Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NuMarvel....

Default NuMarvel....

Is anybody really excited about all these changes? I have stated before that this is to get new readers but your losing older readers. Is this really profitable? Most of my older friends have just looked at Secret Wars as a jumping off period. Now when we added this up we are only 200 issues a month that Marvel will be "missing" but gotta figure this is more than just "us".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Fn Man View Post
    Is anybody really excited about all these changes? I have stated before that this is to get new readers but your losing older readers. Is this really profitable? Most of my older friends have just looked at Secret Wars as a jumping off period. Now when we added this up we are only 200 issues a month that Marvel will be "missing" but gotta figure this is more than just "us".
    IMO, Marvel should have left things alone. The NuMarvel is no different from Marvel Now. Only now it's starting to get really annoying with all of these unnecessary changes to reflect Marvel Studios. For that matter, I am tired of Marvel always cancelling an ongoing series just to reboot it all over again, which is so stupid because it throws everything off.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 09-03-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Most of the best Marvel's writers are gone. Things are getting better in the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Kevin Feige getting full control, but other than Amazing Spider-Man and Spidey, pretty much anything else will be a pass for me. I do think that Marvel desperately needs a new EiC and more important than that, making Ike Perlmutter understand that the fate of the Marvel brand lies in the hands of the creators. Marvel's best creators are leaving simply because Marvel won't pay them well enough, and the lack of top writers in the ANAD books show is not a a good sign for Marvel in the long run. I do think Marvel is dealing with this "reboot/relaunch" way worse than New 52, and I never thought that would be even possible.

Honestly, if Disney is getting hands on with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, SOMETHING must be done to save the Marvel brand, and the soul of the Marvel brand is its comic book line. Think about it, after Civil War and Infinity War, what other big saga the MCU will adapt? There's literally NOTHING worth to adapt after that from the sagas of the recent years. Marvel Comics need to get their stuff together and start investing on paying WELL great writers, bringing them back to the fold. Marvel desperately need top quality talent to shape their future, and I feel that the current writers are just not up there to the task.

Marvel desperately needs Mark Millar, Brian K. Vaughn, Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Matt Fraction, Rick Remender, Jonathan Hickman and the best writers that the Disney money can get in order to shape the future, or the Marvel Cinematic Universe will run out of popular sagas to adapt or take inspiration from. Yes, Marvel Comics has a rich tapestry of stories, but the future clearly doesn't look bright right now. And as long as Ike Perlmutter is the guy in charge, that's not happening. I remember being scared when Disney bought Marvel, but now I feel that maybe Disney and Kevin Feige are Marvel Comics only hope.

Marvel can do without indie hipsters (joking No disrespect to any of them I love BKV, Fraction, Hickman)... They still have industrial top writers like Mark Waid, James Robinson, Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire to name a few (I believe one of them is also indie hipster). Not to say their mainstay like Dan Slott and Brian Michael Bendis. Aren't they also trying to attract writers from other genre like G. Willow Wilson and Hollywood TV writers? And Warren Ellis is still willing to do some issues for them... which is something I guess.

Just fire Al Ewing before he becomes bad by trying to write too many books.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fn Man View Post
    Is anybody really excited about all these changes?
    *looks around and runs away, knowing that any joy and excitement about the new Marvel will be hunted down and shot on sight by haters and pessimists*

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    Marvel can do without indie hipsters (joking No disrespect to any of them I love BKV, Fraction, Hickman)... They still have industrial top writers like Mark Waid, James Robinson, Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire to name a few (I believe one of them is also indie hipster). Not to say their mainstay like Dan Slott and Brian Michael Bendis. Aren't they also trying to attract writers from other genre like G. Willow Wilson and Hollywood TV writers? And Warren Ellis is still willing to do some issues for them... which is something I guess.

Just fire Al Ewing before he becomes bad by trying to write too many books.
    Well, some of these indie hipsters gave us Civil War, Winter Soldier, Infinity and the only brand new Marvel concept and team in Runaways that happens to be one of the considered projects for the MCU in the future, so I feel Marvel is shooting themselves in the foot for not drawing them back to the fold, aka paying their worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    Well, some of these indie hipsters gave us Civil War, Winter Soldier, Infinity and the only brand new Marvel concept and team in Runaways that happens to be one of the considered projects for the MCU in the future, so I feel Marvel is shooting themselves in the foot for not drawing them back to the fold, aka paying their worth.
    I disagree.

BKV clearly runs out of ideas towards his second volume as the story descends into bringing back dead characters and killing some fan favorite just because.

Ed Brubaker wants to focus on period stories and he will have limited options doing Superheroes.

Jonathan Hickman is tired.

Rick Remender clearly enjoys maiming and killing too much for Marvel's taste. He should have born several years earlier and do Wildstorm instead.

