Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

I gotta admit, questionable execution of DOOMED aside, the idea of Doomsday as a virus is a pretty damned cool one. Loved that "killing aura" he had going, and the idea that killing the host only releases the spores.....

I want to see that idea explored more. What if there were an entire planet infected? What if the League gets infected next time? Doomsday could be the germ warfare of the DCU......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Much like DOS with Doomsday as "nothing but rage", they gave Superman an out in Doomed in that Doomsday (probably) wasn't "sentient".

Doomed #1 was written by three different people. Pak's follow-up issue had Superman saying he didn't kill anynone, and he wasn't just talking about his halucegenic dream. Charles Soule said in a earlier interview that Superman wouldn't ever kill, or something like that.

Lobdell likely wanted a Superman that killed and had to deal with it, since a lot of Doomed #1 is Superman coming to terms with having to end Doomsday but there was an out in the issue itself and as far as Pak's and Soule's issues were concerend Superman didn't kill anyone, because it's one of those cases where the enemy wasn't "sentient".

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I really wasn't sure what Superman: Lois & Clark was about but now that I visited the first page of this thread, I am honestly intrigued. For those who read it, is it any good? Is it something that all Superman fans can appreciate? Or is it for a specific fan base?
    I enjoyed it immensely, of course I'm a fan of Pre Flashpoint Superman. If you are interested in reading about an older, more mature Superman give it a shot, otherwise perhaps not. While I think the story isn't for everyone, it was still a fun read.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    We could debate the concept of an adaptation in another thread, but I'll say this here: your reasoning that Murderer of Steel was set in "the real world" and thus not a "comic book movie" is an insult to the numerous films that have achieved a blending of real-world considerations and the fantasy that is at the heart of the comic book genre. Look at the Raimi Spider-Man films, the Marvel Studios films, even Superman: The Movie. Goyer may have complete disdain for the character of Superman, but that doesn't give him the right to recreate the character according to his cynical worldview.
    agree. this serves for both the mOS movie and to new 52 superman.

I'm aware of the majority of Earth-0's NotSoSuperMAN adventures. I was there at the beginning when the character deserved the name Superman. I also recall that while he didn't kill Dr. Light, he did rip Doomsday apart.
    he did hold dr light very close because he got mad he lighted his GF. ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by victorsage View Post
    At best it proves the current state of affairs. I still know people who aren't coming back because they've given up on DC Comics. They are really only getting fans who are willing to give this a shot. The question is how many did they expect to get back.
    yeah, people give up on DC and it will be hard get them back. Specially the fans that DC abused for 5 years.
    also minis doesn't sell well, and superman isn't really superman. DC went for a fridge concept. why not put him in pre-flashpoint world with the classic costume?
    seems like dc wants it to fail.
    on other side a massive relaunch of marvel books too.
    Last edited by Tayswift; 11-11-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Not ridiculous at all. He didn't know a thing about Dr. Light and this guy suddenly blasts Wonder Woman and injures her. Even if they weren't in a relationship, that would be enough to piss him off. So he confronts Light and Arthur apologizes and says he didn't mean it. Now under normal circumstances that would be the end of it. Superman would have listened and figured out that Light didn't have control over his powers and it was indeed an accident. But it wasn't normal circumstances and right at that moment Atomica triggered his head vision that melted his head off.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Not ridiculous at all. He didn't know a thing about Dr. Light and this guy suddenly blasts Wonder Woman and injures her. Even if they weren't in a relationship, that would be enough to piss him off. So he confronts Light and Arthur apologizes and says he didn't mean it. Now under normal circumstances that would be the end of it. Superman would have listened and figured out that Light didn't have control over his powers and it was indeed an accident. But it wasn't normal circumstances and right at that moment Atomica triggered his head vision that melted his head off.
    wonder woman was fine after it, but doctor light died and left his kids and wife. just because superman was pissed off. lol pretty ridiculous for me, he could at least check out if wonder woman was ok, then ask doctor light what happened.

No, Dr. Light died because Atomica killed him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

No, Dr. Light died because Atomica killed him.
    Let's not forget the fact that Superman was violated. Someone invaded his body without his consent and forced him to do something horrible he never would have agreed to, supported, or wanted in any way on any level. It was clearly shown to have deep, traumatic emotional effects on him afterwards.

Superman was power raped and downplaying that just to push a "girls get the short end" agenda is actually fairly offensive.

If Atomica had shrunk down and taken control of Wonder Woman's brain and used her to kill Dr. Light people would be in an uproar about Diana being violated and forced to commit murder. But because it happened to a man, not only do people not care, but they're accusing Superman of being responsible. If any of us even implied that, say, Carol Danvers or Jessica Jones were responsible for their rapes, we'd be banned in a second. But Superman is violated and its fine to use that as a weapon against him.

Perhaps CBR should take another look at their forum rules and see if they can add in some actual equality.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think its more because it happened in a Superman-and-Wonder Woman context that it gets ignored, rather it just being that Superman is a man. I say that because there was uproar over Arthur being tricked into sex with Siren. Although it happened a long time ago Nightwing being raped too is something that lives in infamy. So a man being violated does get attention. That it didn't here tells me there was more interest in complaining over Superman reacting as Wonder Woman's lover right before the violation revealed itself and manifested into a forced act. Deriding that context is more important, apparently.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-11-2015 at 06:27 PM.

BANNED

Solid first issue. I liked it better then the other Superman books that came out in October. Weeks is a decent artist. Looking forward to #2.

I think its more because it happened in a Superman-and-Wonder Woman context that it gets ignored, rather it just being that Superman is a man. I say that because there was uproar over Arthur being tricked into sex with Siren. Although it happened a long time ago Nightwing being raped too is something that lives in infamy. So a man being violated does get attention. That it didn't here tells me there was more interest in complaining over Superman reacting as Wonder Woman's lover right before the violation revealed itself and manifested into a forced act. Deriding that context is more important, apparently.
    That's a good point.

I'd also hazard that Light getting burnt alive also detracts from the point too. Generally, sexual assault doesnt result in a third party getting hurt (not directly, indirectly it certainly does but other people are normally not lit on fire because of it) so that gives people an out; rather than focusing on what Atomica did to Clark they can focus on what Atomica made Clark do to Dr. Light and conveniently leave Atomica out of it.

~ Black Panther.

Oliver Queen getting raped by Shado has also been acknowledged in recent years.