Page 1 of 124 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Gwen Stacy Appreciation 2018

This is the place to go to share your appreciation for the true love of Peter Parker who did not deserve the fate she received in 1973.

Gwen was a strong, intelligent, and independent character who cared for the man under the mask rather than the mask itself. I hope Marvel eventually gets the common sense to bring her back to the land of the living in the Marvel Universe.

As we know, nothing is impossible when it comes to comics. Nobody ever thought they would ever see Bucky alive in comics again. Who do you think could handle bringing her back and how do you think it could happen?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is the place to go to share your appreciation for the true love of Peter Parker who did not deserve the fate she received in 1973.

Gwen was a strong, intelligent, and independent character who cared for the man under the mask rather than the mask itself. I hope Marvel eventually gets the common sense to bring her back to the land of the living in the Marvel Universe.

As we know, nothing is impossible when it comes to comics. Nobody ever thought they would ever see Bucky alive in comics again. Who do you think could handle bringing her back and how do you think it could happen?
    I too am a fan of Gwen's and would like to see her return. I also agree with your reasons. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

In OMD Mephisto ended Peter and MJ's relationship. Perhaps a benevolent superbeing, for example the Watcher, could set things right with Gwen.
    Last edited by dddaaavvv; 05-01-2014 at 02:05 AM.

BANNED

KEEP HER DEAD!

Other than Uncle Ben there has probably never been a more important death in all of comicdom in terms of impact. I'd hate to see that cheapened and lost. Think about how much Jean Grey's death mattered until it didn't anymore when they brought her back. Now the Dark Phoenix saga is a nice story but doesn't have near the emotional impact that is used to. I'd hate to see Gwen's death trivialized like that.

I don't really wanna see her back. How would you write that? I can't see a strong enough story in there.

Amazing Member

I love Gwen Stacy, she's a great character and personally I prefer her over Mary Jane, but.... Her death was such a massive moment in not only Spider-mans history but comic books in general.

Like others have said, bringing her back would cheapen such a legendary story.

As much as it annoys me to say it- keep her dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    KEEP HER DEAD!

Other than Uncle Ben there has probably never been a more important death in all of comicdom in terms of impact. I'd hate to see that cheapened and lost. Think about how much Jean Grey's death mattered until it didn't anymore when they brought her back. Now the Dark Phoenix saga is a nice story but doesn't have near the emotional impact that is used to. I'd hate to see Gwen's death trivialized like that.
    If Marvel had just let her rest in peace and be a tragedy for Peter to reflect on occasionally, like in Spider-man Blue, I would agree with you, but she has been brought back in so many ways, as a clone, as a character in alternate universes, in cartoons, in movies, unnecessarily I would point out, that IMHO her death has already been trivialized. She is being used as an enticement to lure people into these media. Also considering how many other characters have been resurrected and the fact that after 40+ years IMHO the emotional impact is already lost. Her death has been exploited more than respected.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    I don't really wanna see her back. How would you write that? I can't see a strong enough story in there.
    There are countless ways to write it. As I suggested, have a benevolent superbeing pull a OMD with Gwen would be lame but work! (Of course I would LOVE to see a more dramatic story!) The strong story could be in her and Peter rekindling their relationship and living out the life they should have had. This wouldn't be just one story, but a whole segment of Peter's life that could go on for years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tom91 View Post
    I love Gwen Stacy, she's a great character and personally I prefer her over Mary Jane, but.... Her death was such a massive moment in not only Spider-mans history but comic books in general.

Like others have said, bringing her back would cheapen such a legendary story.

As much as it annoys me to say it- keep her dead.
    Ditto of what I said to Jedi.

IMHO if they WERE to bring her back, this would be a great time. Between the return of Peter as Spider-man and the release of ASM 2 (movie), the franchise is in flux and having Gwen return would almost be appropriate.

BTW, I am in total agreement with you about Gwen. Great character and I prefer her over MJ, which is why I would like her to bring her back!
    Last edited by dddaaavvv; 05-01-2014 at 03:45 AM.

BANNED

I've never been a fan of 616 Gwen and always preferreed MJ to her. Stories like "Sins Past" have played a large part in me never wanting to see her show up. I'm sorry, but if she really loved Peter as much as fans claim, she wouldnt have slept with Norman Osborn under any circumstances.

