Page 88 of 124 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1848

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I object to that VERY strongly.
    I will like to understand why you believe so. Because all that I think of Og Gwen is that she is spiderman greatest loss and regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Spider-Gwen is objectively a far more compelling character than the original Gwen anyway.
    Well, she's definitely a more developed character then the original Gwen was, but that's been true for every Gwen variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I will like to understand why you believe so. Because all that I think of Og Gwen is that she is spiderman greatest loss and regret.
    She was a charming science student who cared deeply for Peter Parker, loved her dad, wouldn't get pushed around, and was loyal to a fault. Spider-Gwen is a wacky hipster millennial with a band.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Lightbulb

She was a charming science student who cared deeply for Peter Parker, loved her dad, wouldn't get pushed around, and was loyal to a fault. Spider-Gwen is a wacky hipster millennial with a band.
    And spider powers. I often think that is what makes her so popular (plus the outfit). But in all seriousness. Spider-Gwen is an inverse or subversion of a trope; a perennial victim becomes an empowered hero.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    And spider powers. I often think that is what makes her so popular (plus the outfit). But in all seriousness. Spider-Gwen is an inverse or subversion of a trope; a perennial victim becomes an empowered hero.
    I don't like the idea of the original Gwen being a perennial victim, but unfortunately the first major stunt death has stuck for this long. Even though Conway really just got rid of her because he was a young guy who found her boring and thought the party girl was hotter.

I don't like the idea of the original Gwen being a perennial victim, but unfortunately the first major stunt death has stuck for this long. Even though Conway really just got rid of her because he was a young guy who found her boring and thought the party girl was hotter.
    You do know that John Romita Sr. and Roy Thomas had to approve killing Gwen, right? Conway couldn't do such a thing unilaterally.

(And I know Stan likes to say they did it while he wasn't around the office, but...)

Of course, adaptations nowadays combine them. The one in Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't fleshed out much, but did keep the AU aspect - however, it was the same universe Miles was from. The current Spider-Man cartoon has both Miles and Gwen native to Peter's world, and is probably closer to the classic Gwen. She did get her powers though - and didn't bother keeping a secret identity, something that now matches the comics. Marvel Rising on the other hand is faithful to the Spider-Gwen comics completely. The police think she's a villain, the Mary Janes exist. However, she's not from an alternate universe.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Marvel Rising on the other hand is faithful to the Spider-Gwen comics completely. The police think she's a villain, the Mary Janes exist. However, she's not from an alternate universe.
    She also seems like she has an attitude that's much more in-line with Earth-65 Gwen.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #121 Jun 1973
    "The Night Gwen Stacy Died"
    In the previous issue Harry Osborn had taken LSD, which made him fall into a clinical Psychosis.
    This issue begins with Peter as Spider-Man now watching through their apartment window as Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson are at Harry's bedside.
    The Osborn's family doctor Ray tells Gwen and Mary Jane that Harry has been taking drugs again.
    He gives Harry a shot of Thorazine, a tranquilizer to offset the effect of LSD. S
    Spider-Man decides to do a quick change on the rooftop and go inside where he is then confronted by Norman Osborn.

Norman blames Peter for what has happened to Harry and later in this issue cracks under pressure returning to the Green Goblin persona.

Peter on his way to the Daily Bugle building feels a cold coming on from the change of climate between Montreal and New York.
    While talking to Robbie Robertson at the Bugle dropping off some pictures of the Hulk from his Montreal assignment,
    J. Jonah Jameson walks in and tells Robertson about Parker to "get this disease ridden menace out of my building.
    Before Peter leaves he points out that Robbie should have Jameson send him a bonus check for about two hundred dollars for the pictures.

When Norman leaves his son's bedside he begins to think how he has failed him as a father.
    Then he starts to hallucinate and sees his enemy Spider-Man coming at him, soon he flees from the apartment out into the street until he gets to Manhattan's lower east side.

