Page 47 of 124 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Other View Post
    Does Spider-Gwen vol. 2 come out this month?
    I believe vol. 2 comes out on Oct 14th

As for the Variants and many different fanart NOT drawing Gwen of Earth-65 I find for many artists that is the case. Many Gwen's Stacys whenever there is a alternate world is usually presented looking like 616 Gwen Stacy. There have been a few times that wasn't the case such as Ultimate Gwen Stacy from 1610, Spectacular Spider-Man animated series had her looking very differently (and in my option better and more individual style before her makeover) Gwen Stacy, and Earth-65 Spider-Gwen looks different as well.
    As one person wrote majority who grew up and became artists only really knew one version of Gwen Stacy and that is the 616 version. However now that is not the case and for a job with the skills for details are needed I hope that such considerations would be made when they draw Spider-Gwen as 616 Gwen isn't 65 Gwen at all but different person. I love seeing fanarts and variants of Spider-Gwen that is ACTUALLY Spider-Gwen herself. The punk rock drummer world, grunge, serous nature and tones, her hair and body, and even a more serous expression vs that same old pretty smile. While Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 is more grunge and less traditional pin up she still beautiful and cool in her own ways and wish that perhaps the artists could capture that tone of both serous, dirty, short messy silk hair, less pin up body yet still beautiful despite it all appearance.

But even so many artists like to give sex appeal in the works. Sex sells and gets knowledge more from viewers thus it's not uncommon to see many characters get the changes in appearance treatment in fanarts and official stuff alike.

However if Spider-Gwen does well and stands the test of time and quality then future artists can grow up reading and watching her and be influenced by her. Those artists when a person says "Gwen Stacy" will see in their mind's eye this version of Gwen Stacy and thus would make her in their artwork.

I do find some variants and some fanart that gets at least one aspect of her world or this character right once in a while and I applaud that detail captured.

Some fanarts I found such as (limited to only show 3 only in a post but I did find more):

BANNED

how hard is it to believe that Spider-Gwen is drawn that way because 616 Gwen Stacy has been ingrained into many comic fans minds and spider-gwen has only been in 6 issues(more if ya wanna count the spider-verse event and the spider-verse secret wars book but those weren't all that focused around her)

it doesn't help that the feud between frank cho and robbi rodriguez has created a new version of the character Outraged Spider-Gwen(Offended By Everything with the desire to censor everything)that's on display wherever frank cho goes and has been spreading like fire

so for some they associate the character of spider-gwen now with whining and unneeded censorship

stupid but what can ya do?
    Last edited by Chrysalis_Changling; 10-02-2015 at 06:40 PM.

BANNED

Call the outrage thing stupid and continue to point out that Brooks may be able to draw a pair of boobs, but he obviously can't draw a character.

They don't gotta change their ways, that's fine, but I don't plan on giving them points for getting it wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Call the outrage thing stupid and continue to point out that Brooks may be able to draw a pair of boobs, but he obviously can't draw a character.

They don't gotta change their ways, that's fine, but I don't plan on giving them points for getting it wrong.
    then by that account how many artists have gotten spider-gwen right? because to me it looks like none of them really draw her as a messy haired punk rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    how hard is it to believe that Spider-Gwen is drawn that way because 616 Gwen Stacy has been ingrained into many comic fans minds and spider-gwen has only been in 6 issues(more if ya wanna count the spider-verse event and the spider-verse secret wars book but those weren't all that focused around her)

it doesn't help that the feud between frank cho and robbi rodriguez has created a new version of the character Outraged Spider-Gwen(Offended By Everything with the desire to censor everything)that's on display wherever frank cho goes and has been spreading like fire

so for some they associate the character of spider-gwen now with whining and unneeded censorship

stupid but what can ya do?
    Agreed.

Many of the talents that work or is employed for Marvel who grew up with their comics grew up with this one version of Gwen Stacy (616) thus she is the definitive version and mental image for them. This is understandable as the versions that we are first introduced to and have left a impact with us becomes a placeholder for what I like to called the "mind's eye" or ingrained (which is a better term for it). Now for me personally MY first Gwen Stacy that I was introduced to and left a impact on me was the Spectacular Spider-Man animated version (the adorable nerd version that I loved) thus she was my first version and longest time was a placeholder. For many non-comicbook fans or historian that follows only the movies Emma Stone Gwen Stacy is the placeholder and image they and many others see when you say the name. This Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 has left her own impact for many people (including myself) and combination of the potential and the punk rock new world and how characters can be very different this Gwen has started to become the one I see and think about when the name is stated. I have to use logic and knowledge of all of the possible Gwen Stacys to determine which Gwen is being referenced by a person (usually 616 or 65 at this point in time but should she be a part of the MCU then another possible important and possible impact Gwen will be added to the mix and equation).

