Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Good ideas for Gwen. I could just imagine her having to work under someone like Jean DeWolff (another character in dire need of revival), especially given Jean's professional relationship with Peter being perhaps intrusive on her personal relationship with Peter

Amazing Member

I like to think that sins past never happened! Haha!

It's funny because I don't really understand why people (including myself) feel so strongly about the whole Gwen character and stories. There's such a mystique around the character. Is it simply because she died? I think it might be.

If they were going to bring Gwen back then it would simply have to be now. By the way, Emma Stone played Gwen perfectly in the movie!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Good ideas for Gwen. I could just imagine her having to work under someone like Jean DeWolff (another character in dire need of revival), especially given Jean's professional relationship with Peter being perhaps intrusive on her personal relationship with Peter
    Great idea! Jeanne and Gwen could work together to do the detective and forensic work for Spidey's crimefighting. Let ASM handle all the super villain stories, and let's call it CSI:Spiderman and have Gwen and Jeanne handle all the police work to assist Spidey in solving crimes! I can see a lot of excitement and drama in that and those two working together would be a formidable pair, so all the concern about Spidey trying to protect those he loved wouldn't be an issue.

BANNED

Cagney and Stacy!

(ok, you might wanna retcon it so Cagney is a never heard middle name for Jean, but...oh just shoot me for that one...)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tom91 View Post
    I like to think that sins past never happened! Haha!

It's funny because I don't really understand why people (including myself) feel so strongly about the whole Gwen character and stories. There's such a mystique around the character. Is it simply because she died? I think it might be.

If they were going to bring Gwen back then it would simply have to be now. By the way, Emma Stone played Gwen perfectly in the movie!
    The big thing about her death is that it just wasn't done back then. The hero ALWAYS saves the damsel in distress in the nick of time, especially, if it's his love interest. It was the first time that a main love interest died that shocked everyone. It would be like Superman not saving Lois Lane. I actually read #121 first hand and as a teenager, her death was quite traumatic. I reread #121 and I STILL get a little shiver in my spine!

I agree, this would be a great time to bring back Gwen. In the wake of the movie and Peter coming back as Spidey, it's a great opportunity.

Someone I would have liked to have seen as Gwen would be Ashley Greene with blue contacts. Emma's smokey voice just didn't sit right with me, but that's just me!
    Last edited by dddaaavvv; 05-01-2014 at 08:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cameron samurai View Post
    cagney and stacy!

(ok, you might wanna retcon it so cagney is a never heard middle name for jean, but...oh just shoot me for that one...)
    groan!!! Lol

Actually, what do you think of Stacy and Dewolfe, or Parker and Dewolfe (because I want Gwen and Peter to get married)?
    Last edited by dddaaavvv; 05-01-2014 at 09:06 AM.

BANNED

The very first Gwen Stacy story I ever read as a kid was indeed "The Night Gwen Stacy Died", everything else I sort of picked up gradually over time collecting as a teen, so perhaps that explains my indifference to the classic version, even if I am open to fresh approaches

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dddaaavvv View Post

The big thing about her death is that it just wasn't done back then. The hero ALWAYS saves the damsel in distress in the nick of time, especially, if it's his love interest. It was the first time that a main love interest died that shocked everyone. It would be like Superman not saving Lois Lane. I actually read #121 first hand and as a teenager, her death was quite traumatic. I reread #121 and I STILL get a little shiver in my spine!

I agree, this would be a great time to bring back Gwen. In the wake of the movie and Peter coming back as Spidey, it's a great opportunity.

Someone I would have liked to have seen as Gwen would be Ashley Greene with blue contacts. Emma's smokey voice just didn't sit right with me, but that's just me!
    Tell me about it! I'm 23 and I read #121 knowing what was going to happen and even then it had an effect on me! Ha!

Maybe that's why there's such an aura around her character. I miss gwen!

Ditto of what I said to Jedi.

IMHO if they WERE to bring her back, this would be a great time. Between the return of Peter as Spider-man and the release of ASM 2 (movie), the franchise is in flux and having Gwen return would almost be appropriate.

