Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Daily Show's" Kalan Prowls the Woods with "Wolverine" & Jubilee

"Daily Show" writer Elliott Kalan discusses his "Wolverine Annual" #1 with a very mortal Logan, Jubilee and her son Shogo on a dangerous camping trip.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

Wasn't sure what to make of the annual, but after reading the interview sounds/looks great. Author already seems to have a better feel for the character then the current running series....

BANNED

Very beautiful art

Wish this was a ongoing.

Spectacular Member

Of course, I have to wait to read the book before making any comments on the story, but questions I had while reading the interview are:

Now that Jubilee is a vampire, with all the powers that come with it minus worry about sunlight, why would she need Wolverine's protection? Her vampirism isn't focused on in the interview, but it could be a reason for the misunderstandings that will be in the book.

Wolverine's blood was what was keeping Jubilee's bloodlust away. Now that Wolverine's blood doesn't have those properties anymore, where is Jubilee getting her blood? Does everyone at JGS make a donation once a month? ()

Will we see how Wolverine feels about Shogo and Jubilee as a parent? Come on! Someone at the school must have questioned whether a teen-aged vampire would be a good mother just because she found a baby.

The art looks great in the book, and I'm sure that Kalan didn't want to give too much away, so we'll see what happens, but Dave Richards, when is Kitty Pride ever called Shadowcat these days? It's like her full name must always be used all the time. The same with "Jean Grey" (who in Bendis' book really should be called "Marvel Girl") and "Emma Frost." The only one who gets a pass (barely) is "Rachel Grey" since her real name is Summers.
    Not Peter David.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post

Wolverine's blood was what was keeping Jubilee's bloodlust away. Now that Wolverine's blood doesn't have those properties anymore, where is Jubilee getting her blood? Does everyone at JGS make a donation once a month? ()
    Jubilee is still besties with X-23 right?

I imagine her blood works just as well

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Jubilee and Logan already had an issue dedicated to her adoption of Shogo... Logan visited Jubilee's old California hangouts with her and Shogo in tow... They discussed how much she has grown up... And how he trusts her with raising the baby. Also, he secretly purchased Jubilee's family home for her if she ever felt like retiring.

Other than that, I really hope this issue lets Jubes shine as a fighter, utilizing her vamp abilities to protect her son. She has had countless lesson on how to protect herself, and doesn't need another issue of how to play safe.

BANNED

Jubilee and Logan together is great and include Shogo is awesome!

Spectacular Member

I don't mind Jubilee being a parent to Shogo as responsibility can be felt at any age and she's not alone in raising him, but I'm not sure how she's an adult all of a sudden. She's supposed to be around the age of the other current X teens... at least several years ago during House of M she was, I guess she's aged past them while they didn't age?

But then again why even think about X-Men ages? No sense can ever be made of it so there's no point.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
    I don't mind Jubilee being a parent to Shogo as responsibility can be felt at any age and she's not alone in raising him, but I'm not sure how she's an adult all of a sudden. She's supposed to be around the age of the other current X teens... at least several years ago during House of M she was, I guess she's aged past them while they didn't age?

But then again why even think about X-Men ages? No sense can ever be made of it so there's no point.
    I think the Wolverine/Jubilee limited series from a couple of years back said she's 17, so she isn't an adult yet; just a girl in her late teens piling on more and more responsibility. I thought it was a brilliant idea by Wood to introduce this element; not every teen mom is a bad mom.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Since Jubilee is a vampire now... She is perpetually stuck at 17 years old, which I find funny that they picked that number for her. Half-way through Generation X, she stated that she was 16 and a half. So... That means about only one half a year passed in around twelve years our time. However, when she was introduced in 1989, she was 12 or 13 (even though the handbook, which was ignored, had her at 15.) The ages never added up with her.

In any event, she had a bday since turning into a vampire. She is 18 in a 17 year old body... With tons more years of experience added on than other kids her age.

I've been wondering since Shogo was introduced whether Jubilee's adopting a child comes from a healthy emotional place.

I mean, vampires can't have children, so Jubilee has, for all intents and purposes, had her ovaries ripped out. She's castrated and that's got to do something to a woman emotionally. I've been wondering since the start if the adoption is some kind of desperate compensation for being castrated. I wonder if this story will deal with that, or just treat the adoption as a purely good sign of her maturation?

BANNED

Wow, I hope that's not the focus at all.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I've been wondering since Shogo was introduced whether Jubilee's adopting a child comes from a healthy emotional place.

I mean, vampires can't have children, so Jubilee has, for all intents and purposes, had her ovaries ripped out. She's castrated and that's got to do something to a woman emotionally. I've been wondering since the start if the adoption is some kind of desperate compensation for being castrated. I wonder if this story will deal with that, or just treat the adoption as a purely good sign of her maturation?
    Isn't that desperate compensation just an anxious reaction against the threat posed by feminism to traditional male power?

i'd hate to think that we'd get such conservative thematics in an x-book, unless we're going for a transgressive, parodical reading.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gailim View Post
    Jubilee is still besties with X-23 right?

I imagine her blood works just as well
    That would be a good explanation if the writers wanted to use it.
    Not Peter David.