Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Loki: Agent of Asgard #5

Well, looks like we finally had the face off we have been dreading.

The caper goes off a little too well (in my opinion), and the slipper slope takes tilts another degree.

How does everyone feel about this issue?

1. The Asgardian trio need to hang out more (Loki/Sig/Lorelei). They need a road trip or something. Seriously. I can tell Sig is a bad influence on Loki, and Thor would not approve. Now we just need Hercules.
    2. Words really can't describe how much I like new Loki. And this comic.
    3. Knew Loki Phantom was getting stabbed with that sword at some point; it's just too good to pass up.
    4. We have 2 Loki's for the price of one. I'm ecstatic we're keeping both of them! Looks like Siege Loki is kinda lying with the truth again, because if he's the agent of the end, then new Loki isn't. And old Loki is new Loki's archenemy. Excellent....

Still waiting on Loki to crash Strange's party and join the Defenders or something.

I second the new Asgardian trio needing to hang out more. Really liked the Lorelei and Loki banter.

Really like Ewing's pacing in the issue and how everything fell into place. My only concern was the ending. Seemed a bit rushed so it could lead into the Original Sin tie in issues. Still on the fence about getting that.

Thought this was excellent. I agree that the heist stuff at the beginning was a little too straightforward, but there was great payoff once the Lokis were face-to-face. Liked that Loki had to strong-arm Thor into helping him and that there will likely be some follow-through there. Also liked Sigurd and Lorelei recognizing each other immediately as kindred spirits (as well as the foreshadowing of their grisly fates). I'm really curious where they are going with the two Lokis.

My only real issue is that I am not all that interested in this crossover event or that lady in boob armor who is apparently some new relative, but I feel like when they start again in September I will probably be missing out on some of the new backstory. It's Ewing and Garbett, though, so the crossover might not be as bad as that preview image implies...
    Last edited by sanderling; 06-07-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Spectacular Member

Well, now I'm just kind of heartbroken. Excuse me while I go sob in a corner.

But man, was this issue incredible! And I feel like what makes it particularly incredible is the fact that, in the end, despite the seemingly overwhelming odds and the future Loki's plain cruelty towards the younger one, I want young Loki to succeed and overcome that fate all the more. And that's the mark of a truly successful piece of writing. When you end up really, truly caring about the characters. And I want Loki to succeed so badly, and to beat this, despite everyone, including his own freakin' Mother and his apparent future self working against him. Further more, I believe Loki can. Future Loki said the younger will never be able to because no one wants him to, but plenty of people do want him to win, I believe.

Go Loki, go!

Fantastic emotional weight in this issue. I actually felt my laughter and smiling drain away as the issue went on, seeing how distraught Loki was by the revelations here. Truly heartbreaking.

This was the best issue that's been released so far. And Old Loki stole the show as far as Im concerned.

I did catch a little lie by omission he told even when the sword was through his chest. This Loki is from the future with Old King Thor in God of Thunder. He told the All-Mother that Midgard of the future was governed well "by my reckoning." If you've read God of Thunder, you know that Midgard is a barren, dead wasteland in the future. He also referred to himself as King Loki. So I wonder, is this the reason that Old King Thor wanted present day/Avengers Thor to go back and kill Loki at the end of the God Bomb arc? Did Old Loki have something to do with Midgard's apparent future demise?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegeLoki View Post
    This was the best issue that's been released so far. And Old Loki stole the show as far as Im concerned.

I did catch a little lie by omission he told even when the sword was through his chest. This Loki is from the future with Old King Thor in God of Thunder. He told the All-Mother that Midgard of the future was governed well "by my reckoning." If you've read God of Thunder, you know that Midgard is a barren, dead wasteland in the future. He also referred to himself as King Loki. So I wonder, is this the reason that Old King Thor wanted present day/Avengers Thor to go back and kill Loki at the end of the God Bomb arc? Did Old Loki have something to do with Midgard's apparent future demise?
    That is actually a good thought. I think you're right about that.

I am liking this book but I missed part of new Loki.

How did Loki kill his kid self? It has been referenced a few times and I get the gist of it but what happened?

Kid Loki's soul was essentially erased and replaced with 'Ikol', who is a copy of the old Loki/a piece of old Loki. So he body-snatched him, in crude terms.

I thought they would wait longer to have young Loki meet old Loki, but doing the reveal / showdown relatively early in the series does give young Loki a lot more drive and purpose in the series. Another excellent issue in what has become just about my favorite Marvel title.

Ewing is an incredibly good writer on this series. The way he plays with words and interjects fanservice is very appropriate for the Loki property and the tone of the book, and I like how there are some metafictional elements to the series as well (the conflict sort of speaks to the nature of retcons in mainstream comics, and nearly every issue deals with the nature of stories and storytelling). Every character introduced is immediately likable and interesting with their own unique personality; pervy Sigurd is definitely a favorite of mine. Garbett continues to do really nice work that hits the right notes for each scene, whether charming, funny, creepy, fantastic, etc. The coloring and lettering are also really good too.

I didn't like this quite as much as last issue (#4, which was probably my favorite of the series) but it was still really good overall, and the Loki-Loki interaction was a highlight of the series so far and ended the issue very very well. Things will surely switch gears with the Original Sin tie-in, which I hope is enjoyable, and I do look forward to the Garbett & Bianchi tag team, as I think Bianchi will kill it in the Thor universe.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

BANNED

Lol Lorelei and Sigurd interesting pair.

This is pretty interesting though I figured the sword would fail for exactly the reason it did.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Lol Lorelei and Sigurd interesting pair.

This is pretty interesting though I figured the sword would fail for exactly the reason it did.
    Yeah, maybe they will become lovers, apart from Loki and Thor, no one knows about Lorelei´s love relationships.

Oh, loved the issue, very, very good and so shocking both Loki´s revelation.

And now waiting for the Original Sin/Tenth Realm tie-in and then how the book will continue on September.

BANNED

Yeah I admit I did not expect the future twist although on 2nd thought, Ewing has been a real team player on respecting continuity from other writers.

I hope to see the return of Kid Loki. Then we can have three of them.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

From all indications, I'm betting that baby thing that stared up way back when is going to connect some how to Angela (She was an Angel in the Spawn universe if I recall correctly). Interesting a tie between Lorelei and Sigurd would possibly give him more of an advantage over the Valkeryes should he drop dead. So Old Loki and New Loki are now facing off? Oh boy...I'm hoping New Loki wins and I know of a few people that would want him to win in continuity. Certainly Idunn wouldn't want her sister's ex/former/are they still married or was that totally changed after that whole thing with ragnorak-husband being replaced by Old Loki when New Loki would be more of an appropriate person for Sigyn to interact with.

My question now is this, given Verity "Can't lie to me" Wilson (is that her last name?) abilities, wouldn't she be able to tell if Old Loki was telling the truth? And again Freyja (Frigga) cares about Loki so she'd give both versions the benefit of the doubt, even if he's completely being an ass to her.

Kid Loki could come back, but it would have to be a hell of a way to bring him back into the story.