Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That has got to be the silliest origin for a codename I have ever seen, and I read a lot of Superhero comics .
    I mean, they picked Avengers because it sounded cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I mean, they picked Avengers because it sounded cool.
    And Janet Van Dyne has a knack for names .

But that still fits better then Ghost Spider .

That has got to be the silliest origin for a codename I have ever seen, and I read a lot of Superhero comics .
    Feels like a very "Gwen" thing to do though. "Hey, that sounds kinda cool. I'm running with it!"

She doesn't seem to think things through very much and just goes with the moment.....unless she's giving some big self-important pontificating speech anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Feels like a very "Gwen" thing to do though. "Hey, that sounds kinda cool. I'm running with it!"

She doesn't seem to think things through very much and just goes with the moment.....unless she's giving some big self-important pontificating speech anyway.
    Well yeah, she is kind of a spontaneous and verbose hot mess .

Also kind of appropriate for how tacked on this Ghost Spider name feels...

And Janet Van Dyne has a knack for names .

But that still fits better then Ghost Spider .
    Janet of course also named the Vision.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

That and I question the point. What, is Gwen gonna swing around town screaming that her name's now Ghost Spider and the should knock it off with the Spider-Gwen ****? We know she doesn't like Spider-Gwen, but it's not like she can affect what people call her at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    That and I question the point. What, is Gwen gonna swing around town screaming that her name's now Ghost Spider and the should knock it off with the Spider-Gwen ****? We know she doesn't like Spider-Gwen, but it's not like she can affect what people call her at this point.
    Perhaps or hopefully Gwen will understand this and ask just her close friends and family to call her the new name she came up with. Later maybe she might have a interview which doing so she might mentions her trying a new name stating how it just felt strange for her with people calling her by her first name and adding a 'Spider-' tacked onto it and would prefer a fuller codename for her representation in media and other forms and possible bring up other known heroes (for the very few possible known on her world) like Samantha isn't called Captain Samantha but Captain America or just Cap for some.

https://twitter.com/HendoArt/status/1075842779765329921

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...e-spider-verse

“Are ballet slippers what I would have done? Probably not. But what I like about it is that by making Gwen a ballet dancer, it gives the opportunity to make her move differently than the other Spider heroes. More gracefully and controlled. You get just enough information to set up her character just from how she moves – plus I like the juxtaposition with her ballet dancing and the punk band. It instantly conjures up a story that exists around the corner, and lives in the imagination."

“In the comics, Gwen is always wrestling with expectations. And I think dance would very much fall in line with something her dad, being a Police Captain and a more traditional guy in someways, would push Gwen towards once he discovered her love of music. It just seems organic that from there she ends up in the band, trying to find a way into music that is her own. A double life before her double life? A triple life? Or maybe her mom Helen was a dancer? I like the questions it gets you to ask."

WE NEED BALLET SHOES, McGUIRE!

ARE YOU PRO OR ANTI BALLET SHOES?! CIVIL WAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    https://twitter.com/HendoArt/status/1075842779765329921

https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...e-spider-verse

“Are ballet slippers what I would have done? Probably not. But what I like about it is that by making Gwen a ballet dancer, it gives the opportunity to make her move differently than the other Spider heroes. More gracefully and controlled. You get just enough information to set up her character just from how she moves – plus I like the juxtaposition with her ballet dancing and the punk band. It instantly conjures up a story that exists around the corner, and lives in the imagination."

“In the comics, Gwen is always wrestling with expectations. And I think dance would very much fall in line with something her dad, being a Police Captain and a more traditional guy in someways, would push Gwen towards once he discovered her love of music. It just seems organic that from there she ends up in the band, trying to find a way into music that is her own. A double life before her double life? A triple life? Or maybe her mom Helen was a dancer? I like the questions it gets you to ask."

WE NEED BALLET SHOES, McGUIRE!

ARE YOU PRO OR ANTI BALLET SHOES?! CIVIL WAR!
    I don't know if that would fit the comic version since I've always seen her, per Latour, as pretty rough and spontaneous both personally and as a hero, so I'm not sure if the ballet and dance aspect would work barring a character revamp.

(Reminds me of Barbara Gordon though).