I hope that this series, the character, and everything in between and backstage goes perfectly fine and turns out great in the long run. For that to happen many things from the creative team(s) is needed plus other factors that might not be foreseen to happen or not happen. The same applies to all new characters really (even old legendary beloved characters can fall far if a series of bad ideas, implementations, story arcs, backstage disasters, art, and more). I'm sure every character if they live long enough will have the misfortune of a "Sins Past" and "One More Day" thus it's the now that must ensure that when those times happen that the fans will proceed and give another chance. Good beloved or memorable stories, art, longevity, relevancy, and even marketing is needed.

Thus I have seen a good deal of fanarts draw Earth-65 Gwen Stacy (left a impact in some form or just strong on details) and future artists employed by Marvel come years from now who began their comic book reading and art due in part with this Gwen Stacy if Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 is still around and apart of her or another series then we might see this version being drawn on variant covers.

As far of the feud goes I've read about it and I'm disappointed by the backstage drama but I try to not let it affect my passion for the character and the potential for what Earth-65 has and will bring. Artists and writers will come and go but the character can remain and every future story and art potential from every artist and writing team can bring great or terrible things but I hope for the best. I don't care for nor follow the drama but I know the basics. But again time will tell how much of a big impact that drama was towards this character to others and if any damages can be healed or just the drama itself will be forgotten in time as hopefully the comic and character goes on and hopefully enjoyed by most that read it and see the artwork(s). I don't know of the Outrage Spider-Gwen made by others thus not following or giving most of my attention to that thus little to no association of that come when I'm enjoying Spider-Gwen in the comics or other's fanarts and tales.

Plus even Spider-Man has had a few artists and writers with backstage drama in the past. However back then the internet wasn't around to help fan flames nor let the readers know about it. In fact many of the various drama we have learned about plus jarring story-lines and plot holes just from the first issues of many beloved characters would never come to light or be commented in numbers if not for the internet. The internet allows us to gather, discover, and talk about the comics and creators and even nitpick which would of ended many past comics and characters if the internet existed. The internet can make things go viral and market quickly both the various good and the various bad. The internet has changed many things in the industry and now is a major player if not the biggest.

If Spider-Gwen has a long-run (and I hope she and many others does) then in the long run we will have a list of different writers and artists just like Spider-Man has had. Some teams and time period has become iconic plus have left some form of a impact or definitive changes to style and presentation to characters. EVEN Gwen Stacy of Earth-616 if you look at the first time Gwen showed up in the comics she doesn't look like the 616 version that many make fanarts of her. The art style and drawing designs of 616 that has remained establish is of a later version from a different artist I believe. The art style that had been ingrained is the 616 Gwen when she historically died in the comics. Stan Lee wrote 616 Gwen in and another writer later killed 616 Gwen as a attempt to throw in a shocking twist and gain attention from readers plus the writer I read was a MJ shipper thus wanted to kill Gwen off to pair Peter up with MJ instead of killing Aunt May (TVTropes calls this "Die for Our Ship"). Stan Lee's and the artist's version of 616 Gwen Stacy when she first made her appearance in truth isn't really the remembered one of 616 but instead the one that got written off by another writer and the artist who was doing the art of the Spider-Man comic at the time version of 616 Gwen is the one remembered most of all of Gwen Stacy 616.

Come future art and writing teams and what they might added to the legacy and character of Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 (and other characters in the series) will be important and with it different mental associations or backlash. The developments or feelings of derailments can occur. Again all characters in the long run have high odds for written situations we won't like happen to our beloved and passion feelings to characters. Look at current 616 MJ with this Tony news plus how Black Cat being handled and how the fans have reacted. Do people hate or love the character based on how the are presented presently or do they instead deny this present version written and drawn and lash out towards the writers and artists that challenged how they associated to what they feel is their "true" version of the character or how they would handle the character instead. Whenever happens come the future the readers will either block out the times or moments they don't agree with or come to accept that it did happen even if they don't like it or agree with it and ingrain it to the characters in their history.

High are the odds that there will come more stupid head-smacking news and events to come for all characters (may it be how the characterizations was handled, backstage dramas, bad storylines, derailments, plot holes, OOC, the very fandom both pro or anti and how they react, ect) but hopefully in time also more quality and quantity of good things will overpower the negative and time will leave it behind while fans and future fans enjoy and associated with the characters they love and follow despite the negatives in the history or present.

Overall all characters and how we feel about them can be affected by what we choice to affect us plus the current writing and artist team who can change come a year from now. Characters we hate a new writer can come in a bring depth and developments making them beloved for us. Characters I find rolling my eyes when mentioned or feel has little chance can become extraordinary and amazing if done right in the future. The future is full of unknowns and possibilities and I hope for the best despite sometimes the odds.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    then by that account how many artists have gotten spider-gwen right? because to me it looks like none of them really draw her as a messy haired punk rocker
    Not many. And that is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    I believe vol. 2 comes out on Oct 14th
    Thanks!
    And wow, those are some nice fanarts. Thanks for sharing.
    I especially liked liked the last one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Not many. And that is a shame.
    not really she's just an alternate version of gwen stacy....just think of her as an alternate flavor of pepsi it might seem different but at the end of the day it's still pepsi

Quote Originally Posted by The Other View Post
    Thanks!
    And wow, those are some nice fanarts. Thanks for sharing.
    I especially liked liked the last one.
    The last one comes from a artist named "Ribkadory" that I found on DA. Here is a link so if you like you can see her other works: http://ribkadory.deviantart.com/gall...n-Art?offset=0

As far as the post about "just an alternate version of Gwen Stacy". Well if you think about it in the grand scheme of the context of multiverses and alternates then Gwen Stacy of Earth-616 is just an alternate of Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 and Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 is just an alternate of Gwen Stacy of Earth-616. "Alternate" can mean many things and one of them is different.

