Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should Cyclops Gain Control of His Powers?

Of the O5 (not the time-displaced ones) Scott is the only one whose powers haven't changed or evolved. Hank went from having abnormally large hands and feet to a blue furred cat. Warren got metal wings and became Archangel. Bobby's ice powers are constantly developing. And we all know how Jean became so powerful she had to be killed off twice. Scott, on the other hand, is still stuck in the phase of having unstable eye beams, since he was 14. Now this was to show the less pretty side of being a mutant and how it wasn't always fun. However, its been decades now and he's one of the few X-Men whose powers haven't changed. Logan went from needing at least a day to regenerate, now he heals in milliseconds. Even Rogue is able to touch people now.

So what do you guys think? Is it time for Scott to finally take control of his powers? I personally think he should have one good thing in his life?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Even Rogue is able to touch people now.
    And it pretty much ruined the character, leading to Remender of all people being tasked with fixing her. (Good luck with that)

So what do you guys think? Is it time for Scott to finally take control of his powers?
    So, no.

I personally think he should have one good thing in his life?
    No.

BANNED

Until he leaves the X-men and gets his own book then no.

Which will never happen

Of the O5 (not the time-displaced ones) Scott is the only one whose powers haven't changed or evolved. Hank went from having abnormally large hands and feet to a blue furred cat. Warren got metal wings and became Archangel. Bobby's ice powers are constantly developing. And we all know how Jean became so powerful she had to be killed off twice. Scott, on the other hand, is still stuck in the phase of having unstable eye beams, since he was 14. Now this was to show the less pretty side of being a mutant and how it wasn't always fun. However, its been decades now and he's one of the few X-Men whose powers haven't changed. Logan went from needing at least a day to regenerate, now he heals in milliseconds. Even Rogue is able to touch people now.

So what do you guys think? Is it time for Scott to finally take control of his powers? I personally think he should have one good thing in his life?
    None of the O5 ended up well because of their changing powers, not even Scott. Both Jeans and Archangels changing powers basically caused their deaths, Icemans powers froze the world, Beast's transformations almost killed him. Heck, the one time Cyclops got an upgrade in power he killed Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    And it pretty much ruined the character, leading to Remender of all people being tasked with fixing her. (Good luck with that)
    Care to explain this? From what I've read she became better than ever. In fact, I'd say its Remender who's ruined her (and every character iin UA not named Thor).

Care to explain this? From what I've read she became better than ever. In fact, I'd say its Remender who's ruined her (and every character iin UA not named Thor).
    Depends on what you want from your X-Men stories.

If you love Rogue being the most awesomest character ever and the rest just serving as a smorgasbord of powers from her to draw from, then it might be fine. If you prefer a more balanced story where everyone gets their time to shine, then perhaps not so much.

So, might be ok in a Rogue solo series, but even there I personally at least feel the character would a very much less without that defining vulnerability.

I say why not? Rogue got control of her powers after years of not being able to touch. Wolverine gained control of his berserker rage. Beast fixed his powers when they were killing him. Why can't Cyclops? I don't think that would seriously undermine his character. He hasn't had that "I'm afraid of hurting people with my powers" mentality for years. I don't see how not having to wear his visor would make him do anything different than what he's doing now.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Perfect characters are boring, characters without flaws are boring. These two reasons are why the evolution of Rogue and Wolverine especially actually hurt their characters. This makes me especially wary when people talk about "fixing" his powers. That said he has such an impressive list of other flaws that in many ways overshadow his need for corrective lenses that it probably wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    Perfect characters are boring, characters without flaws are boring. These two reasons are why the evolution of Rogue and Wolverine especially actually hurt their characters. This makes me especially wary when people talk about "fixing" his powers. That said he has such an impressive list of other flaws that in many ways overshadow his need for corrective lenses that it probably wouldn't hurt.
    This is how I feel as well. Scott's life is such a storm tragedy after tragedy, failure after failure, that gaining control of his powers will probably be seen as a single bright spot instead of making his life 100% free of problems. I also don't see Rogue and Logan as perfect as they still have flaws (though in Logan's case people these days are less likely to call him out on them).

I like what Whedon did in his Astonishing run. Cyke has subconsciously subverted himself so he cannot control his powers. When Emma gave him this clarity he was able to control his powers. I wouldn't mind him being able to control them from time to time with a psychic push but overall I don't want him to control his powers.

It should have stuck during Whedon's run.
    On ye olde CBR

BANNED

I'm on the fence with this question. My main issue with Cyke being able to control his power is that the visor is a very iconic and member able feature about Scott. Without it he is just some generic looking dude. I also think if he is really going to gain control of his power then they should also be expanded upon otherwise overall the character would seem a little less interesting. Maybe if he learned how to control his optic blast and then his powers started going down the route of his Ultimate counterpart when he first gained momentary control over his abilities.......

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I'm on the fence with this question. My main issue with Cyke being able to control his power is that the visor is a very iconic and member able feature about Scott. Without it he is just some generic looking dude. I also think if he is really going to gain control of his power then they should also be expanded upon otherwise overall the character would seem a little less interesting. Maybe if he learned how to control his optic blast and then his powers started going down the route of his Ultimate counterpart when he first gained momentary control over his abilities.......
    I was going to say the exact same thing, Ultimate version Cyclops during the Banshee drug thing was awesome.

Fantastic Member

I have always assumed that Cyke has some control meaning that he can hold the eye-beams back (though not stop them) and push them to be even more powerful (without visor, evidently)

I have one question concerning Cyke, where does he get the energy from? I read in an old comic book (an issue of Classic X-men, I think) that he is solar powered (meaning like Superman, you take away the sun, you slowly take away his power) and somewhere else (sadly, I don't remember where) that his eyes are portals to another dimension (meaning his blasts are infinite so long he has eyes and stays alive)

I'm not sure it really matters at this point with the character. The whole extreme uptight thing hasn't been the case in years. Besides, his powers are 'broken,' now right?