Mark Miller can lick goats for all I care. Joking he's so big a name now people adapt his books to movies before the book comes out. Warren Ellis calls this madness, unless it's Miller.

Actually there's another storyline that can carry Marvel's properties in a united fashion brewing under the surface in Jason Aaron's Thor: Roxxon vs the Marvel Universe. I think some hints have already been dropped in the movies and the TV series.

This would actually be a much more realistic motivation behind the villains: They are simply acting as hired mercenaries for Roxxon.

Disney has already done a 180 and embraced properties such as Frozen, so they can easily add a sanitized version of anti-predatory capitalism, especially if there is an environmental message in there.
    Last edited by jphamlore; 09-03-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    I disagree.

BKV clearly runs out of ideas towards his second volume as the story descends into bringing back dead characters and killing some fan favorite just because.

Ed Brubaker wants to focus on period stories and he will have limited options doing Superheroes.

Jonathan Hickman is tired.

Rick Remender clearly enjoys maiming and killing too much for Marvel's taste. He should have born several years earlier and do Wildstorm instead.

Mark Miller can lick goats for all I care. Joking he's so big a name now people adapt his books to movies before the book comes out. Warren Ellis calls this madness, unless it's Miller.
    I don't think these writers have run out of ideas. Obviously they'd rather work on their own books because that's where the real money is to them, besides the fact that they have the creative freedom that it's the best thing that a creator could ask for, but at the same time I believe that if Marvel would pay top talent writers to shape their future, it would be beneficial to all those involved. I'm not saying that Marvel shouldn't invest on young guns, I'm saying that the balance has gone way too much towards writers that still have to prove their worth and that this balance needs to be restore rather sooner than later, in order for the Marvel Comics evolve. Hickman is not "tired", like the others he heard Kirkman's call to arms that these writers would get more money and creative freedom working outside the big 2. I do feel it's time Marvel bring heavy hitters into the fold to shape their future, sadly that's not what I'm seeing happening in the ANAD books.

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Actually there's another storyline that can carry Marvel's properties in a united fashion brewing under the surface in Jason Aaron's Thor: Roxxon vs the Marvel Universe. I think some hints have already been dropped in the movies and the TV series.

This would actually be a much more realistic motivation behind the villains: They are simply acting as hired mercenaries for Roxxon.

Disney has already done a 180 and embraced properties such as Frozen, so they can easily add a sanitized version of anti-predatory capitalism, especially if there is an environmental message in there.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I don't think these writers have run out of ideas. Obviously they'd rather work on their own books because that's where the real money is to them, besides the fact that they have the creative freedom that it's the best thing that a creator could ask for, but at the same time I believe that if Marvel would pay top talent writers to shape their future, it would be beneficial to all those involved. I'm not saying that Marvel shouldn't invest on young guns, I'm saying that the balance has gone way too much towards writers that still have to prove their worth and that this balance needs to be restore rather sooner than later, in order for the Marvel Comics evolve. Hickman is not "tired", like the others he heard Kirkman's call to arms that these writers would get more money and creative freedom working outside the big 2. I do feel it's time Marvel bring heavy hitters into the fold to shape their future, sadly that's not what I'm seeing happening in the ANAD books.
    Why are you bent on destroying my good name? Hickman is doing several creator owned books outside Avengers gig for what, ever since his Avengers gig? I don't get your enmity. Why am I the victim here? I don't have the Complex!

I actually think Marvel's doing a lot of really interesting stuff. And it's stuff that, frankly, should appeal to most long-time fans. Marvel's putting out books that plenty of people on here have been wanting for a while. Of course, those books will fail, because recent history has shown that the old fans are full of shit when it comes to what they want to see. People said they wanted Marvel to do a horror book, and then they've refused to support the last couple Ghost Rider series, or the Morbius series, and you can bet your ass they won't support Howling Commandos, or Weirdworld, or Black Knight.

Beyond that, though, Marvel is putting out a hugely diverse range of titles. You like big epic cosmic action? Ultimates has you covered. You want classic Avengers stuff? ANAD Avengers is what you need. You want something funny? Squirrel Girl. You want something dark and creepy? Carnage is probably going to go there. You want martial arts weirdness? Karnak will be all the martial arts weirdness you can handle. You're a fan of Westerns? There's good odds on 1872 continuing. You want a book that looks gorgeous? Angela, Old Man Logan and Weirdworld, the books with Marvel's top 3 artists (Stephanie Hans, Andrea Sorrentino, Mike Del Mundo). High school superhero? Ms. Marvel. College superhero? Starbrand and Nightmask.

Seriously, take a look at what they have. If you can't find at least 6 books that you're not excited about, then it's because you do not want to be excited. If there's nothing in the list making you say, "Holy shit, that looks like it'll be amazing, I am so psyched for that" - then quite frankly, the problem is with you, not Marvel.

