Default Moon Knight #4 *Spoilers*

Moon Knight #4 by Ellis, Shalvey, and Bellaire. Out today.

This is another done-in-one, with Moon Knight investigating a sleep research facility where the test subjects are going insane. Most of the issue is set in a fungus-based dreamscape, and it is another showcase for Shalvey and Bellaire, managing to be grotesque and gorgeous at the same time. There's one page where Moon Knight, in his superhero costume in the dream, is swooping down through the negative space of the gutters between panels, past a monstrous mushroom monster. It's seriously great stuff.

Anyone else pick this up?

BANNED

Another Moon Knight issue and another wonderful short story.

Shalvey and Bellaire are just killing it on this series. Those 2 are doing outstanding work on the art front. Ellis is a plus as well. Really enjoyable issue.

Really curious about the next team in Moon Knight.

BANNED

I really, really enjoyed this one. My favorite issue thus far since:

1)It had a bit more dialog.
    2)More references to the past.
    3)Both mystery and ass kicking.

New Creative team: Brian Wood and Smallwood are taking over (writer and artist respectivelly) with Bellaire stays for the colors and Shalvey for the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Shalvey and Bellaire are just killing it on this series. Those 2 are doing outstanding work on the art front. Ellis is a plus as well. Really enjoyable issue.

Really curious about the next team in Moon Knight.
    Definitely. It was on the obscure end of art that you used to run across in Heavy Metal. I am a bit bummed that only one of them is making up the new creative team. Here's to hoping they find something interesting for Shalvey to do post-Moon Knight.

This was my favorite issue so far, and I absolutely loved the first three. I liked the references to Marlene's brother's work with Morpheus, but I was kind of hoping to actually see the villain. We haven't seen that guy in forever.

But this was certainly the standout issue from Shalvey and Bellaire, all of the dreamscape looked stunning.

Ellis stories since Secret Avengers tend to just sort of.. end, it could use a little more room for a proper conclusion. But that's just a minor nitpick, I'm really enjoying this series.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

All the issues have been great, but this one was my favorite of the bunch. Loved the dream sequences. It's a shame this creative team is leaving the book at 6 because I'm probably leaving with them.

Edit: aaaand, I just found out Greg Smallwood is going to be drawing the book next. Good job sucking me right back in, Marvel. Anyone who isn't familiar with Smallwood, needs to go out and get the Dream Theif trade. It was one of the best minis last summer, and it starts up with another story at the end of the month.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 06-05-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

My fave issue so far, but I've said that about every one. And Shalvey and Bellaire KILL this book. Sad that Shalvey is gone, but happy Bellaire is hanging around. Smallwood's art looks pretty sweet though, so I think that will be good transition.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Read it and picked it up. I'm digging the done in one format of the book. Thought the art and the concept were great, though the reveal of the culprit seemed a bit too sudden. Will continue to read though.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Mighty Member

Do I miss Moon Knights supporting cast? Yes. Do I miss longer story arcs? Yes.

However, these done and ones are great and give Moon Knight an nice niche, and anyone really can jump in during any issue. Also, I'm glad I bought the Moon Knight Essentials all those years ago so I could enjoy the call back to Morpheus. If there is ever a call back to Stained Glass Scarlet at some point, I would indeed have a minor fangasm.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The Jordie Bellaire colors in this issue are amazing!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Man, I am really going to miss Shalvey, this page was incredible.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't love this series but it quickly growing on me. #1 was decent and #2 was a disappointment. #3 and #4 have been excellent though. The team are really hitting their stride. I can't think of any done in one stories that are on the same level as these last two books.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Do I miss Moon Knights supporting cast? Yes. Do I miss longer story arcs? Yes.

However, these done and ones are great and give Moon Knight an nice niche, and anyone really can jump in during any issue. Also, I'm glad I bought the Moon Knight Essentials all those years ago so I could enjoy the call back to Morpheus. If there is ever a call back to Stained Glass Scarlet at some point, I would indeed have a minor fangasm.
    Same here. I loved the callback to Morpheus but I would've liked to actually have him back.

Given Brian Wood's preference for female characters on the spotlight, I'm hoping he will dust off Stained Glass Scarlet eventually during his run.

Moon Knight has a small but fantastic rogues gallery, yet the only one who's had any focus recently has been Bushman - except maybe for that one arc with Black Spectre, with a new one coming along. I just wish Scarlet and Morpheus would get some love, they were my favorite villains from the Moench/Sienkiewicz run.

Worth noting there have been almost invisible callbacks throughout this run. Nice attention to detail.