There in a place he had almost forgotten lies his Green Goblin paraphernalia. Then after returning to the Goblin persona, he decides to kidnap Gwen.

She is standing at the window of Peter and Harry's apartment wishing there was some way she could do to help Harry when the Green Goblin comes flying into view.

When Spider-Man finally swings back to the apartment all he finds is a pumpkin lantern and satchel left behind by the Green Goblin.
    He soon realizes that Gwen has been kidnapped and that he must rely on his Spider-Sense to lead him to where the Goblin is.
    His Spider-Sense leads him to the George Washington Bridge as it is Norman Osborn's favorite President where he spots the Green Goblin standing next to a motionless Gwen Stacy.

At the bridge Spider-Man attempts to get to Gwen but must fight the Goblin with everything he has.

Both Spider-Man and the Goblin fight until the Goblin swoops down knocking Gwen off the side of the bridge.

Spider-Man then goes to save her and as his webbing catches her, her neck breaks and she dies instantly.
    Spider-Man praises himself as he cradles the lifeless body of Gwen until he realizes that she is dead.
    The Goblin taunts him saying that "She was dead before your webbing reached her! A fall from that height would kill anyone before they struck the ground".

Holding the lifeless body of Gwen in one arm Spider-Man raises his fist into the air vowing to destroy and make the Goblin pay for the death of the woman he loved.

Script writer Gerry Conway is remembered by many as "the writer who killed Gwen" (even though obviously Stan Lee himself okayed a story of this significance).
    Gil Kane provides the unforgettable pencils, with inks by John Romita Sr. and Tony Mortellaro.

Latour wrote and drew a short story, non-canon, where she meets a certain teenage team of ninjas...

https://twitter.com/jasonlatour/stat...813578240?s=21
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well, it seems the new title Spider-Gwen A.K.A. Ghost Spider is losing the "A.K.A." and will be named Spider-Gwen Ghost-Spider.. Now we just need it to drop the "Ghost-Spider" part

https://www.newsarama.com/41236-spid...-its-name.html

We've known that the whole time - the logo was shown at SDCC a couple of days before the solicits were released.

Chapter Seven of Entwined Destines (my story that features an AU of Spider-ManxGhost Spider) posted -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1276833...wined-Destines

If so inclined, enjoy
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Just wanted to post a reminder that August 13, 2018 (which is today for some people reading this post as soon as it's written) on Disney XD is "Marvel Rising: Initiation" shorts that will feature "Ghost-Spider/Gwen Stacy" of that animated universe.

Just wanted to post it as it seemed to me that Disney/Marvel isn't advertising/marketing the show. Had some youtube videos but not alot and on the Channel it will be playing on I had not seen a commercial ad for it (then agian I don't normal watch that channel mostly due to that most new shows now have be transferred over to the main "Disney Channel" while many speculate that Disney XD is a dead sub-channel now.
    I was wondering when the show would air not seeing any real ads and by chance upon looking up saw the release date and where.

To me this lack of marketing will ensure that the characters featured on the show will not earn any new fanbase blood as many who don't follow the comics but might watch TV will not even know of the show and various characters existence. If feels like they had ambition for the show in the beginning but then decided not to widely support and market it. Many reviewers seem favorable to the characters and show but even if the show is fantastic by everybody that finds and watches it the high numbers I feel might not be attained as most will still not know it exists. Thus wanted to make sure people knew here and reminded.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    (even though obviously Stan Lee himself okayed a story of this significance).
    Except this is something Stan has denied for decades and I’m inclined to believe him over Conway. With regard to the story itself, I think it may be the most overrated comic book story of the 20th century. People tend to look at things like they were written with some sort of profound message when this was merely a way of getting rid of a character Conway didn’t like. Plus, it created the precedent for stunt deaths and the teasing of stunt deaths as a marketing ploy.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-12-2018 at 11:57 PM.