Spectacular Member

Default Fixing Superboy(Kon-El/Connor Kent)

We've watched since the new 52 reboot, this character be torn apart and ruined right before our eyes. Everybody has tried in vain to fix him, and have failed. Here's the solution and it's simple. Give him back to Geoff Johns and let him d the necessary retcons and reboots to fix him. I remember in the 2000's when Superboy had become irrelevant. Then he did the retcon that him being half Lex/half Superman. Well, now thanks to the reboot, that probably doesn't work anymore, so Kon needs a brand new reboot. Who better to do it than the guy the who did it before. And also I might add fixed the Flash, and Green Lantern. He even undid Hal Jordan murdering the Green Lantern Corps scenario. Superboy can be fixed, I think Geoff is just the guy to do it.

Good god no. Johns is the one who screwed up Superboy the first time. He didn't fix a character that had become irrelevant, he just made a unique and fun character a brooding mess. And he's become even more blasé and clueless about the Superman mythos since that time. He's one of the last guys who should be charged with fkxing Kon. Johns forte is major retcons done creatively, that's unquestioned, but if you don't really get the sandbox you're in in the first place, that doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-01-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Drop the Lex/Superman thing, he doesn't need a connection to Lex Luthor. He can be a top secret government/Cadmus project to build their own "Superman", who escapes and is thus stunted in growth.

Let his stories get really weird and cyber punk. What does it mean to be alive? What is consciousness? The nature of good and evil to someone with a higher emotional palate? Being born into a world that already has her heroes, how do I live up? Gender, race, ethnicity, species- what is my identity?

That's just spit balling but I think it could make a really cool series. Punk rock Peter Pan.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-01-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Superboy should be fun, as he was in his early days. I don't know if that translates to Geoff Johns taking over, and even if it did he's only allowed to do one title per month according to rumors, and he's locked up on JL.

The Lex/Superman connection should probably be dropped. At this point Lex is barely a Superman villain in the New-52 so it's really unnecessary.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Good god no. Johns is the one who screwed up Superboy the first time. He didn't fix a character that had become irrelevant, he just made a unique and fun character a brooding mess. And he's become even more blasé and clueless about the Superman mythos since that time. He's one of the last guys who should be charged with fkxing Kon. Johns forte is major retcons done creatively, that's unquestioned, but if you don't really get the sandbox you're in in the first place, that doesn't really matter.
    If we're going to give Kon-El back to anyone it should be Karl Kesel.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    If we're going to give Kon-El back to anyone it should be Karl Kesel.
    THIS.

Lets see return of "The Metropolis Kid'!

Make him a result of the US govt trying to build it's own Superman....heck make it Luthor that helped create the technology that birthed him if you want a Lex connection...but don't have him be an actual clone of Lex...or Superman for that matter...go back to the original idea of it being a human DNA strand altered into something vaguly resembling Superman's DNA, that way he has his unique power set back. He's the closest thing human science can get to cloning a kryptonian.

He's quite simple when you get right down to it: He's young Clark Kent without the guidance of the Kents. He's not so much Clark-lite as he is delinquent-Kal. So his heart is naturally good as Kal-El's is, but he's precocious, has a short attention span, doesn't really know much of proper respect, and is arrogant in regards to what he can do. He doesn't need the conundrum of half his DNA being evil. He doesn't need to wonder if he'll turn out like Lex or Superman. doesn't have to sit around pondering if he has a soul. That's all contrivances tacked on to a character who worked just fine without them. His worries should be on a biological level, the status of his body; will he age, if so, how fast? If not, is he stuck a boy forever? How stable is his genetic make up (something, to give credit where credit is due, was made a plot point somewhere in the Jon Kent mess)? Will his powers grow and evolve, and if so, in what ways? Stuff like that.

As to how to wipe the slate clean and start over continuity wise, I would have had the conclusion to the latest volume have BOTH Superboys erased from existence thanks to their sacrifice. Erasing them from memory as well. Then in an epilogue suggesting a space-time course correct, have a new clone project in development suddenly gain brain activity. The implication being this is the incarnation of the soul that is proper for this particular world, without outside multiversal interference. From there his new origin can be built however they liked.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-01-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    He's quite simple when you get right down to it: He's young Clark Kent without the guidance of the Kents. He's not so much Clark-lite as he is delinquent-Kal. So his heart is naturally good as Kal-El's is, but he's precocious, has a short attention span, doesn't really know much of proper respect, and is arrogant in regards to what he can do. He doesn't need the conundrum of half his DNA being evil. He doesn't need to wonder if he'll turn out like Lex or Superman. doesn't have to sit around pondering if he has a soul. That's all contrivances tacked on to a character who worked just fine without them. His worries should be on a biological level, the status of his body; will he age, if so, how fast? If not, is he stuck a boy forever? How stable is his genetic make up (something, to give credit where credit is due, was made a plot point somewhere in the Jon Kent mess)? Will his powers grow and evolve, and if so, in what ways? Stuff like that.

As to how to wipe the slate clean and start over continuity wise, I would have had the conclusion to the latest volume have BOTH Superboys erased from existence thanks to their sacrifice. Erasing them from memory as well. Then in an epilogue suggesting a space-time course correct, have a new clone project in development suddenly gain brain activity. The implication being this is the incarnation of the soul that is proper for this particular world, without outside multiversal interference. From there his new origin can be built however they liked.
    "delinquent-Kal" is actually a surprisingly good description. I mean, it's pretty clear they were trying to evoke some kind of delinquent aesthetic when he first appeared by putting him in the classic '50s biker jacket. It's like they wanted him to evoke both Superman and one of the greasers from S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders at the same time. I guess maybe not many people tumbled to the idea because the Kid was still a good guy and most associate the term "delinquent" with criminals.

BANNED

I like the ideas here from some
    Karl Kesel
    fun
    human super clone
    Cadmus
    "Maybe" lex as creator or cloned from
    TTK

use what psycho pirate said superman has instead of the old aura answer and it's a go
    look like superman
    get infinite psionic power translated from Superman
    infinite power source from being a solar battery,and get heat vision as a byproduct

How to fix or make this happen
    Jon lane Kent wiped out completely and with no one remembering him (like cir-el was)
    have new 52 kon be a clone of jon Samuel kent,and make him more a multiverse superboy
    have Cadmus and Lex create there own totally human superman