Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: NuMarvel....

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    Whether it was meant to or not it wasn't seen that way by the vast majority of readers. The themes it tried to introduce, the tone it took, was at odds with the rest of what Marvel was publishing. Until AXIS forced the issue very very few other titles acknowledged it. And to be honest, I'm kind of glad of that.
    Well, but that doesn't matter for what was being discussed- you said Remender was only given peripheral titles and that was false, since he was given the book that was supposed to be the MU's flagship.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Well, but that doesn't matter for what was being discussed- you said Remender was only given peripheral titles and that was false, since he was given the book that was supposed to be the MU's flagship.

At no point was it even the Flagship Avengers title though. Let alone anything else.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Marvel seemed to think it was...

Marvel.com: So you had this great idea for a book you wanted to do, but suddenly we’ve got this line-wide initiative and it turns out to be the perfect flagship title for the whole thing. It’s the first book coming out, it’s got a big name artist in John Cassaday, it’s going to lead the way for Marvel NOW!—what’s all that like?

Rick Remender: Well, there’s no pressure there right? And then you find out that the book is going to be the flagship of the new re-launch. Hey, no pressure! [Laughs]

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    At no point was it even the Flagship Avengers title though. Let alone anything else.
    Marvel also said that this was going to be the flagship bridge between the X-men and the Avengers too...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    So the claim that Marvel's best writers have left is very much subjective, and very much insulting to every single writer left at Marvel.
    oh for heaven's sake! that's his/her opinion, and they are certainly entitled to having it and sharing with the rest of us. it's not insulting to those other writers in the least.

i think it's wonderful that you have some favorites that will be featured in the books.

personally, i love jeff lemire's work, even though he doesn't seem to do well on team books historically speaking. and cullen bunn is one to watch out for as well, because his magneto comic was magnificent.

g.willow does well with ms. marvel, but she's by no means proven herself otherwise. her run on x-men was nothing to write home about, but i hope she gets future chances to work on different things. i find charles soule completely overrated, and on paper, his stories are some of the most boring, monotonous things i have ever had the displeasure of reading.

jason aaron only does well with projects that he has personal love for and it shows in his work. he didn't seem to love wolverine and the x-men all that much, and it was alarming to see his name listed on that while the superior thor stuff was coming out at the same time.

mark waid, while a respected vet in the industry, hasn't done anything of note recently, but i hope to see more soon.

i'm pleased as a peach rick remender is no longer working exclusively with marvel. and i wish kieron gillen were staying in the new marvel era...bendis is bendis and i doubt he will ever change.

the point is, regardless how anyone feels about the talent coming or going at marvel, expressing disappointment with the creative departures or the ones staying-behind is by no means insulting. it's just an opinion. one of many.
    Last edited by AcesX1X; 09-08-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Avengers was Marvel's flagship Avengers title.

There's was a lot of hype for Uncanny Avengers but that really soured when Remender told his critics to drink hobo piss and die. When you add in the delays and you really do not have the makings of a stellar flagship title.

Axis was a cool idea for an event but it was sandwiched between Original Sin and Secret Wars, which basically sucked all the air out of the room and made Axis look like things strange circus that was tail spinning into the drain as everyone ramped up for the main event that is (and was) Secret Wars.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No. Not really.
    How about if the series had a very good writer like Dennis Hopeless, Gerry Conway, or Roger Stern?

I'm not incredibly excited for the post Secret-Wars Marvel. I was pulling about a dozen to fifteen books a month before Secret Wars. Out of the books that have been solicited so far, there are five books that I plan on pulling post Secret Wars. None of which are must reads for me and I might put a hold on purchasing any new books for a while as i catch up on my backlog of issues that I have purchased through Comixology sales over the past year that I haven't gotten to as well as nearly thirty-five years of the Fantastic Four that I still have to go in my full series read through of book.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

I have come to learn the modern comic publishing game
    and because of that have no delusion of collecting many of these titles for years to come;
    but for now, I will pretend and pick up Iron Man #1 and all the others that follow as if this
    is the beginning of something good and long and prosperous.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Avengers was Marvel's flagship Avengers title.

There's was a lot of hype for Uncanny Avengers but that really soured when Remender told his critics to drink hobo piss and die. When you add in the delays and you really do not have the makings of a stellar flagship title.

Exactly. It was very similar (albeit with a writer who was nowhere near the same level of profile) when Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men was launched as THE flagship X-Men title back in the mid 2000s.

Marvel might have publicised it as that, might have wanted it to be. But ultimately it never overtook Uncanny as the lead book, because it was always so delayed that it could not direct the course of the X-Men titles in any way.

It just remained a high profile book on the periphery of the other titles. It's own thing, which no other books could interact and from which nothing of lasting importance on other books could ever occur.

Much like Uncanny Avengers until AXIS. Even then its effects were barely acknowledged through other titles.

Really, only Avengers and New Avengers were lead books during that period. Hickman was directing the Marvel Universe through those books just as Bendis had before him. Just with a very different tone.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

I agree 100% that Uncanny Avengers was completely overshadowed by Hickman's book - but did it ever really have a chance? It had some of the most bonkers ideas in recent years - Skull Onslaught? No offense to Remender, but between this and "Dimension Z," I feel like he's typecasting himself as the guy who writes INSANE storylines full of almost Silver-Age wackiness.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Hopefully this is the last reboot of Marvel for a while. It's been approximately three years since the debut of Marvel NOW! post-AvX and now this? Hopefully they stay reboot-free for at least a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    I agree 100% that Uncanny Avengers was completely overshadowed by Hickman's book - but did it ever really have a chance? It had some of the most bonkers ideas in recent years - Skull Onslaught? No offense to Remender, but between this and "Dimension Z," I feel like he's typecasting himself as the guy who writes INSANE storylines full of almost Silver-Age wackiness.
    It had a chance but I honestly think the delays killed it, especially when Remender kept deciding to stick with Acuna as artist. As to Remender's writing, Marvel knew what they were getting into. This IS the guy that brought us Franken-Castle.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 09-09-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: :(

it had plenty of chance as the flagship and actually showed a lot of promise.

then remender and cassaday tanked the book on their own with a combination of late page submissions by cassaday and remender telling fans to go kill themselves.

unfortunately the book never recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fn Man View Post
    Is anybody really excited about all these changes? I have stated before that this is to get new readers but your losing older readers. Is this really profitable? Most of my older friends have just looked at Secret Wars as a jumping off period. Now when we added this up we are only 200 issues a month that Marvel will be "missing" but gotta figure this is more than just "us".
    I wish they'd go to OldMarvel. 1968 should do it.

Sandy Hausler

The day of books hitting 100 issues is dead at Marvel. Look for a renumbering every 2 years.