BTW, I am in total agreement with you about Gwen. Great character and I prefer her over MJ, which is why I would like her to bring her back!
    Sadly spoilers:
    it is confirmed that they kill her off in TASM 2
    end of spoilers so I will not be seeing it. But I am still holding off on the of chance that they spoilers:
    go the Ultimate route and bring her back in the movies.
    end of spoilers Though it seems unlikely, so I will not support it. Maybe if they bring her back in the comics spoilers:
    the movies will follow.
    end of spoilers

Sins Past was an atrocity, and even the writer agrees. It was completely out of character and would be easy to retcon. For example: Jackal could have the real Gwen and made one to be seduced by Norman and discredit her character, and one to die. And then it could be revealed that he has the real Gwen in stasis as a cloning template.

BANNED

The very first Gwen Stacy story I ever read as a kid was indeed "The Night Gwen Stacy Died", everything else I sort of picked up gradually over time collecting as a teen, so perhaps that explains my indifference to the classic version, even if I am open to fresh approaches
    It does make a difference. If you were to have read from the beginning (or at least when Gwen was introduced) and saw their romance developing, you can't help but develop an attachment to the characters. You see the struggles, the fights, the reconciliations as well as the humor and you become emotionally invested in it. You project ahead as to how things might develop, what you hope happens and what you expect to happen and then to see it all disintegrate with her death you vicariously go through the pain of the character. Although you know it's just a comic, it still affects you. You actually feel the loss and go through the grieving. Even Capt. Stacy's death was a similar shock. Although he wasn't a main character, he was a significant secondary character, which amplifies your empathy for the main characters affected by his death and invests you even more emotionally. If you read regularly for any length of time you almost end up developing an emotional addiction to the story. However the story ends you end up feeling an emotional response whether good or bad. It's some wild psychological stuff!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Maybe if they bring her back in the comics spoilers:
    the movies will follow.
    end of spoilers
    There's a good chance

spoilers:
    ..That Stone could come back and film flashbacks. Keep in mind there were MJ scenes filmed for ASM II where she and Gwen meet. I'm not sure if they are keeping MJ's actress though, but if not, Stone will probably be back for sequences with the new actress. The movies could go the clone route, but really, that's never gone over well in the books
    end of spoilers

It's some wild psychological stuff!!
    I know all too well what focusing too emotionally on a specifc comic book development can do to the mind. The events of OMD led to a mental breakdown I sustained over a three year period and it took me a year to recover from it. I've been bitter about the regular books ever since.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 05-01-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Maybe if they bring her back in the comics spoilers:
    the movies will follow.
    end of spoilers
    Does not work that way usually. Comic book movies tend to take a lot of their inspiration from old classic storylines rather than recent ones. There are very few exceptions, like how the next Avengers movie is at least named after a 2013 storyline.

BANNED

Sins Past was an atrocity, and even the writer agrees. It was completely out of character and would be easy to retcon. For example: Jackal could have the real Gwen and made one to be seduced by Norman and discredit her character, and one to die. And then it could be revealed that he has the real Gwen in stasis as a cloning template.
    That story, ANY story would work for me as long as it brings back Gwen! One issue would be that she would still be nineteen years old while everyone else had aged ten years. Her life experience and emotional maturity would be stunted and that might be difficult to resolve, but I'm sure SOME way could be found to bring her back ten years older to make her fit with Peter.

Amazing Member

There's a good chance

spoilers:
    ..That Stone could come back and film flashbacks. Keep in mind there were MJ scenes filmed for ASM II where she and Gwen meet. I'm not sure if they are keeping MJ's actress though, but if not, Stone will probably be back for sequences with the new actress. The movies could go the clone route, but really, that's never gone over well in the books
    end of spoilers

I know all too well what focusing too emotionally on a specifc comic book development can do to the mind. The events of OMD led to a mental breakdown I sustained over a three year period and it took me a year to recover from it. I've been bitter about the regular books ever since.
    What does OMD stand for?

And are you being serious about the breakdown?