Fantastic Member

Wouldn't fit her character. Movie Gwen tells Miles that she can fight 'with the grace of a trained dancer', so she clearly did get lessons. Comics Gwen, by contrast, is VERY amateurish. The wiki and her bio note that she learned to fight by watching kung-fu movies and both Murderdock and Evil Cindy mock her for being unable to even throw a proper punch:

Contrast to Movie Gwen who's FAR more adept in combat despite her young age and never comes across as someone who relies purely on her powers. For Comics Gwen to get ballet shoes and be in character she should've done some lessons or gotten some training in-between Spider-Gwen and Ghost Spider.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So I am thinking of doing a Valentine’s Day themed CYOA fanfic for Peter/Spider-Man with about eight different love interests to meet, either in their civilian or superhero personas, so I was just wondering what sorts of things fans of Peter/Gwen might want to see in a possible date or romantic setting? Just an experiment I might be trying as a Spider-Man fan...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    So I am thinking of doing a Valentine’s Day themed CYOA fanfic for Peter/Spider-Man with about eight different love interests to meet, either in their civilian or superhero personas, so I was just wondering what sorts of things fans of Peter/Gwen might want to see in a possible date or romantic setting? Just an experiment I might be trying as a Spider-Man fan...
    The funny thing is you will be starting from scratch. There is next to nothing about Peter and Gwen dating because Stan Lee and John Romita never reallly showed them at dates and at romantic get-togethers.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The funny thing is you will be starting from scratch. There is next to nothing about Peter and Gwen dating because Stan Lee and John Romita never reallly showed them at dates and at romantic get-togethers.
    That’s surprising since I know Spider-Man Blue I think showed a date between them... though I might be wrong... Gwen actually has brought the core idea together since I thought about Gwen both in her civilian and superhero personalities and realising that I wanted to play with both of them so I hit on the choice of Peter being either himself by day in a cafe and having the chance to date the girls by themselves or as Spider-Man by night in the same cafe dating them in their superhero personalities...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    That’s surprising since I know Spider-Man Blue I think showed a date between them... though I might be wrong...
    All that comic did was retcon in the buildup and lead to the romance that never existed in the comics. As Mark Ginocchio pointed out:

After recently re-reading a number of issues going back to Gwen’s first appearance in ASM #31, my one complaint about the whole development of their relationship is the whole thing came across as a little too out of nowhere for me. Not that there weren’t flirtations there...Point being that while Peter and Gwen went on to have a very passionate romance in the pages of ASM, I was initially stunned when I was rereading these earlier issues and in one comic Gwen and Peter were just flirting and by ASM #59, Gwen is throwing her arms around him and smooching him in front of her father. Then two issues later, she’s so beside herself on what she thinks Peter has done to her father, that she’s absolutely depressed and despondent until her father clears up the misunderstanding and Peter is absolved of any potential wrong-doing. Despite the fact that Stan had been teasing this romance for dozens of issues, there still wasn’t any real build from "occasional interaction at school" to "going steady."

All Spider-Man Blue did was put int hat build-up. But it never showed any dates between them. Peter and Gwen in the comics had a chaste relationship. One issue with Lee and Romita had them chaperoned. They never had sex as Peter told MJ once (Mary Jane is the girl he lost his virginity to). Because that never happened in their relationship. There's no love-banter or anything between Peter and Gwen. Not in the classic comics. Only thing I can suggest is this, Peter's nickname for her is "Gwendy". He hardly ever calls her that after her death. It's just Gwen but when she was alive, his pet name for her was Gwendy...and occassionally call her by full name Gwendolyn (which I found creepy...I mean she calls herself Gwen for the obvious reason that her full name is stupid). Gwendy also used to call Peter, "Man o'Mine"...yeah Stan Lee's not got the best ear for dialogue. I mean his MJ's lingo is often made fun off but his writing of Peter and Gwen has dated even worse.

Gwen actually has brought the core idea together since I thought about Gwen both in her civilian and superhero personalities and realising that I wanted to play with both of them so I hit on the choice of Peter being either himself by day in a cafe and having the chance to date the girls by themselves or as Spider-Man by night in the same cafe dating them in their superhero personalities...
    Uhhh...that's a bad idea. The thing, is Gwen Stacy, Peter's dead girlfriend who died...Is a Completely Different Character From SPIDER-GWEN. I mean sorry for being harsh, but the fact is Spider-Gwen is a teenager. She has met the adult 616 Peter, and there is no romantic tension between them. Peter is not a creep.

The Gwen Stacy Peter dated and loved in the comics is the college girl daughter of cop, who loved Peter but hated Spider-Man and died without knowing his identity.

...Having said that, it's fanfiction, it's your story, go ahead. But since you are asking us comics' liking guys, just pointing out some problems in that idea.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 12-27-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: change

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    ....Uhhh...that's a bad idea. The thing, is Gwen Stacy, Peter's dead girlfriend who died...Is a Completely Different Character From SPIDER-GWEN. I mean sorry for being harsh, but the fact is Spider-Gwen is a teenager. She has met the adult 616 Peter, and there is no romantic tension between them. Peter is not a creep.

The Gwen Stacy Peter dated and loved in the comics is the college girl daughter of cop, who loved Peter but hated Spider-Man and died without knowing his identity....
    The other poster can just place the story in an AU (alternant universe) setting so none of the above should be a problem. The beauty of there being a Spiderverse is infinite possibilities.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-27-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."