Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Superman: Lois & Clark Brings Preboot Husband and Wife Back to Main Continuity

SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK Brings Preboot Husband & Wife Back to Main DC Continuity

Source: Newsarama

http://www.newsarama.com/25766-super...ontinuity.html

For readers who wanted the pre-Flashpoint Superman back on the main DCU earth, Superman: Lois and Clark is a wish come true.

Thanks to the events of Convergence, it's been revealed that the older, married, pre-reboot versions Clark Kent and Lois Lane are alive and well on DC's Prime Earth — hiding for years among the residents of the "New 52" universe.
    Dan Jurgens interview with Newsarama about the upcoming Superman: Lois and Clark book. I am fan of the new 52 Lois-Clark relationship fan (personally) but still I found the interview interesting.

Out of all the Robins, Jason Todd is my favourite

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ah, I was honestly right about to scour the net to look for a new interview, thanks. So, did this Superman go by Clark also, I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Ah, I was honestly right about to scour the net to look for a new interview, thanks. So, did this Superman go by Clark also, I wonder...
    I don't see why he would change his name.
    Although, he's probably figured out that there's another Clark Kent and Lois Lane on this Earth.

And I wonder if Post-Flashpoint Lois "outing" Post-Flashpoint Superman is making life difficult for Pre-Flashpoint Clark... It's possible that Post-Flashpoint Superman's enemies could mistake the two. Especially with Post-Flashpoint Clark travelling abouts...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

I'm really not sure what the thought process behind setting this on the main Earth was, other than an odd resistance to having mainline books outside of the main universe (which Justice League 3001 is already doing).

It's both a huge complication to the title and the general Super-line, and a bummer for this version of Superman himself; let the guy go home.

Like, maybe it'll be a fun book, but damn.
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-02-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    It's both a huge complication to the title and the general Super-line, and a bummer for this version of Superman himself; let the guy go home.
    "Complication" just means conflict to me. Conflict is great fodder for good storytelling. Sure, it could be awful, but it be really interesting, too. And I think the idea of going home is part of that conflict. I wouldn't be surprised if that idea isn't already built into the plan for this title already. Plenty of great hero's journeys are about lost heroes in strange lands who are trying to find a way home (e.g. The Odyssey, Gulliver's Travels).

Can we just let Captain Walk about go? He sucked! His people get MURDERED in cold blood and he pulls a Forest Gump only slower. Being Superman for Him was an obligation not a calling like it was for his predecessor. No one respected him. This guy went out with a WIMPER and you expect me to just forget about it plus I got a better Superman now and even as a shadow of his former self right now has been more inspiring then this guy ever was DEAD or Alive. Hell I'd rather Jordan Elliot had gotten a second chance instead of this guy.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    "Complication" just means conflict to me. Conflict is great fodder for good storytelling. Sure, it could be awful, but it be really interesting, too. And I think the idea of going home is part of that conflict. I wouldn't be surprised if that idea isn't already built into the plan for this title already. Plenty of great hero's journeys are about lost heroes in strange lands who are trying to find a way home (e.g. The Odyssey, Gulliver's Travels).
    Oh, I get that. I understand it's there to give these characters a focused narrative hook that just popping in for more adventures in the pre-Flashpoint universe wouldn't have. But it sucks to think that canonically pre-Flashpoint Superman's life involves one year under a strange dome and the first decade of his son's life stranded on a parallel Earth. By the time they return home, they won't have seen their friends and family in ten years.

Then again, DC once decided it was a happy ending to leave the original Superman in a bubble world with Lois cut off from the rest of the universe, so I don't know. At least that's been undone.

Can we just let Captain Walk about go? He sucked! His people get MURDERED in cold blood and he pulls a Forest Gump only slower. Being Superman for Him was an obligation not a calling like it was for his predecessor. No one respected him. This guy went out with a WIMPER and you expect me to just forget about it plus I got a better Superman now and even as a shadow of his former self right now has been more inspiring then this guy ever was DEAD or Alive. Hell I'd rather Jordan Elliot had gotten a second chance instead of this guy.
    I'm not a big fan of pre-Flashpoint Superman either (or any of the subtly different Post-Crisis iterations), but contrary to my negativity toward the premise, I do think the book could be fun. I enjoyed the Convergence two-parter.

And the idea of Superman trying to suss out supervillains based on what he knows from his own universe is admittedly cool and could be used for any number of interesting plots.
    Last edited by Cipher; 09-03-2015 at 02:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'd be down for a 'renew your vows' story, but bringing the Superman from the old continuity into the current one-there are other characters it would be better to do that with. Just the idea that there's a Superman around who's so much more powerful than the actual Superman we're supposed to be following makes it even more ridiculous.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I got frustrated with the way the character was portrayed the last decade prior to FLASHPOINT as well,but Post-Crisis Superman was far more than what the later creators made of him. The CONVERGENCE prelude by Jurgens seemed to ignore the later, weaker characterization and brought the character back to the guy he was before Didio and co ruined him. If this version follows suit, even better.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-03-2015 at 05:48 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I'd be down for a 'renew your vows' story, but bringing the Superman from the old continuity into the current one-there are other characters it would be better to do that with. Just the idea that there's a Superman around who's so much more powerful than the actual Superman we're supposed to be following makes it even more ridiculous.
    Well to be fair, New 52/DC YOU Superman was likely more powerful than Post-Crisis Superman until recent events. Plus, we really don't know how powerful Post-Crisis Superman may be here as we haven't actually been told or shown yet. For all we know, one of the reasons he's been mostly MIA from the big events is that he was severely depowered when he came to this Earth. He may not have his full power set here due to it being a different dimensional plane.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    He may not have his full power set here due to it being a different dimensional plane.
    That (or extremely low levels) was one of my initial thoughts when I read he had been 'here' for a few years.

So we now we have two different Superman living in the same world and time, and I'm going to be honest that I don't think this is a bad thing. For those like me who are enjoying the changes going on with Superman in Yang's series can read that while those who want to read old school Lois lane and Superman can read this series. Everybody wins in a sense.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    new 52 superman better? the guy that lets people blackmail him and does nothing about it? suuuuuuure

I'm happy that post crisis superman is back, but not this way. If DC wanted him back they had to choose:
    1. return to a pre-flashpoint universe, then open a can of worms.

2. just do a old-man logan, take the less interesting version of superman out of picture and substitute for a older and more interesting version.

Astonishing Member

Personally I think putting on Earth 0 is more interesting than just putting them on mirror image of pre-flashpoint Earth. It's a brand new land for them to explore and it keeps from stagnation also I think it will help to divorce post-flashpoint Superman from pre-flashpoint Superman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Personally I think putting on Earth 0 is more interesting than just putting them on mirror image of pre-flashpoint Earth. It's a brand new land for them to explore and it keeps from stagnation also I think it will help to divorce post-flashpoint Superman from pre-flashpoint Superman.
    I agree. I find the premise intriguing and exciting. There are so many questions it raises that pique the curiosity and I'm fascinated by the various issues the characters have to juggle from adapting to a new world, to being new parents, to being undercover, to dealing with the alternate universe contrasts and doubles. There's lots of emotion and lots of things at stake right from the start with each of the characters having something unique to deal with, including Jonathan Samuel Kent. It all sounds very interesting to me.