My pull list will be smaller than it was. That's not because I have any problem with ANAD Marvel. I've still got a dozen titles on my pull list, and not everything's been revealed yet so that may still grow. But it comes down to my own taste. There's a lot of books on there that I think look like they'll be great, but which just aren't my thing. All-New Hawkeye is going to be an excellent book, but I won't be picking it up, because my own, personal tastes are different from what the book will be doing.

And as far as Marvel not hiring top-notch writers goes, that's bullshit. Absolute, 100% Grade-A bullshit. Marvel has a ton of fantastic writers. Mark Waid, Charles Soule, Al Ewing, Warren Ellis, Nick Spencer, G. Willow Wilson, Marguerite Bennett, Jeff Lemire, Jason Aaron, Peter David, Sam Humphries, Greg Pak, and more. They may not be the writers you've come to enjoy the past few years, but so what? When Jonathan Hickman first started at Marvel, I'm sure their were complaints about him not being Kurt Busiek. And Busiek had to deal with not being Roy Thomas. And Roy Thomas got flack for not being Stan Lee. They all proved themselves, so why the hell are you so unwilling to let the amazingly talented creators working at Marvel do the same? I'm disappointed at Kelly Sue DeConnick leaving Marvel, but I'm excited to see what Butters and Fazekas bring to Captain Marvel, and I'm excited to see G. Willow Wilson writing two books. Kieron Gillen's gone, but I've got Al Ewing filling the niche of Clever And Hilarious British Writer. And in a few years, these writers will take a break from Marvel, and I'll be excited about the new talent rising behind them.

Because that's how it's supposed to work. The Old Guard make way for the New Guard, who grow to become the Old Guard themselves. There must always be room for fresh new talent. Saying that Marvel should just do whatever they can to keep the same talent eternally is just ridiculous. Aside from the fact that it assumes the creators have no actual ambitions of their own beyond "be given money," it does a huge disservice to new creators, by saying they should have fewer opportunities to actually be given a break.

To hell with that. I'm glad that so many creators have recently left Marvel, because it's giving other creators the opportunity to step up and prove themselves. And if you're not willing to give those creators a chance, then once again, that's entirely on you, not Marvel. And if you're going to refuse to give those creators a chance while calling yourself an "old-school fan," then to be blunt, you're a really shitty fan.

I'm actually more interested in seeing new talent than the same old "Architects". I'm excited for the Josh Williamson and Greg Weisman's Marvel work.
    We need better comics

BANNED

I think comic fans are fickle like they've always been. Something new or different is always portrayed as evidence that Marvel has lost touch with the
    older fans. The current generation of long-time readers (which includes me) isn't any different than the previous ones. You can read letter pages from
    Silver and Bronze Age comics and hear the same accusations and complaints as you read here now. I was reading letters in one of my early Thor or FF
    comics not long ago, and there were already "long-time readers" complaining that Marvel was expanding their line too quickly and the comics were
    suffering for it. At the time, I doubt there were 10 different titles every month, but the old-timers were panicking because Marvel was growing. That was
    over 50 years ago, and Marvel is going strong. If people can learn to take announcements in stride and try to remain optimistic until they actually read
    the books, these boards would be a much more pleasant place. Instead, misery gets spread out to all of us, and it eventually has a negative impact to
    people who were content before. Isn't it exhausting using energy to keep a chip on your shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I think comic fans are fickle like they've always been. Something new or different is always portrayed as evidence that Marvel has lost touch with the
    older fans. The current generation of long-time readers (which includes me) isn't any different than the previous ones. You can read letter pages from
    Silver and Bronze Age comics and hear the same accusations and complaints as you read here now. I was reading letters in one of my early Thor or FF
    comics not long ago, and there were already "long-time readers" complaining that Marvel was expanding their line too quickly and the comics were
    suffering for it. At the time, I doubt there were 10 different titles every month, but the old-timers were panicking because Marvel was growing. That was
    over 50 years ago, and Marvel is going strong. If people can learn to take announcements in stride and try to remain optimistic until they actually read
    the books, these boards would be a much more pleasant place. Instead, misery gets spread out to all of us, and it eventually has a negative impact to
    people who were content before. Isn't it exhausting using energy to keep a chip on your shoulder?
    Exactly. It's the same tired old "they changed it now it sucks" bullshit that's been around forever. Marvel's fine. ANAD Marvel will be good. They'll see a boost to their sales temporarily, and then over the course of a few months, they'll return to where they had been, because that's how it always works. Some books will be successful, some will fail, and if we're honest, most of the whiny "long-time fans" bitching about how they're jumping off Marvel will probably either stick around or come back after a few months.