Every other Gwen on the other hand has been nothing short of magnificent. Ultimate Gwen reminds me of some of my old gal pals who looked after me in school.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I've never been a fan of 616 Gwen and always preferreed MJ to her. Stories like "Sins Past" have played a large part in me never wanting to see her show up. I'm sorry, but if she really loved Peter as much as fans claim, she wouldnt have slept with Norman Osborn under any circumstances.

Every other Gwen on the other hand has been nothing short of magnificent. Ultimate Gwen reminds me of some of my old gal pals who looked after me in school.
    Sins Past sickened me too, but it needs to be remembered that she and Peter were broken up, she was in a very confused and vulnerable state and that Norman was a very charismatic and commanding man. Under those circumstances even strong women can find themselves swept up in the moment. In real life we see these powerful alpha males dominating women and the women just surrender to it. Peter's and Gwen's love was tumultuous and they both demonstrated insecurities as well as frailties.

We also have to remember that this was just a story and written long after the innocence of the Silver Age! Also if they were to use my benevolent OMD story idea, that whole Sins Past stuff could be erased!

Besides, Peter is a very forgiving person. He forgave MJ for rejecting his first marriage proposal, which is a REAL slap in the face and something I personally wouldn't forgive!

Plus the conversation would eventually come up: Peter: I'm really Spiderman, Gwen: I slept with Norman. Well I guess we all have our secrets!!

BANNED

Thanks for that very polite and understanding post dddda. Usually whenever I vent about Gwen I just get rammed in the face by a freight train of overemotion. I don't think my opinion on this version of Gwen will ever change, but I do see why so many fall for her, and hey, Blue is one of my favourite mini-series based around that era and the Gwen and Peter scenes are very touching.

I would love it if Sins Past could be retconned. JMS wanted to undo it as well...and frankly I could do with a proper continuity reshift instead of holding on to the old ways. It's worked for DC enough times, Marvel can settle for it too, we're all at an age where we can deal with it.

BANNED

Thanks for that very polite and understanding post dddda. Usually whenever I vent about Gwen I just get rammed in the face by a freight train of overemotion. I don't think my opinion on this version of Gwen will ever change, but I do see why so many fall for her, and hey, Blue is one of my favourite mini-series based around that era and the Gwen and Peter scenes are very touching.

I would love it if Sins Past could be retconned. JMS wanted to undo it as well...and frankly I could do with a proper continuity reshift instead of holding on to the old ways. It's worked for DC enough times, Marvel can settle for it too, we're all at an age where we can deal with it.
    You're welcome Cameron. Gwen is a subject that stirs a lot of passion in many of us. Your opinion is yours and you have a right to your feelings. Same applies to me.
    As I said, Sins Past CAN be retconned AND Gwen can be brought back just as easily as OMD retconned Peter and MJ's marriage. Just need the right writer (JMS?) to do it!

BANNED

You're right, the original plan for OMD was to undo not just Peter and MJ's marraige, but Gwen's death and most of the older continuity, with Harry overcoming his drug addiction and staying with MJ, thus Norman doesnt go nuts, thus doesnt become unhinjed, thus no Goblin, thus no murder (and probably no kinky sex with Gwen either), but Marvel didnt want to undo all those years of history.

At least put out one What If issue that covers all this.

BANNED

You're right, the original plan for OMD was to undo not just Peter and MJ's marraige, but Gwen's death and most of the older continuity, with Harry overcoming his drug addiction and staying with MJ, thus Norman doesnt go nuts, thus doesnt become unhinjed, thus no Goblin, thus no murder (and probably no kinky sex with Gwen either), but Marvel didnt want to undo all those years of history.

At least put out one What If issue that covers all this.
    I believe that two What If's were done regarding Gwen not dying. The one I remember, was WAY back and Spidey saved Gwen from dying, although it didn't have a happy ending, but that was written LONG before Sins Past, so naturally that was never addressed. A What If that would resolve all this Sins Past unpleasantness would give me a certain degree of satisfaction (if it has a happy ending!) but my preference would be to have it in Spider-man canon and have Peter and Gwen live out the life they were supposed to have. Before the "powers that be" reset the forum, I had addressed this. I wanted to make Gwen something of an Oracle, but also (given her science and police background help in his crimefighting in many other ways.

BANNED

Hey KurtW95,
    Just a personal thanks for this thread. I'm glad you revived Gwen's thread. She deserves it. Cheers.