Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    sooo... the crux of the argument is to ignore Katara's demonstrated ability to resist the technique by stating Amon is the more powerful bender by the use of ABC logic and power-scaling? okay.
    I can't help but notice you have made the thread with something of an agenda.

In the end it boils down to one thing.

Katara needs to be powered up by the full moon in order to blood bend. A Full Moon being the time when a water bender is at his/her strongest.

Amon doesn't.

Katara resisted the bloodbending of someone who, you guessed it, needed to be powered up by the full moon in order to use it.

Amon can already use it normally and is further boosted by the full moon here; so really, Katara's ability to resist Hama is all sorts of irrelevant.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Mighty Member

regarding points One and Two: it's true that Yakone held an entire courtroom full of people in his control as a blood bender. I remember that. I remember when Tarlok did it as well. none of these people ever showed the ability to resist blood-bending. it's speculation to assume that Katara simply can't resist Yakone, Tarlok, or Amon's blood-bending because Aang couldn't. Aang was never shown to learn the technique. Toph has no ability to resist blood bending in spite of the fact that she's an earth-bending prodigy. mentioning their lack of resistance doesn't nullify Katara's demonstrated feat. Yakone, Tarlok, and Amon never actually met Katara in combat. the only thing Yakone said about Katara is that she was a coward for NOT using the ability.
    This entire thread is a question of strength. Yakone and Tarrlok have demonstrated that they can effortlessly control and knock out the most powerful benders of their time, while holding a room full of people, including metal bending cops, equally hostage.

Both times while there was no full moon.

This is a water bending strength feat that is vastly beyond Hama. Katara is seriously out of her league here.

Also, Amon's description of his past was revealed to be largely B.S. Tarrlok described the feeling he felt when Amon was taking his bending away as exactly that same as when Amon would blood bend him in the past. Given that the man was a blood bending prodigy, it's far more likely that Tarrlok is correct and that Amon was using blood bending to simulate energy bending.

Point Four:
    just because Katara can't undo the handiwork of Amon's bending removal doesn't mean it's because she lacks water bending power compared to Amon. it's far easier to break something than it is to fix it. if the technique involved chi-blocking or the sealing off of chakras then Katara's healing ability would be of no use since she can't energy bend. she couldn't use her healing ability to unblock Aang's chakras either. it took Aang's energy bending to restore Korra's power.
    We've seen Katara master techniques just off of a description on a scroll. She mastered blood bending just by listening to and watching Hama. Lin and Korra are capable of describing exactly how Amon touched them to remove their bending. Still, Katara couldn't figure out how to remove the block. Amon's blood bending technique was just that much more advanced or powerful. Either suggests that Katara doesn't have a prayer against Amon.

sooo... the crux of the argument is to ignore Katara's demonstrated ability to resist the technique by stating Amon is the more powerful bender by the use of ABC logic and power-scaling? okay.
    I ignore nothing. Hama's best feats are controlling two people under a full moon. Yakone's and Tarrlok's best feats are defeating a room full of people, including the most powerful benders in the world, in broad daylight. Amon's best feat is making his little brother his bitch, demonstrating he is even stronger.

Fighting off the bending of a blood bender that is demonstrably beneath her isn't proof that Katara can fight off the bending of blood benders prodigies like Yakone and his sons. I'll be honest here, I doubt Katara has any sort of chance against Tarrlok, much less Amon.

P.S.
    it's also pretty hard to defeat someone who has a character shield.
    I know. That's how Mako actually got a shot at Amon in the first place. I mean really, the villain not only stands in the one place that Mako can actually fire at, but also takes the time to monologue? It's classic comic villain has to gloat to give the hero the chance he/she needs to win.

It's also how Korra surprised Amon and revealed his ruse. Because you know, Korra suddenly knows how to air bend because the power of boners is greater than blood bending (apologies to Cinema Sins).

Mighty Member

A great deal depends on if Katara knows she is dealing with a bloodbender and is ready to counter or resist before he gets in close.

Mighty Member

it's true, I did have an agenda-- I wanted to find out if Amon was essentially invincible inside of his own universe. since none of the old threads existed I wanted to go through the arguments again. and if nobody else bothers arguing in her favor I figured I should give it a try.

even though I believe Amon takes away bending through means other than blood-bending it's naturally not going to change the outcome of this fight. if he can already defeat Katara with just blood-bending then stealing her powers is just the icing on the cake.

if her only option is to get curbstomped then that's what happens.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    A great deal depends on if Katara knows she is dealing with a bloodbender and is ready to counter or resist before he gets in close.
    maybe... but given what we've seen she'll know instantly when he starts doing it. and he's one of those blood-benders where it doesn't really matter how close he is as long as he can see her. in a normal rumble being able to single her out from the terrain features should be enough.
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 09-05-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    It's also how Korra surprised Amon and revealed his ruse. Because you know, Korra suddenly knows how to air bend because the power of boners is greater than blood bending (apologies to Cinema Sins).
    "the power of boners"? guess I'll have to watch that one now.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

If Amon is fighting Katara in the first season, Amon would really have no issues defeating and killing her off since she's become a fairly frail elderly woman and lives a violent-free lifestyle. Unlike Toph, who is still very much capable of protecting herself and an able fighter in her old age.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    If Amon is fighting Katara in the first season, Amon would really have no issues defeating and killing her off since she's become a fairly frail elderly woman and lives a violent-free lifestyle. Unlike Toph, who is still very much capable of protecting herself and an able fighter in her old age.
    Eh. I think Korra should have been able to take it to her imo. Unless she had been nerfed before then.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Given she's a girl, that sounds like fanfic time to me!
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Mighty Member

maybe... but given what we've seen she'll know instantly when he starts doing it. and he's one of those blood-benders where it doesn't really matter how close he is as long as he can see her. in a normal rumble being able to single her out from the terrain features should be enough.
    Oh he can throw her aim off or possibly jerk her around at range... it is just any lasting damage like shutting down her bending for good is precision work at arms length.

Mighty Member

It's a recurring joke that Cinema Sins use on their "Everything Wrong With" series. Enjoy.

Given she's a girl, that sounds like fanfic time to me!
    Psst, please. Like Korra wasn't the man of the MaKorra ship.