Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New Bloodstrike series.

It's pretty much a brainless, not very deep story, but fun, regardless!

Anyone else picking this up?

https://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.ne...icit_900px.jpg
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

I really liked Seeleys run so thought id take a punt on the new series (which was originally solicited a few years ago as continuing the numbering) pretty much expecting it to be terrible but fun in a "hahaLiefeldEXTREEEEME" kinda way.
    And yeah, pretty much just that.
    I gotta admit that i was intrigued by Liefelds sell of it being a more "mature" read than youd expect from him, but then it turned out he just meant he'd be drawing a huge severed penis. Then i eye rolled thinking; Of course thats what he meant!

Not sure how long ill stick with it though as i imagine the novelty will soon wear off. But then, its a Liefeld book so i doubt he'll commit to 6 issues before abandoning it.

---

Now, what id love to see is another Extreme relaunch 2.0 with fresh indie talent reinterpreting the characters. Brandon Grahams Prophet was amazeballs. Now i want Ales Kots Brigade, Kurtis Wiebes Avengelyne and Ed Brissons Supreme!
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 09-03-2015 at 03:40 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I wanted to try this series, because I was hoping for something totally over the top, cheesy, and silly like from Liefeld's stuff in the 90's. Instead, I got this thing that feels like if Avatar Comics attempted a parody/homage of the original Liefeld work, but with their own personal touches to it.

It's garbage from beginning to end, but not in a fun way. This should have been 90's edgy and not modern day edgy.

I thought it was fun, because it does not take itself seriously.
    (To me, it feels like he's trying to capture the Deadpool vibe - which breaks the fourth wall, gets cut up all the time, etc).

And I think - yes, there was the penis severing thing - which, I thought they did pretty funny (again, for going in expecting a brainless fun read) - but I think the mature has to do more with the severing of limbs and blood and guts. (Which granted, they did back in the day all the time with Bloodstrike and Brigade, since they were clones, they were having Supreme rip their arms off and everything!)

I am curious to see where it goes. Interesting to see the original team being (possibly) in the next issue.

Fantastic Member

I know it's all been said before with Leifeld, but when I look at what he draws - all the classic Leifeldisms which continue to be a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I know it's all been said before with Leifeld, but when I look at what he draws - all the classic Leifeldisms which continue to be a thing...
    I'd question more those male artists draws a female with GINORMOUS breasts that would snap a woman's back, but somehow still held up by that piece of thread...

Fantastic Member

http://img1.rnkr-static.com/user_nod...n-photo-u1.jpg

It's the way almost every thigh or forearm or bicep has to have a weird strap around it. It's the pouches! It's the bizarre hair and the bizarre mouths and the swords everywhere and the crazy-bendy quadruple-barrelled guns! It's the way he draws women...or men...or human bodies in general.
    Last edited by zevious zoquis; 09-09-2015 at 06:11 PM.

http://img1.rnkr-static.com/user_nod...n-photo-u1.jpg
    It's the way almost every thigh or forearm or bicep has to have a weird strap around it. It's the pouches! It's the bizarre hair and the bizarre mouths and the swords everywhere and the crazy-bendy quadruple-barrelled guns! It's the way he draws women...or men...or human bodies in general.
    That look is how I think _every_ female IMAGE character looked. Whether by Rob or otherwise.

I've just finished the first issue. Say, that was much better than I expected. It got a very poor review here, but I honestly feel it is just because Liefeld can't be considered good. If it were credited to Grant Morrison people would rave about the concept of infantile humour, brilliantly coupled with over-the-top gore and violence, thus creating a smorgasbrod of two otherwise antipode worlds.
    Anyway, it is not the greatest comic ever, but an entertaining, even if at times rather questionable ride. Best suited for old geezer wanting to feel juvenile for a couple of minutes.

Love the inking, Rob's always been good at it, and the new style works nicely.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    That look is how I think _every_ female IMAGE character looked. Whether by Rob or otherwise.
    Well my posts have been modded, which is fine. I didn't want to offend anyone. I only posted that pic in response to your point about artists who draw big-boobed women. Leifeld's women look just zany! lol. My point is just that all these specific things that have come to be sort of a running joke about his artwork - he still does them all and its hard to figure out why. I mean part of me thinks he's just having us all on - just a big laugh. But his commitment to that gag would have to be seen as...er...unusual to say the least...

