Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Books reaching 50 issues in March

So, what do you think that DC Comics has in store for all the books that will reach 50 issues simultaneously in March?

- Superman
    - Action Comics
    - Batman
    - Detective Comics
    - Justice League
    - Catwoman
    - Batgirl
    - Green Lantern
    - Wonder Woman
    - The Flash
    - Aquaman
    - Green Arrow
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    So, what do you think that DC Comics has in store...

- Superman
    - Action Comics
    - Batman
    - Detective Comics
    - Justice League
    - Catwoman
    - Batgirl
    - Green Lantern
    - Wonder Woman
    - The Flash
    - Aquaman
    - Green Arrow
    Really, these are all the ones?

So, what do you think that DC Comics has in store...
    The realization that in the past 50 years, DC hasn't created a single new character or concept that can now hold it's own book past 50 issues.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-02-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Hyperbole much?

Because I can think of several right off the top of my head -- if you're allowing for "50 years".

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Hyperbole much?

Because I can think of several right off the top of my head -- if you're allowing for "50 years".
    I didn't make the list, thought his list was meant to be definitive, but by all means list all the new concepts and characters currently going past 50 issues.
    It's kind of the theme of the thread.
    List away!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-02-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Sorry, I took your snark to be referring to all of DC. I guess I misread that "50 years" comment.

I seriously don't think they plan that far ahead.
    Ask again in December.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I didn't make the list, thought his list was definitive, but by all means list all the new concepts currently currently going past 50.
    It's kind of the theme of the thread.
    List away!
    They absolutely have other books they could keep going up to or past issue #50, but they'd have to lower their cancellation threshold, which they seem unwilling to do.

On the one hand, I'm okay with shorter runs because I like finite stories. On the other hand, around 30 issues seems to have been the mark recent books hit if they aren't cancelled after their first arc, and the only one I can think of that truly used that space to tell a story with a beginning, middle and end is Lemire's Animal Man. Oh, and maybe Tomasi's Batman and Robin, which came pretty damn close to the 50-issue mark. Most others bear the marks of early cancellation.

As for what they have in store? Probably business as usual. Maybe a celebratory one-off for some of the titles.

Mighty Member

They'll probably get extra sized issues like some books did for #25. Also I'm expecting stuff like we'll get Bruce back as Batman, plus I think Geoff Johns said Darkseid War would run through #50.

I don't know about 50 but when those books reach 52 issues DC is going to do another massive reboot.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    I don't know about 50 but when those books reach 52 issues DC is going to do another massive reboot.

I fully expect DC to do new number 1s for a lot of their titles at either 50 or 52, prior to the Sup v Bat movie. So maybe a rebrand, but certainly not a reboot.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

So, what do you think that DC Comics has in store for all the books that will reach 50 issues simultaneously in March?

- Superman
    - Action Comics
    - Batman
    - Detective Comics
    - Justice League
    - Catwoman
    - Batgirl
    - Green Lantern
    - Wonder Woman
    - The Flash
    - Aquaman
    - Green Arrow
    I'd point out that they're all attached to a major franchise, which has become par for the course over the past fifteen years. These are the books that will survive in pretty much any market, except for Green Arrow, which has a tv show. That's a sad state of affairs, but it's the way these things have gone. I'm worried at some point DC will stop trying anything else and just focus on those franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    They'll probably get extra sized issues like some books did for #25. Also I'm expecting stuff like we'll get Bruce back as Batman, plus I think Geoff Johns said Darkseid War would run through #50.
    Yeah, I'm expecting the usual milestone celebration, but nothing more than that despite these books being the first to reach #50 post-reboot.

I'm pretty sure Snyder confirmed that Bruce will be back as Batman by #50, though it's still up in the air as to whether he or Capullo will be staying on past that.

Yang, Bunn, and Percy are in an interesting position since they've just really started their runs and are already approaching the milestone issues for their titles. And Tomasi's just about to start a run on Detective Comics with #45!

I wonder if Romita will still be around for Superman #50?

Flash #50 might be where I finally decide whether to keep up with it as I have from the beginning or just move on, since the current run just isn't doing anything for me. I do hope Venditti and Jensen can bring out something good though .

I'm picking up 9 out of this 12, so I'm hoping that the writers have something good and memorable planned for each titles respective milestone .

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'd point out that they're all attached to a major franchise, which has become par for the course over the past fifteen years. These are the books that will survive in pretty much any market, except for Green Arrow, which has a tv show. That's a sad state of affairs, but it's the way these things have gone. I'm worried at some point DC will stop trying anything else and just focus on those franchises.
    i don't think its sad at all

Those are DC's best concepts

Incredible Member

What is the significance of 50 issues?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    What is the significance of 50 issues?
    Back in the old days, the 100th issue would be a special event, and then every 100 issues thereafter. Justice League of America #200 and Batman #400 being prime examples.
    Also #250 often gets celebrated.

These days, most comics don't make it that far before being relaunched or cancelled, so #50 is indeed an achievement.

Some books have even had one-year and two-year anniversary issues. Such as Justice League International #24 which was double-sized and introduced Justice League Europe.

Btw... Tales of the Teen Titans #50 was a double-sized special issue featuring the wedding of Donna Troy and Terry Long, and went on to be nominated for a Kirby Award (Eisner/Harvey before it split) for best single issue.
    It was beat by Swamp Thing which had three issues nominated.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-02-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.