Astonishing Member

Default Spidey characters in "Starbrand & Nightmask"

Today, Marvel announced a new comic series, Starbrand and Nightmask, written by Greg Weisman (a Producer and writer for the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...rand-nightmask

Not only will the titular heroes be attending Peter Parker's former college, Empire State University, but there will be a few familiar cast members.

Kevin and Adam will be roommates, but we'll be introducing a lot of supporting characters, rapidly. Probably the most important is their R.A., Imani Greene, who is destined to become an extremely significant character in the mythos. There's also dormmates Kenny Kong, Shelly Conklin and Krysta Brown, Campus Security Guard Tiny McKeever, and Imani's physical therapist Sha Shan Nguyen (one of my favorite characters in the canon). Plus, what would an E.S.U. education be without a course from a certain Professor Warren?
    Kenny Kong is Flash Thompson's friend from the Ultimate Spider-Man comics (and Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon). Will he be hopping over to the regular Marvel Universe, like Miles Morales, or is this the debut of his Marvel Universe counterpart? I think the latter is more likely.

Tiny McKeever was one of Peter's classmates (and Flash Thompson's friend) in Untold Tales of Spider-Man.

Sha Shan Nguyen is Flash Thompson's former girlfriend, and was his physical therapist after he lost his legs.

As for Professor Warren, there are actually two possibilities. The first is of course, Miles Warren, The Jackal. The second is his brother, who taught Peter in Midtown High. Maybe he's moved up in the world since we last saw him? (Both Warren brothers were featured in The Spectacular Spider-Man, so Weisman is certainly aware of this obscure character.)

Any thoughts?

I'm already eager for Venom to make a guest appearance!

Glad to see Wiseman doing some Marvel stuff.

And a 616 (or whatever the post- Secret Wars Universe is called) Kong.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

ROFL at Warren still be allowed to work at ESU. Yay at Weisman getting to play with these forgotten supports. Kinda wish Deborah had been included as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    ROFL at Warren still be allowed to work at ESU. Yay at Weisman getting to play with these forgotten supports. Kinda wish Deborah had been included as well.
    I'm pretty sure this is Miles Warren's brother, Raymond. Should someone be fired if their brother is a supervillain?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is Miles Warren's brother, Raymond. Should someone be fired if their brother is a supervillain?
    It applied for Norah.

It applied for Norah.
    Though to be fair, the controversy was more because she had done stories involving Phil as the Hobgoblin, so there was the potential that she knew all along or was not an objective reporter when she wrote those stories which was why the Bugle had to let her go. Not to mention Phil had been a "source" to her.

If Raymond and Miles had done cloning research together or a paper on it, there would probably be some glares thrown at him, but otherwise I don't think Raymond would receive much backlash for what Miles did as the Jackal since it's not like they were really involved in anything together beyond being brothers and having similar professions.

But it's really cool to see Weisman bringing in some old supporting cast members to fill out the cast for his new book, and I can't wait to try it out. The likelihood of the book succeeding isn't very high, but I hope Marvel keeps Weisman as a writer for the foreseeable future .

BANNED

I'm surprised that they're bringing back Sha Shang Nguyen, that's truly reaching back into the abandon character pile of Spidey former supporting cast.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I'm surprised that they're bringing back Sha Shang Nguyen, that's truly reaching back into the abandon character pile of Spidey former supporting cast.
    Not necessarily. She did come back earlier as Flash Thompson's physical rehabilitation therapist after he lost his legs in Iraq during Brand New Day, and more recently as Aunt May's physical therapist after Alpha's big fight that knocked her and Jay Jameson's plane off-course left her with a permanently injured leg --- that was undone by Otto's exo-cybernetic limb invention during Superior Spider-Man. I'm pretty sure she might've had a cameo as Angelina Brancale's physical therapist when Angelina woke up from her coma upon Peter's death in Otto's body, but I'd have to reread the Necessary Evil TPB and I don't quite have regular access to that unless I go to the bookstore.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not necessarily. She did come back earlier as Flash Thompson's physical rehabilitation therapist after he lost his legs in Iraq during Brand New Day, and more recently as Aunt May's physical therapist after Alpha's big fight that knocked her and Jay Jameson's plane off-course left her with a permanently injured leg --- that was undone by Otto's exo-cybernetic limb invention during Superior Spider-Man. I'm pretty sure she might've had a cameo as Angelina Brancale's physical therapist when Angelina woke up from her coma upon Peter's death in Otto's body, but I'd have to reread the Necessary Evil TPB and I don't quite have regular access to that unless I go to the bookstore.
    That maybe so, but it has been a while for Sha Shang Nguyen TRUE return into comics, and have it not be a cameo appearance.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And that first appearance as Flash's physical therapist, in ASM #622? Written by Greg Weisman.

Seems like he really has a thing for Sha Shan. She was prominent in the second season of the Spectacular Spider-Man show too.

I love this, revitalizing some of Spidey's less known supporting cast

Seems like he really has a thing for Sha Shan. She was prominent in the second season of the Spectacular Spider-Man show too.
    I think he even admitted it in the interview for the book .