers, so I was thinking they're in their mid 20s.

But then, I don't actually know how old Spider-Gwen is.
    I'm guessing their in the late teens based on the art. Artwork can speak thousand words in one image yet also have a personal different meaning per person viewing it with some far from what the artist hoped for (though that might turn out to be a accidental good thing if what the viewer 'sees' pleases them more then what was meant to be). Art style sets a tone/vibes to the characters and series/Earths presented. Earth-65 was neon and punk rock cover looking in the past (which was commented by Miles when he went over there) and that was it's tone/vibe till the new artist team came in. Squirrel girl and other comedy or light hearted characters/series have a different tone vs the horror side of comics and so forth. Each meant to expressive an vibe, emotion or ideas to a viewer.

Looking at Betty and Glory versions to MJ plus how often many commented on Earth-65 Gwen looking young yet not that different from MJ, Peter, and Gwen Goblin has me feeling they are young themselves. Lastly the kid genius/talents are common in comicbooks (super smarts is a common 2nd born power for many heroes really) thus that same might apply (with Osborn recognising such on that world). Till they outright say a age number we can only do spec work to what we have. Lastly age and time movement in itself can get topsy turvy for all comics/characters in every series and logic so it's always hard to follow.

I don't think Earth-65 Gwen is a 'jerk' but she was just to hostal as you wrote that it gave that vibe for me. Many characters when writers want them looking/acting 'serous' strong or 'badass' can accidentally fall into this in attitude with one line of text (possibly not meant to be but gives for some that negative vibe) thus have to be careful of this common pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Marvel Rising gets a new five issue mini-series in March from Nilah Magruder and Roberto Di Salvo

https://www.newsarama.com/43121-marv...his-march.html
    Is this in the show continuity? I was really confused by the last comic...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    I'm guessing their in the late teens based on the art. Artwork can speak thousand words in one image yet also have a personal different meaning per person viewing it with some far from what the artist hoped for (though that might turn out to be a accidental good thing if what the viewer 'sees' pleases them more then what was meant to be). Art style sets a tone/vibes to the characters and series/Earths presented. Earth-65 was neon and punk rock cover looking in the past (which was commented by Miles when he went over there) and that was it's tone/vibe till the new artist team came in. Squirrel girl and other comedy or light hearted characters/series have a different tone vs the horror side of comics and so forth. Each meant to expressive an vibe, emotion or ideas to a viewer.

Looking at Betty and Glory versions to MJ plus how often many commented on Earth-65 Gwen looking young yet not that different from MJ, Peter, and Gwen Goblin has me feeling they are young themselves. Lastly the kid genius/talents are common in comicbooks (super smarts is a common 2nd born power for many heroes really) thus that same might apply (with Osborn recognising such on that world). Till they outright say a age number we can only do spec work to what we have. Lastly age and time movement in itself can get topsy turvy for all comics/characters in every series and logic so it's always hard to follow.

I don't think Earth-65 Gwen is a 'jerk' but she was just to hostal as you wrote that it gave that vibe for me. Many characters when writers want them looking/acting 'serous' strong or 'badass' can accidentally fall into this in attitude with one line of text (possibly not meant to be but gives for some that negative vibe) thus have to be careful of this common pit.
    I wasn't sure if the art was supposed to be intentionally close in age, or if that was a skill issue. I wasn't super impressed with the skill of the artist, though I did think they did some good work making the characters appealing.

I do think a "kid genius" trait is always going to be present in a Spider-Man comic - creator of the web shooters! - but I just feel like the length of adventures suggested implied they were in their mid 20s. Eh. It's all vaguely presented enough, and doesn't matter that much, I think. I was just curious about the age thing.

I am glad that McGuire, who I've loved in her October Daye series of urban fantasy novels, has some good comic writing skills as well, and look forward to reading more of this series!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope that it's just "Marvel Rising 1-5" and not six different titles for the same storyline like the last one (which I did mostly enjoy, but man, the release plan was horrible).

It felt like it was...an AU to the show. At least, that's what I concluded after watching the show and reading the comic.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The last comic was in 616 continuity, separate from the cartoon. We aren't sure what this one is but I would assume it would stick with the comic continuity, since that seems easier than trying to work around whatever the cartoon's continuity is doing.

Squirrel Girl is the way to tell. She has long hair in the cartoon but short hair in the comics. So based on that cover, it's 616. Unfortunately, Gwen's only on the cover, she's NOT in this comic. Miles was substituted for some reason.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I wasn't sure if the art was supposed to be intentionally close in age, or if that was a skill issue. I wasn't super impressed with the skill of the artist, though I did think they did some good work making the characters appealing.

I do think a "kid genius" trait is always going to be present in a Spider-Man comic - creator of the web shooters! - but I just feel like the length of adventures suggested implied they were in their mid 20s. Eh. It's all vaguely presented enough, and doesn't matter that much, I think. I was just curious about the age thing.

I am glad that McGuire, who I've loved in her October Daye series of urban fantasy novels, has some good comic writing skills as well, and look forward to reading more of this series!
    The alternate characters are likely in their mid 20's. Not only are they shown to have been in college before the story began but they also mentioned that Gwen's incident and Harry dying was 'years ago', which likely leads to them being mid 20's assuming that they were early 20's during the flashback segments. They also talk about Gwen being a teenager and act as if that makes her significantly younger than their Gwen Stacy. Hell, Betty even calls Gwen a 'baby' and MJ crudely justifies the change by saying she got really good skin treatment. The artstyle, however, makes this wonky since when Spider-Gwen and Gwen Goblin are side by side the former REALLY doesn't look different enough to elicit the constant cracks about Gwen being underage.

And yeah, Gwen's behavior in the issues is bizzare. Yes, she's rushing to get her friends back, but why does she act like Peter's blackmailing her? Peter outright tells her she can go find another genius if she thinks she can and the end of Issue 3 proves she needed Gwen Goblin to get her a way out, so it was mutually beneficial. Instead she acts like Peter put a gun to her head and that he could have helped her any time and just chose not to. If she really wanted to she could have just left instead of acting entitled to help that Peter could in no way give her.

Jason Latour's Seasons Beatings one-shot preview:
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ns-beatings-1/

Fantastic Member

Spider-Verse sequel to focus on Miles and Gwen romance:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...social_twitter

First, though, one of Pascal’s favorites, Gwen Stacy, will lead the way. The producer revealed that Sony’s upcoming Into the Spider-Verse sequel, directed by Joaquim Dos Santos (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Voltron) and written by David Callaham (Wonder Woman 1984, Zombieland 2), will be focused on Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy—and will explore a romance between the two, a thread from Lord’s original script that ultimately didn’t fit in Into the Spider-Verse.

Spider-Gwen’s transformation from love interest to friend and hero first may have had something to do with another Gwen Stacy advocate, producer Christina Steinberg, joining the Spider team. “I will say that Christina kept us honest,” Lord admits. “As five boys making a movie, it was really good to have another filmmaker there going, ‘I don't think you guys want to do it like this.’”

The Gwen and Miles adventure will serve as a launching pad for another Gwen-centric tale: Pascal also confirmed that a previously announced Spider-Women spin-off, written by Bek Smith, will feature Spider-Gwen and Cindy Moon (a.k.a. Silk) as well as Jessica Drew (a.k.a. Spider-Woman). Elsewhere at Sony, a live-action Silk film is reportedly already in early development.

Gwen's supposedly going to 'lead the way' for the Spider-Verse sequel and then she'll be the lead again in the all-female spin-off which involves her, Spider-Woman and Jessica Drew, apparently based on the Spider-Women crossover comic. It's a very Gwen slant for the movies, apparently. I'm not complaining, just hoping that Sony doesn't flub this.