Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Original Sins, #1

The events of Original Sin stir up secrets and consequences for Deathlok, the Young Avengers and Lockjaw in "Original Sins" #1.

Full review here.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The Deathlok story was interesting and the Young Avengers story was fun but the real breakout star of this issue was Lockjaw.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I grabbed this issue most excited to read the Young Avengers story, and it full didn't dissapoint.

Teddy is full my favorite YA, and it's nice to see him out in the world, away from Billy for a bit (and not as furniture for a cosmic parasite). It was nice to see that there's no lingering weirdness between he and David too, after that whole akward moment in the last series.

The real kicker for me though is seeing Noh-Varr (finally!) on the hunt for Oubliette. I've been holding my breath waiting for them to meet again since reading the original Marvel Boy series. It's a massive dangling thread in his story that needs some resolution.

So, yeah, while it wasn't full of 'edge of your seat' action, the YA story is actually crammed with important character beats for these three guys.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Yeah, I found the stories were more like an anthology. They were wasted when Marvel could have done some real confronting Secrets in this series, and they waste it on advertising. I have been saying all along that this was an opportunity to release all the dirty laundry of the MU, to people who it affected and let the impact fall harshly on the recipient, but Marvel are losing this opportunity for a hard hitting Event, with trivial wastes of space. (Not that poor Seth Horns death wasn't harsh, but who is he, and who is Deathlock now? - completely irrelevant).

Here is where you put in that Black Bolt and Maximus are not dead and Medusa catches up to them; That the Watcher isn't dead at all, but is in an alternate reality, hiding out. Just explode all the hidden secrets to the reader, who have had so much stuff hidden from them while the writers weave their stories. Is Remenders Uncanny Avengers live? Is the ANMU a fractured set of realities right now? Marvel could have blown this Event apart with things like this.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-14-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Yeah, I picked this issue up thinking it was going to be a catch-all for all the secrets being uncovered over the whole Marvel universe. It wasn't quite what I expected, but as a companion piece to the main series it did okay. Lockjaw's story was my favorite.