Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    Moderator joybeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,006

    Default Preview/Discussion: Omega Men #4

    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/08...-of-physics-24

    We get a quick recap of Kyle's backstory, and his motivations spinning out of it. Love it, and I wonder how King will tie that into the present arc.

    Larger full pages: http://imgur.com/a/JeItd

  2. #2
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    6,206

    Default

    I'm not going to read the preview but I'm still looking forward to this one. Omega Men is my second favorite book right now after Grayson.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

    Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

    Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

    When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

  3. #3
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,981

    Default

    This looks so good.

  4. #4
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    There are some things I just hate and that's when a writer neglets characterization just because of pushing a theme.

    The Kyle who appears here is simply not Kyle. This is a guy who is completely insecure of his role as a Lantern despite that the real Kyle has gotten over that years ago, it seems like the only justification for this portrayal is because this is the role he needs to fulfill.

    Rest of the issue wasn't so bad aside from that some of the dialogue is a bit awkward and the art is not the best.

  5. #5
    Moderator joybeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Another excellent chapter. Feels very much like a natural "breather" in between high-tension moments, and the use of a fill-in artist to illustrate these dreams and memories after Kalista and Kyle open themselves up works well in this case. There's some subtle characterization in between the lines as well. Even without much happening plotwise, the ending still delivers a significant moment. Kyle himself hasn't been nearly this interesting for quite some time. New Guardians was mediocre all throughout.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Tuxedo Elf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    There are some things I just hate and that's when a writer neglets characterization just because of pushing a theme.

    The Kyle who appears here is simply not Kyle. This is a guy who is completely insecure of his role as a Lantern despite that the real Kyle has gotten over that years ago, it seems like the only justification for this portrayal is because this is the role he needs to fulfill.

    Rest of the issue wasn't so bad aside from that some of the dialogue is a bit awkward and the art is not the best.
    Totally agree. This hasn't been Kyle's character for years. He's being portrayed as inexperienced and naive and I hate it. Plus I'm still waiting to find out why he was wearing a green ring and not a white one. Which is probably all that's keeping me reading at this point.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member Ragdoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Is this all supposed to be a metaphor for ISIS and the crisis in the Middle East? The morality being presented is very dark and unique, this book is giving me culture shock.

  8. #8
    Moderator joybeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Is this all supposed to be a metaphor for ISIS and the crisis in the Middle East? The morality being presented is very dark and unique, this book is giving me culture shock.
    I don't believe that's the intention, but there are enough parallels for a reader to make a soft connection.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Another excellent chapter. Feels very much like a natural "breather" in between high-tension moments, and the use of a fill-in artist to illustrate these dreams and memories after Kalista and Kyle open themselves up works well in this case. There's some subtle characterization in between the lines as well. Even without much happening plotwise, the ending still delivers a significant moment. Kyle himself hasn't been nearly this interesting for quite some time. New Guardians was mediocre all throughout.
    I agree with this. It was a good breather issue that expanded a lot on Kyle, Kalista, the Citadel and the Omega Men (more subtly) and it also feels like a break before stuff ramps up. Kyle hasn't been written this interesting to me in years (before the new 52, easily), and it actually feels a little weird to be invested in him again after New Guardians made me straight up dislike him.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    There are some things I just hate and that's when a writer neglets characterization just because of pushing a theme.

    The Kyle who appears here is simply not Kyle. This is a guy who is completely insecure of his role as a Lantern despite that the real Kyle has gotten over that years ago, it seems like the only justification for this portrayal is because this is the role he needs to fulfill.


    Rest of the issue wasn't so bad aside from that some of the dialogue is a bit awkward and the art is not the best.
    I agree with this too.

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    New Guardians was mediocre all throughout.
    No. New Guardians was the best GL book.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member ayanestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm not going to read the preview but I'm still looking forward to this one. Omega Men is my second favorite book right now after Grayson.
    Yeah I agree with this. OM, Grayson and Midnighter are my Top 3 right now.
    I really like OM, it's written very well. The art is not something for everyone but I think it fits to the book so I don't mind.

  13. #13
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    No. New Guardians was the best GL book.
    True dat!

    Well, at least when Justin Jordan was writing it, NG was easily the best GL book for a while due that it focused on some pretty creative ideas and interesting themes about what someone with the power of the White Lantern would do without losing who Kyle is at his core.

    The characterization here is sadly a downgrade from that. In fact, I would dare to say that is comparable to the one that Black Canary received in Andrew Kreisberg's Green Arrow and Black Canary run (and that's not a good thing believe me).

  14. #14
    Junior Member Tuxedo Elf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    No. New Guardians was the best GL book.
    Agreed, I miss it.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    I don't mind the changes in Kyle, so much, I just wish they'd be consistent. On the one hand, this is the "reboot" that Kyle was denied back in 2011 when he was locked into a subordinate role in a franchise that had to keep it's history and ongoing plotlines - without drawing on them. On the other hand, here he's a Green Lantern handing in his Green Lantern Ring to enter the Vega system.... When a few months ago, he was captured as "the White Lantern", dressed as such, and his White Lantern Ring was taken as a trophy.


    I wonder if - one way or another - we'll be looking at alterations to the trade to make it consistent one way or the other?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •