Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I still would like to see the comics take on the fact that Loki's three children by Angrboda were taken from their mother. Not to mention how they turned one of Loki's sons by Sigyn and made him kill his younger brother then tied Loki up with the intestines of his own child.The Aesir in the myths were shown to be absolute jerks to Loki even when it wasn't warranted. If one is a Norse mythology buff then this would come at no surprise.

http://thenorsegods.com/lokis-childr...ing-of-fenrir/

http://blogs.transparent.com/iceland...okis-children/

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    I still would like to see the comics take on the fact that Loki's three children by Angrboda were taken from their mother. Not to mention how they turned one of Loki's sons by Sigyn and made him kill his younger brother then tied Loki up with the intestines of his own child.The Aesir in the myths were shown to be absolute jerks to Loki even when it wasn't warranted. If one is a Norse mythology buff then this would come at no surprise.

You've got to wonder who the bad guy really is sometimes, and if any of the other heroes ought to step in and stop some of what was happening to Loki. Or at least bring sane reasoning to the table instead of lip sewing and other craziness. I keep hoping he'll hang around earth long enough that the heroes start getting involved, because it seems like the gods need humans to create real change.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post

Yeah, it would be fascinating and good for them to explore some of that. Loki's always been the Asgardian's scapegoat in a lot of ways, even in the myths, and it sucks.

In other words Loki is very much the definition of jerkass woobie. He might do things that no one would find moral but on the other hand its not like the pantheon is any better than him. The one thing that is also constant in the original Norse myths is the fact that one cannot fight fate at all. Both myth and comic Loki cannot fight the path that has been designated for them.

Its why I sometimes wish that Marvel stayed closer to the essence of the Norse myths because in my opinion Loki was always the more interesting character than Thor. Even then Marvel Thor has always been portrayed rather differently than his mythical self.
    Last edited by jazzflower92; 06-05-2014 at 06:04 PM.

I'm not look forward to dealing with the Original Sin tie-in, but this was an amazing issue nonetheless.

I also find the symbolism of King Loki being sealing in a "cave" underground to correspond nicely to the myths, and it also shows just how far Asgard is willing to warp Loki for their needs. He's basically nothing more than an insane spirit at this point who seems so utterly different from our Loki that it's actually scary. They've literally destroyed most of his personality. It makes you wonder if just meeting his future self is enough to scare Loki into ensuring his future ends up different.

For the record, the whole destiny schtick even from King Loki's lips doesn't mean Loki has to go back being evil. Antagonistic and never really getting Asgard's approval, yes, but not that it has to be evil. It's almost like King Loki is showing Loki what path not to take.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    I also find the symbolism of King Loki being sealing in a "cave" underground to correspond nicely to the myths, and it also shows just how far Asgard is willing to warp Loki for their needs. He's basically nothing more than an insane spirit at this point who seems so utterly different from our Loki that it's actually scary. They've literally destroyed most of his personality. It makes you wonder if just meeting his future self is enough to scare Loki into ensuring his future ends up different.

For the record, the whole destiny schtick even from King Loki's lips doesn't mean Loki has to go back being evil. Antagonistic and never really getting Asgard's approval, yes, but not that it has to be evil. It's almost like King Loki is showing Loki what path not to take.
    Yeah, that's a great point. Seeing how totally insane and without seeming conscience the future Loki is, and comparing that to the present Loki, who's so, so different, who really WANTS to be good and is funny and smart and even in a lot of ways sweet, it really DOES put into perspective just how bad it is what the All-Mother and Asgard does to him, to turn him from that into what we see in the future Loki. And like you said, how willing they are to destroy him and use him to the point of him not even resembling the same person he was.

I think Loki will fight against this, one of the reasons being what you stated, about him being so scared by what he sees, that he won't ever go willingly into that. And also because Loki isn't the type to give in to expectation and just yield. If Loki has anything, it's a will or iron. The Asgardian's are being idiotic. I don't know what makes them think screwing Loki over like this is a good idea, when Loki wants so earnestly to be good. But it's an interesting point, maybe future Loki, in his roundabout way, is there to help present Loki, showing him what will happen if he lets other people force him into something he doesn't want.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjoke21 View Post
    I don't know what makes them think screwing Loki over like this is a good idea, when Loki wants so earnestly to be good. But it's an interesting point, maybe future Loki, in his roundabout way, is there to help present Loki, showing him what will happen if he lets other people force him into something he doesn't want.
    One of Loki's biggest downfalls has been needing Asgard's approval and believing he could ever earn it. In a weird way, he really did see the best in them, but this should tear off any blinders he has about how they see him. What he needs is to build some stable relationships on Earth and stop relying emotionally on Asgard. Now to get him to move in with Dr. Strange and join the Defenders...*cough*

I'm also curious to see if Sig and Lorelei really have a tragic future or if they end up defying it.

