Default Deadpool vs Thanos #1 Spoilers

Deadpool vs Thanos #1

spoilers:

It starts out with Thanos pounding Wade into Pastepool with his fists which is honestly how any Thanos vs (insert Street-Level Character) should end and this isn’t even factoring Thanos’ more esoteric abilities. Thanos then declares that he is removing the immortality curse.

The story now flashes back with Wade infiltrating Saint Cynthia Island and while Victor Von Doom removes his armor, Wade struts in and blasts him to kingdom come. As Wade discusses his reward for killing Dr. Doom, the blood-stained body gets up and comments that after feeling a lot pain and seeing darkness, Victor found himself in his childhood home and saw his mother before promptly blasting Wade away. Sure enough, Wade gets to see his baby as his near death experience has him in a hotel, pouring a drink, wearing a bath robe and sporting hair and a mustache like Lionel Richie. Death suddenly appears in the mirror and begs for help. Bad news folks who ship Wade with Shiklah or Copycat or Siryn or Steve Rogers (You SICK people) looks like Death is his one true love

Meanwhile in Malevolina Port, a sailor is watching the news stating how no one is dying and Wade having lost the leverage of threatening death, offers the man some “dirty Fury money” to take him to Taino Island to visit the Chicken Man, er I mean Black Talon.

We find out that the Avengers and Dr Strange visited his abode before Wade and Talon simply states that making people immortal would be bad for business and then he remarks about the curse that Thanos has placed on Wade. Wade concludes that Thanos has kidnapped Death and he tells the Turkey that he has a plan (if there are three words and an article that Wade can utter that should send shivers down his enemy’s spine it’s “I have a plan”) , unless of course the enemy is Thanos.

It wasn’t a completely bad plan actually, he had Black Talon sacrifice a goat, sic’ed the Avengers on Dr. Doom, and took one of Cable’s spaceships from the future so he could go to toe to toe with the Mad Titan. If it wasn’t for the ”fight Thanos” part it would actually be a decent plan

The story is now back to the present with Pastepool and Thanos removes the curse which sends Wade off between life and death and this time is in a blizzard frantically digging for Death who appears and calls him her one true champion. To say that Thanos is most unpleased with this development is a HUGE understatement.

Back in Taino Island, the zombies are protesting against Black Talon since re-animated humans have more rights than them before the leader gets incinerated by some guy who kind of reminds me of Emo-boy Prime (BOOOOO) who asks for Deadpool’s location.

In Starlin’s Bar, the remaining Blood Brother (whose name is Gary btw) is moaning about why his twin brother is still dead when he gets blasted by the Guardians of the Galaxy who ask him about Thanos.

Finally, Thanos has restored Wade back with Necromancy and Science and offers him a large assortment of jewels to help him find Death and Wade answers that he’ll do it for free (C’mon Wade)

end of spoilers

I admit that I had some reservations about this mini when I first heard of it because I like both titular characters in particular I like certain characterizations of both characters.

I like that Thanos is not being portrayed as a one note villain that some writers tend to do and his voice is more in line with Starlin, Giffen, and Marz’s characterizations of the Mad Titan which I like.

Looks like Seely emphasizes the more wise-crackin Deadpool in the vain of Fabian Nicieza rather than the comedy/tragedy style of Joe Kelly and Duggan & Posehn. As long as he doesn’t go over board like Daniel Way it should be fine.

It’s a decent start and I’m curious as to how it ends. Looks like this "vs" will be more in the line of Hawkeye vs Deadpool which was pretty good and like I said in the spoiler, no street level character should expect to stand a chance against Thanos.

Seeing Deadpool’s mindscape in his life or death visions makes me wonder whose mindscape with you dread visiting, Thanos or Deadpool’s? If you’d like to see a glimpse of the Mad Titan’s mindscape, check out the Infinity Revelation where there is a scene where Adam Warlock and Thanos find themselves in each other’s minds.

Heh, my three favorite Marvel characters all have several screws loose. Maybe I should check out more Moon Knight stories to possibly make it a quartet?
    Last edited by pinoypanzer; 09-03-2015 at 06:17 PM.

It definitely works as an opening and a quick line at the beginning of the recap page solves a lot of continuity problems. Death is Deadpool's one true love, but since this takes place before Duggan's run will she stay that way?

It's good set up, properly and immediately dismissing the notion that the vs. in the title involves a physical battle, and explaining why Thanos would associate with Deadpool.

Plus more than anything we get to see the return of spoilers:
    Black Talon! I honestly don't know him from anything aside from his supremely hilarious appearance during the Joe Kelly run on Pool! But was happy to see him again.
    end of spoilers

That's worth price of admission right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    It definitely works as an opening and a quick line at the beginning of the recap page solves a lot of continuity problems. Death is Deadpool's one true love, but since this takes place before Duggan's run will she stay that way?

It's good set up, properly and immediately dismissing the notion that the vs. in the title involves a physical battle, and explaining why Thanos would associate with Deadpool.
    She's a fickle one that gal, as Thanos knows all too well.

Plus more than anything we get to see the return of spoilers:
    Black Talon! I honestly don't know him from anything aside from his supremely hilarious appearance during the Joe Kelly run on Pool! But was happy to see him again.
    end of spoilers

That's worth price of admission right there.
    For anyone curious, here's a peek from issue 29 of that much earlier run

Deadpool29p14.jpg

This book had some funny moments, but wasn't as good as Duggan or Bunn's 'Pool dialogue. I di like the aspect of Deadpool competing with Thanos for shagging Death.

After checking out Seely's X-Position and taking up his suggestion on re-reading Deadpool/Death Annual '98 it looks like the
    spoilers:

the caped guy who vaguely reminds me of emo-boy prime (from purely a visual point of view) is Ajax looking like he did when he went by A-Man/Francis.
    end of spoilers