Well my posts have been modded, which is fine. I didn't want to offend anyone. I only posted that pic in response to your point about artists who draw big-boobed women. Leifeld's women look just zany! lol. My point is just that all these specific things that have come to be sort of a running joke about his artwork - he still does them all and its hard to figure out why. I mean part of me thinks he's just having us all on - just a big laugh. But his commitment to that gag would have to be seen as...er...unusual to say the least...
    The thing is, not everyone thinks the things that make Liefeld, Liefeld are a joke or ugly. He still has a large fan base that likes his style. And that is what it is - a style. He draws in a way that is recognizable as his own. Some people may not like the style and may make fun of him, but he draws in his style because it is his style. And there are many fans that enjoy it.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    I've just finished the first issue. Say, that was much better than I expected. It got a very poor review here, but I honestly feel it is just because Liefeld can't be considered good. If it were credited to Grant Morrison people would rave about the concept of infantile humour, brilliantly coupled with over-the-top gore and violence, thus creating a smorgasbrod of two otherwise antipode worlds. Anyway, it is not the greatest comic ever, but an entertaining, even if at times rather questionable ride. Best suited for old geezer wanting to feel juvenile for a couple of minutes.
    Love the inking, Rob's always been good at it, and the new style works nicely.
    Thank you! That's exactly how I felt. If this was probably anyone other than Rob Liefeld, people would probably say the humor is absolutely wonderful, dark, and great! I think, just because Rob has that reputation - you know, from 1990 - when he first began drawing - that he can't catch a break. People just lock onto that. Like he's not drawn since then. Like he's not improved since then. It's like thinking Jeff Matsuda's art still looks exactly the same as his run on NEW MEN (also IMAGE comics). Granted, NEW MEN was a little painful (art and story) - but Jeff Matsuda has gotten recognition because he's done some pretty cool stuff in X-MEN and WOLVERINE (not my artistic style of enjoyment, but definitely talented regardless!)

Leifeld's women look just zany! lol. My point is just that all these specific things that have come to be sort of a running joke about his artwork - he still does them all and its hard to figure out why. I mean part of me thinks he's just having us all on - just a big laugh. But his commitment to that gag would have to be seen as...er...unusual to say the least...
    I think it's called artistic style. For example, JRJR is known for drawing "flat faces and big noses" (so much so that there was a whole interview with him about not drawing a "big nose" when he jumped on the SUPERMAN book recently). And if you look at King Kirby's art - it's pretty flat and lacking the details - does it make it bad? Absolutely not. It's different, yes. Unique, yes. And I think that's just what Rob does. I think he has his style, and he enjoys doing it. I get not everyone is (or should) like it. So I am not trying to convince you to like his art. Only that I don't think it's a gag - I think he sincerely loves comics, and that's just his own style.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    The thing is, not everyone thinks the things that make Liefeld, Liefeld are a joke or ugly. He still has a large fan base that likes his style. And that is what it is - a style. He draws in a way that is recognizable as his own. Some people may not like the style and may make fun of him, but he draws in his style because it is his style. And there are many fans that enjoy it.
    LOL! I need to read the whole thread before I reply. Exactly what I was saying above. But you said it in far fewer lines.

Spectacular Member

Yup enjoying the series and really look forward to Brigade. Despite what many sites would like you to believe art is subjective and many appreciate Rob. I like his style and find a lot of his stories to be fun and entertaining. Does it mean I have bad taste? Of course not one of my favorite series ever was 100Bullets which could be further from Liefeld books.

The best way to think of it is that sometimes people want pizza and sometimes they want a burger.
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Liking Liefeld is love/hate thing.

Sometimes he draws fire and its awesome, sometimes it smoke and its sucks. If he has a great inker on top of his pencils, everyone loves it. If he goes all sketchy and they just colour over top, its hard to look at.

Bloodstrike hits a nice medium of his work. Ron can be a great writer when he applies himself, and he is at a odd quandary with this title as it ties in with the upcoming Brigade HC, so he can't go all balls out (which it already has!) and do crazy things.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Anyone heard when #2 will be out?