Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default David & Sliney Bring "Spider-Man 2099" Back To The Present

"Spider-Man 2099" writer Peter David and artist Will Sliney tease Miguel O'Hara's new series, which gives him a new job and a new costume.

Full article here.

" Kris Anka designed a great suit."

Oh...I like Anka's art, but I have to say I really really dislike his redesigns, between this and that boring Spider Woman costume.

I like reading about Miguel's adventures, but I still wished if this took place in the future, the year 2099 is as much a part of Miguel's character removing it makes this book seem awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    I like reading about Miguel's adventures, but I still wished if this took place in the future, the year 2099 is as much a part of Miguel's character removing it makes this book seem awkward.
    With Miguel still being back in the present primarily, working for Peter, and fighting Peters villains, it really does beg the question of "what's the point?"

The original suit was great & still is great. Tweak it if you absolutely must, but this? There's no need for it & I don't like it at all.

All-New Member

Yeah. They said the editors wanted to change it "especially since Peter has had so many"

And which suit do they keep coming back to? The original.

Amazing Member

Why marvel thinks it's good to take these alt. universe characters and stick them in 616 is beyond me (Old Man Logan, Miles, and now Spider-Man 2099). Not only are their settings half their appeal, but it also makes it more confusing for new readers, while at the same time making the alt. version woefully redundant, as their 616 counterpart will inevitably win out as far as attention and popularity are concerned.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I'm looking forward to this title, but yeah....that new costume design is awful. The original costume....nothing could be better. Incidentally the new design for Peter is horrific too. I'm not sure why they feel the need to update what doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedofLife View Post
    Why marvel thinks it's good to take these alt. universe characters and stick them in 616 is beyond me (Old Man Logan, Miles, and now Spider-Man 2099). Not only are their settings half their appeal, but it also makes it more confusing for new readers, while at the same time making the alt. version woefully redundant, as their 616 counterpart will inevitably win out as far as attention and popularity are concerned.
    THIS^^^^ 1000% percent. You didn't mention Spidey Gwen--isn't she supposed to be in the main marvel universe now too (which makes this scenario even worse :/)

iMan 42s

The costume being an editor thing doesn't surprise me. The chest logo should just be the old one which is actually perfect. One of the things about Miguel's costume that worked so well was how simple it was but that logo is kind of big and busy. The rest of the costume doesn't bother me as much because it does look very familiar as 2099 but the original did knock it right out of the park.

I feel 2099 does sort of the same thing as the new Batman Beyond did. Where in this case instead of replacing the character from the future with one of the past they replaced the future with the past and so it's just Scarlet spider but from the future. However I do highly enjoy 2099 and is one of the best spider titles to be reading it is odd this was the thought process.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    THIS^^^^ 1000% percent. You didn't mention Spidey Gwen--isn't she supposed to be in the main marvel universe now too (which makes this scenario even worse :/)
    No she will be staying in her own book and will only be outside of it in spiderverse.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Judging solely by the covers, I assume the big shock ending has something to do with time travel. On the second cover, seeing the "dark" Parker Industries building with Chinese writing underneath reminds me of the Stark-Fujikawa company merger of 2099.

Fantastic Member

Another atrocious Anka redesign. I really wish Marvel would stop using him as their go-to person whenever redesigning costumes. The classic design was awesome, as is/was Kane's Scarlet Spider costume. This is... a mess.

Regardless, I know Mr. David will continue to do the character justice.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedofLife View Post
    Yes to all this.

All-New Member

That's if wolverine doesn't stay dead. I think they really want to keep Laura there. And with old man Logan, the Logan fans aren't AS angry. Plus he doesn't have to wear the costume anymore. And looks more like Hugh Jackman will soon. Miles will fill the role of classic spider like marvel wants, while letting Pete grow up like many fans do. Get their cake and eat it too. I'm not sure where spidey 2099 fits in though