I'm going to basically copy from a older post I wrote but I feel it fits:

"The thing is she might be "Gwen Stacy" BUT she is NOT 616 Gwen Stacy. Her personality, her history, what makes her "her", the time period, the world she lives in, the attitude of the world and situations, and everything that helps shape a person is different from the 616 version resulting in a different Gwen Stacy. Alternate Gwen Stacy. Alternate means different. Now I understand why you think that. Many times when a What if tale showing a alternate world or a new earth is shown and the writers use the characters they always have the characters personalities and history match despite being a alternate world which differences could of happened. I believe the writers don't changes things as it would upset long term fans who are so use to certain things ingrained. Thus in many alternate worlds the history of Spider-Man/Peter Park remains the same, his personality remains the same, Uncle Ben dies and the lesson of responsibility remains the same and so does his cast usually as well.
    However Gwen out of all the Spider-Man cast of characters seems to have more variety lately then the others. In the past 20 years I read and seen her play many different parts and roles then any of the other characters and that's due to not being used for some time allowing obscurity to help free her from being set as just one way. Now 616 version Gwen Stacy death is seen as iconic and for many no matter what alternate version or different Gwen many assume that Gwen must die because one well known version did. But their have been some Gwen's that lived and now a Gwen that is a super-hero in her own world. The nature and set pattern of her death has been challenged and now Gwen can be shown to be or become anything. The now potential of a road of endless possibilities, personalities, and chances of unknown fates (provided with a well written story and characterization) for Gwens of the future has made "Gwen" to become the most versatile used character of the Spider-Man cast for many alternate worlds.

Thus going back to assume that this Gwen is the same Gwen as 616 version. She is not. She is basically a different person. She IS a different person. They are not the same. 616 Gwen is still dead and she is a great regret and failure guilt on Peter of 616 even now. Meeting many different alternate Gwens doesn't stop that moment in time for 616 Peter. He still failed to save 616 Gwen and if anything meeting alternate living Gwens just has him seeing the face of the person he failed and dead back on his world and thus motivates how he reacts when he meets alternate Gwens (and visa-versa).

Gwen of 616 has not come back from death. She not back from the dead like some might believe or how I overhear people respond to Spider-Gwen. "Oh they brought her back from death." No they didn't.

This Gwen of Earth-65 might of grown up and become that Gwen-616 if all the same things, very same history, meeting the same characters, and growing up in the same time period and culture, everything that can sculpturing her to be just like the 616 version plus the other characters as well being the same. But nothing like that happened. Gwen of Earth-65 comes from a Punk rock type of world, she comes from and growing up in a more modern for this time period and culture and technology age, the people she meets and has influenced her life and directions and personality is and also are different. This Gwen aspires and is a drummer while Gwen of 616 was a socially popular science student. This Gwen of Earth-65 has shown signs that she might not be socially popular and a introvert but has alot on her mind. Overall it is best not to think of her as "616 Gwen with Spider powers". It best to think of the two (and other alternate future Gwens) as separate characters (as they are) and you are just meeting this brand new character who name is Gwen Stacy. Everything that makes a person and the life choices defining them is different.
    Plus not just her but also Earth-65's: Frank Castle, her dad, Mary Jane, Felicia, Matt Murdock, Uncle Ben and basically everybody has some traits or simultaneities to the version found in 616-Earth but many differences or potential differences shaping them to be different people.

If you yourself met another version of you from a alternate world the odds are you would probably find that version to be little or vastly different from you because of possibly something different happening or influencing in that alternate world. Thus that other you isn't really "you". Both you and him/her would be two separate people, two separate individuals not a copy, thus there would never truly be another perfect copy version one like you in all of realities. There can never be another one just like you if it's a alternate world and not a copy world."

I guess one could find themselves when dimension hopping in a perfect copy world to the one they come from but then once that alternate event/choice happens then it becomes a alternate world and the domino/butterfly effect happens affecting many things differently and separating a person to who they are down in the spiritual and personal levels first then more later.
    Last edited by AngelJD; 10-03-2015 at 11:54 PM.

BANNED

you know what i mean...at the end of the day Spider-Gwen is just another take on 616 Gwen Stacy and no matter what anyone does the first thought most comic fans will have is 616 Gwen Stacy

Found 4 more variant covers for the upcomic Vol 2 #1 Spider-Gwen:

Since I can only upload 3 at a time I'll make another post.

Nice covers. Spider-Gwen has some of the best arts out there.

Did you guys see the preview for #1?

BANNED

Bodega Bandit is back! With a canine sidekick!