Amazing Member

At this point, I don't want more woobie Loki with the woobiest parts of the myths... I want him to kick ass... he's at his lowest point here, so I want to see him climb back up, with the trickiest parts of his nature. Okay, though, I want to see some reckoning for what Ikol did to kid Loki... I'm thinking the truth sword through the guts at a crucial point might help that along. Thor is not gonna be impressed if he finds out. I don't think he'll be okay with that at all. He's extremely principled and hot headed. Eventually he may come to terms with it, but I personally hope that's not soon.

The promo for Original Sin: The Tenth Realm seems kinda ordinary to me at first look... but looking forward to the next part of the puzzle nonetheless. Really enjoying L:AOA and T:GOT at the moment.

It kind of makes me wish they would also have Sigyn and Angrboda in this as well because of the fact that their children were screwed over by the Aesir. I know the latter has never been much of a character in the comics despite her children appearing heavily but I do believe she like Loki would be a complex person who although can be amoral at times could actually have moments where she is capable of doing good deeds. While Sigyn I think has been very much mishandled by the writers at Marvel and could have been a morality pet for Loki showing how someone like her could put up with him. Instead they took the really lazy way and just made their marriage uncomfortably abusive. I do take note at how it is said that she and Loki had two children Vali and Narvi that died young but it is never elaborated on. I think maybe just like in the myths the Aesir had a hand in it.
    Last edited by jazzflower92; 06-05-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    I guess this issue explains why Loki will be joining the Red Skull's crew in Axis.
    You are almost rooting for him at the moment. I wonder what they'll offer him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post

When you put it like that, it makes the whole thing so much worse. It's not just that future Loki is evil. No, it's that the guy is so clearly broken that he calls his younger self a girl and an idiot, that he would be willing to do this in the first place.

The thing is, the things you read that try to make Loki seem like not so horrible of a guy...well, I used to hate them, but this issue...I mean, really. She's his mother! Even if she's his adoptive mother, she's still his mother. And she's willing to throw him to the wolves and under the bus. What else is she going to do to him? Really, what? It makes you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I agree. I might actually have something to be excited about for Axis.

When you put it like that, it makes the whole thing so much worse. It's not just that future Loki is evil. No, it's that the guy is so clearly broken that he calls his younger self a girl and an idiot, that he would be willing to do this in the first place.

The thing is, the things you read that try to make Loki seem like not so horrible of a guy...well, I used to hate them, but this issue...I mean, really. She's his mother! Even if she's his adoptive mother, she's still his mother. And she's willing to throw him to the wolves and under the bus. What else is she going to do to him? Really, what? It makes you wonder.
    I'm honestly not too shocked, given how colossally arrogant and messed up most Asgardians tend to be. Reading through that whole scene was still pretty painful, though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post

Man, my heart. The whole thing is messed up on such an epic scale. How much can the kid take. Ya know?

All-New Member

Good issue, would be interesting to see this plot further development, and it`s link to GoT series in a shared possible future light.

But I really do not understand all the tears about “evil, treacherous all-mother “. She is a ruler, her first priority is her people and her kingdom as a whole, not her emotions of her family. If sacrificing the happiness (its not even his life! Just some metaphorical -this-moment- happiness that is nothing for a country) of one of her children will give her people a hope for the better future she should do it, or she will be a bad leader. She tested the possibility to avoid it by proving the old ones prophecy are void but he was right so she made a decision that is I am sure, were not easy to make. So, before blaming and crying understand the it’s an ugly nature of ruling, and that’s why Thor avoiding it at all costs.

And as those who wish for Loki to try and find himself somewhere else I think you will get it as is was stated that he will find something in 10th realm that Asgard can’t give him (he will be back home eventually but some head clearing and grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side should come and pass for him).

Art and colors continue to impress. That classic "DOOR IS AJAR" riddle did seem a little too forced though. Better villain book than Punisher and Magneto this week. Teen Loki can banter with the best of them.